Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

jeanae edwards Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:34:39 AM(UTC)
jeanae edwards

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I read somewhere that the Cricut would handle intricate cuts better with a deep cut blade. Also, would it be JUST the blade to replace, or would you have to replace the housing with the deep cut one also? This would be just to cut cardstock, nothing thicker.
lylacfey Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:55:51 AM(UTC)
lylacfey

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 251 post(s)
That could have been me because I say that a lot over here. BigGrin Yes, the deep cut blade does cut better. No, you don't have to change the housing. Cricut machines are a Roland machine. You can use the Roland blades. I use Roland Carbide 60 degree blade. I buy mine off Ebay. I don't use a particular seller since I shop around for the cheapest. Help you save some money so you can buy more Cricut cartridges. I have two Roland machines I use these blades in. If you do a lot of vinyl the 30 degree blades work better than the standard Cricut 45 degree blades. The 30 degree blades are made for vinyl so they weed better. Using a different brand name blade won't void your Cricut warranty. I did check with PC on this and they were very gracious with their answer. HTH!
 1 user thanked lylacfey for this useful post.
cricutobsession on 12/21/2011(UTC)
jeanae edwards Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:39:34 AM(UTC)
jeanae edwards

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Thank you soooooo much! I am thrilled with this information!
okie_ladybug Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:05:09 AM(UTC)
okie_ladybug

Was thanked: 3347 time(s) in 1125 post(s)
I have heard of people using these. I myself tried some but I think the angle was not right. I was told they last a lot longer than the Cricut blades do though. Maybe I need to check into the 60 degree blades!
joyfullycrafting Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:22:00 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1444 time(s) in 1150 post(s)
So do you use the 60 degree blades for everyday cutting such as regular paper and cardstock? Or do you use the 45 degree Roland blades for everyday use and the 60 degree blades for heavier stuff? I wrote down this information, and will do some shopping!
Loves2Smock Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:30:43 AM(UTC)
Loves2Smock

United States

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lylacfey Go to Quoted Post
That could have been me because I say that a lot over here. BigGrin Yes, the deep cut blade does cut better. No, you don't have to change the housing. Cricut machines are a Roland machine. You can use the Roland blades. I use Roland Carbide 60 degree blade. I buy mine off Ebay. I don't use a particular seller since I shop around for the cheapest. Help you save some money so you can buy more Cricut cartridges. I have two Roland machines I use these blades in. If you do a lot of vinyl the 30 degree blades work better than the standard Cricut 45 degree blades. The 30 degree blades are made for vinyl so they weed better. Using a different brand name blade won't void your Cricut warranty. I did check with PC on this and they were very gracious with their answer. HTH!

WAIT!!!! The roland 60 degree blade is NOT THE SAME as what cricut calls the deep cut blade!!! A roland 60 degree blade is the way to go for intricate cuts, and any and all vinyl work. The standard Cricut packaged blade is a Roland 45 degree blade. The Deep cut blade is longer and thicker (the blade itself, not the shaft) and still a 45 degree blade. It is ment for heavy duty cutting. You can use it in your regular housing, butit will cause create greater drag. If you want replacement blades for intricate (and every day) work, get a Roland 60 degree. I find them on ebay for really cheap, and usually but 10 at a time.
Roland 60 on the Left, Cricut deep cut on the right.
 1 user thanked Loves2Smock for this useful post.
Leanner on 12/22/2011(UTC)
Loves2Smock Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:42:02 AM(UTC)
Loves2Smock

United States

Originally Posted by: joyfullycrafting Go to Quoted Post
So do you use the 60 degree blades for everyday cutting such as regular paper and cardstock? Or do you use the 45 degree Roland blades for everyday use and the 60 degree blades for heavier stuff? I wrote down this information, and will do some shopping!

I use the roland 60 for everything from velum and vinyl to chipboard, and have for many many years. You will not find a better every day blade. in the vinyl world, the 60s are for cutting thicker vinyls, the 45s are for average, and the 30s are for very thin materials that may tear while cutting. Since we are cutting paper, which is thicker and denser than vinyl, it makes sense to go with the 60 degree blade.
 2 users thanked Loves2Smock for this useful post.
Leanner on 12/22/2011(UTC), GrammySue on 12/24/2011(UTC)
KaraGolby Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:03:54 AM(UTC)
KaraGolby

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 9 post(s)
This is such a timely thread b/c I'm having issues w/ intricate cuts from the Noah ABC's cartridge & I was researching blades this morning. Just to make sure I get this correct if I order the Roland 60 degree blade this will be better than the Cricut deep cut blade? Will the Roland 60 degree blade fit in the regular housing that came with my E1? I've never replaced a blade, is it pretty simple to do?

Also, has anyone heard if the E2 or new Mini cuts better than E1? Are the cuts comparable to the Silhouette/Cameo? Will a Roland 60 degree blade give me similar cuts like a Silhouette/Cameo? If this is true, this could be huge for Cricut users.

Thanks!
debiengle Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:43:11 AM(UTC)
debiengle

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Thanks for the info....

