Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

amyscats Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2011 2:39:29 PM(UTC)
amyscats

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 48 post(s)
I've been seeing some very lovely charger plates decorated with vinyl sayings. I bought some of the plates at Michaels when they were the deal of the day at 49 cents, but now I realized that I don't really know how to create this project.

First, what are the cut settings? Or does getting a kiss cut really matter when the vinyl will stay on permanently?

Second, do you use an adhesive? Or does static cling do the job?

Third, which could well answer the second question, do you use any kind of polyurethane or Mod Podge coating? If I use Mod Podge, can they serve food off that plate?

My intent is for the plate to be hung on the recipients' walls as year-round home decor, but I should let them know if they can or cannot serve food off these plates (just in case they want to try it).

THANKS! Been loving all the charger plate projects!!!

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Sherri Kay Online
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2011 7:29:59 PM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2396 time(s) in 2148 post(s)
The kiss cut the settings are usually 3-3-3, but with my AE2 I have to use 2-2-2 or it will cut through the backing. After cutting your image, you weed (take off all the unneeded vinyl) and then grab a piece of transfer tape. Peel the backing off that and put the sticky side down on your image (still on the mat). Use a credit card or something with a flat edge and rub all over the image so it sticks to the transfer tape. Gently peel up and the vinyl will be attached to the transfer tape. Take this to your charger and lay image down where you would like it. Rub with a credit card or something with a straight edge and then gently peel back the transfer tape. Your image will be stuck on the charger plate. It depends on what type of vinyl you use. If it is the outdoor kind, you can handwash it. I don't think I'd eat on it. But if you put vinyl on the outside of one of those clear plastic cups, you can drink from them. Just give it a try and soon you'll be addicted to it too! Have fun. BigGrin
amyscats Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2011 7:56:12 PM(UTC)
amyscats

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Thanks, SherriKay, that sounds pretty easy. Great advice and directions! Guess I thought that I'd need an adhesive or to Mod Podge over it so it would last forever. And I'll just let the recipients know NOT to eat off of it.

I'll be sure to post photos when they're done.
Cassie Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 5:41:03 AM(UTC)
Cassie

United States

Was thanked: 313 time(s) in 255 post(s)
I just finished 3 chargers yesterday and have 5 more to go. I'm addicted to vinyl.

The actual charger (I think on the ones I purchased from ACM) actually say, not intended for food use. I do what SherriKay instructed, exceptI pull the vinyl off my mat, then weed, followed by applying contact paper, to transfer my image from vinyl to charger.
jojoy Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 12:06:45 PM(UTC)
jojoy

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 12963 time(s) in 4056 post(s)
OK, I'm going to ask it here. Recently I have seen a few posts about "Charger Plates". What are they? Are they basically plates that you decorate to display?

Thanks!
scrapalette Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 1:50:57 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19029 time(s) in 8504 post(s)
Actually, charger plates go under your dinner plate. They first became popular with buffet dinners as the dinner plates were on the buffet table with the food and the dinner tables looked bare without plates. So charger plates were placed at each place setting with the silverware and napkin.

However, I've seen more decorated charger plates on display than I've ever seen at dinner tables! LOL
 1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
jojoy on 12/19/2011(UTC)