Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

LindsayDobbinson Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 1:00:39 AM(UTC)
LindsayDobbinson

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just bought a set of 12x12 cutting mats from the NZ importer and they are not very sticky. I have to hold the card for them to cut.Has anyone else had the same problem? The brighter colours are great.The importer has not replied to my emails which is disappointing.
YvetteH1 Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 4:33:47 AM(UTC)
YvetteH1

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Yes, my new ones have the same symptoms. I'll be interested in what you learn.
I should mention that I purchased mine at another store though.

Edited by user Monday, December 05, 2011 4:36:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added more information

maggieklein1 Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 4:50:32 AM(UTC)
maggieklein1

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 186 post(s)
Yes!I got mine from cricut rewards and called the support line. They said to scrape it with the cricut spatula tool.NOTHING.Then they said to wipe it with a damp cloth.Again,NOTHING.I'm considering lightly spraying them with spray adhesive!Has anyone tried that?
JoySikes Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 4:59:19 AM(UTC)
JoySikes

Was thanked: 3258 time(s) in 2043 post(s)
I bought some new mats from Hobby Lobby....a new look from the old ones, so I will assume thats the ones you are speaking of. They are HORRIBLE!! Very sticky to the touch, but they don't hold the paper down very well. I found that if I use a brayer and roll it over the entire piece of paper, that helps. Also, I cleaned one of the mats( although it really didn't need it )with baby wipes and then heated it with my heat gun to dry it....don't get too close to the mat or it will warp...ask me how I know this! Blushing Anyway, that made it very sticky!! I just opened the other mat yesterday and it is the same way, so I will be giving it a bath today. It's very very aggravating that the new mats are less than sticky and that I had to go to all the trouble to get them to hold paper. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I hope my lil tips helped!
c2cm Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 6:39:35 AM(UTC)
c2cm

United States

so joy are you saying if we wipe the mat wn with baby wipes and dry it..carefully BigGrin the mat will become sticky again? thanks for any help...
HeatherG23 Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 6:41:26 AM(UTC)
HeatherG23

United States

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I know, they re-styled them and they don't hold onto to the paper. I have to spray mine with tacky spray. I was if that happened to anyone else and I guess it has.
Hodmom Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 7:11:19 AM(UTC)
Hodmom

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 6723 time(s) in 3886 post(s)
I have also used repositional stencil adhesive spray to get more life out of my mats, but I have learned that you want to keep the spray on the cutting part and avoid the edges of the mat that go under the roller, or the adhesive will over time, build up on your rollers and affect how your mat feeds. Trying to clean caked up adhesive is no fun. I have heard that Joy's method of wiping the mats with a baby wipe will also revive the sticky. Plain old fashioned scotch tape on the edges of your paper works too, but that can be a real pain. I haven't tried these new mats, but I have had plenty of experience trying to be cheap and not replace my old ones until they are beyond dead.
Riley1 Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 10:45:34 AM(UTC)
Riley1

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I use scotch removable tape for all my mats. Drives me nuts when the paper doesn't stick and have to stop in the middle of a project problem solved with the removable tape, and it doesn't rip the paper when removed.
KTPi Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 1:08:05 PM(UTC)
KTPi

I have used "Sulky KK 2000" Temporary Spray Adhesive. It is mostly for sewing/embroidery. It's used to hold the material in place while the machine stiches. It disapates after a several hours on the material. I have not bought the new mats b/c this works so well on the old mats. Yes, it does gum up on the edges after several uses, so keep that area clean! You can find it in the sewing/stabilizer area, and runs aboout $14.00, but if you use a coupon, it's well worth the money/effort.BigGrin
scrapalette Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 4:31:08 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19028 time(s) in 8503 post(s)
If you have the new mat, with the black outline around the cutting area, they have a different adhesive on them and it needs to be activated. Run the mat under warm/almost hot water and let it dry or place the plastic cover on and burnish the mat with a scrapper or credit cart (to create friction/heat) to activate the glue.
CaraFeeney Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 5:59:35 PM(UTC)
CaraFeeney

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
The mats with the black border are Cricut Imagine mats because they provide the machine registration marks that are needed for precise results with printing and cutting. Cricut Imagine mats do work with Expression. The Cricut Imagine FAQ site provides the following information if your mat isn't very tacky: Wash the mat under warm water for approximately one minute (no soap). Let it air dry. If the mat is still not sticky enough, use a plastic scraper to roughen up the surface of the mat. Repeat the scraping as needed to improve the tackiness. If there is a buildup of lint or paper dust on the mat it can be washed with warm water and gently rubbed by hand to refresh the mat. I have looked for the old mats but havn't been able to find them in my area.
cricutcrazyscrappr Offline
#12 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 8:38:20 PM(UTC)
cricutcrazyscrappr

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 547 time(s) in 335 post(s)
I have had the same problem with the new mats not being sticky and it is VERY frustrating!!!! Why don't they come with instructions if the glue needs to be activated on how to do it? I ended up cutting a 12x24 mat in half (as they are still the old kind of mat) and using that after ruining lots of paper.
LindsayDobbinson Offline
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 1:12:34 AM(UTC)
LindsayDobbinson

Well thanks a bunch ladies - it is very interesting that they have this problem and that I am not the only one. I shall go and put the washing and friction to the test tomorrow.BigGrin