I went to ebay and there is a WIDE range in prices???....just wondering why that would be....I mean from $54 for 5 to $4. for 5???.....I don't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong thing, I've been doing alot of vinyl and also have trouble with intricate cuts from trim the tree and a couple other cartridges..

thanks again!
lylacfey Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:14:16 AM(UTC)
lylacfey

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 251 post(s)
Originally Posted by: okieladybug Go to Quoted Post
I have heard of people using these. I myself tried some but I think the angle was not right. I was told they last a lot longer than the Cricut blades do though. Maybe I need to check into the 60 degree blades!

Okie the Steel Carbide blades do last longer than the regular Cricut blades. ProvoCraft's blade supplier sends PC the standard Roland Blades and not the Carbide ones. I am pretty sure PC is trying to keep the costs down on PC's consumables plus it gets us to buy more of them, ROFL!

Originally Posted by: joyfullycrafting Go to Quoted Post

Yes, I use my 60 degree steel Carbide blades for everything cutting from paper to balsa wood. I never had any problems. I cut Vinyl the other day and it cut like butter. I had fiddly cuts too. No worries cutting cardstock with 60 degree blades. They work like a charm.

Originally Posted by: KaraGolby Go to Quoted Post
This is such a timely thread b/c I'm having issues w/ intricate cuts from the Noah ABC's cartridge & I was researching blades this morning. Just to make sure I get this correct if I order the Roland 60 degree blade this will be better than the Cricut deep cut blade? Will the Roland 60 degree blade fit in the regular housing that came with my E1? I've never replaced a blade, is it pretty simple to do?

Also, has anyone heard if the E2 or new Mini cuts better than E1? Are the cuts comparable to the Silhouette/Cameo? Will a Roland 60 degree blade give me similar cuts like a Silhouette/Cameo? If this is true, this could be huge for Cricut users.

Thanks!

Yes, the blades fit in the regular Cricut housing. It's the same blade design. Again no worries. Changing the blade is easy. Press the plunger, take out old blade out, drop new blade in.

I do not have an E2 or mini. I do know for a fact that the E2 does cut better than the E1. PC changed the mathematical formulations in the Motherboard to provide better detailed cutting. That was a big problem in the E1 were the mathematical formulations. All die cutters are programmed with these formulations. I have another die cutter I am about ready to change the MotherBoard so I can get new cutting features. Honestly, it is really hard to give cutters firmware updates to improve cutting so the companies have to change the Motherboard to add features. That's why I get so frustrated with PC and other companies with their firmware updates. It's one thing to release an update with a bug fix. It's a whole new ballgame to update the whole MotherBoard program because essentially the easy way to explain it your giving your electronic equipment a lobotomy and then reprogramming it. I don't like to lobotomize my equipment. I fix a lot of lobotomize equipment too. Boy, I am on a rant, lol. Yes, the E2 does cut better. I have seen test results & I was impressed.

To your last question No, the Cricut will not give you better results like the Silhouette Cameo. This is why. The Cricut is a Roland machine. Roland machines are excellent cutters, don't get me wrong. They were made for heavy duty work and not detailed cutting.

Graphtec machines (Silhouette) were made for detailed cutting. Both Graphtec & Roland have been on the market for years so they have their niches in this industry. This is why Graphtec can not handle heavier materials so it can compensate for the detailed cutting. That is why so many die cutting aficionado's have both machines.

In the past couple of years Roland has rolled out machine upgrades for better detailed cutting so it can keep up with a new market (the influx of paper crafters).

Also another important thing about accuracy on the cutters. The software plays a big role too. Sucky software, sucky cutting. Excellent software, excellent cutting.

I know this was long but I hope it helps. There is so much to weed through now on die cutters it's so confusing. I was lucky enough to start early and to be fascinated by this since I was a teenager who first saw a machine in action during the late 1980's.

Edited by user Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:18:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3 users thanked lylacfey for this useful post.
MarieM on 12/22/2011(UTC), PamM on 12/22/2011(UTC), Loves2Smock on 12/22/2011(UTC)
Loves2Smock Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:35:43 PM(UTC)
Loves2Smock

United States

Originally Posted by: debiengle Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the info....

I went to ebay and there is a WIDE range in prices???....just wondering why that would be....I mean from $54 for 5 to $4. for 5???.....I don't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong thing, I've been doing alot of vinyl and also have trouble with intricate cuts from trim the tree and a couple other cartridges..

thanks again!

The only difference is what is coming from the US, and what is coming from China. I order them from china (where they are made anyway) allllllllll the time. Go cheap.
The Nan Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 7:55:10 AM(UTC)
The Nan

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I just found this listing on eBay for a set of 30 blades!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...0bc79b77e#ht_2863wt_689

Loos like a great deal to me!
joyfullycrafting Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 8:12:19 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1444 time(s) in 1150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Loves2Smock Go to Quoted Post
The only difference is what is coming from the US, and what is coming from China. I order them from china (where they are made anyway) allllllllll the time. Go cheap.

Thank you for this info!!! I tend to shy away from ordering from China most of the time. Makes me nervous! And the shipping takes weeks.
~LN Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 25, 2011 6:05:46 PM(UTC)
~LN

United States

Was thanked: 860 time(s) in 723 post(s)
Ok.........Just to be clear so the Roland 60 is for everyday cutting ..cardstock right?
And if we use it for vinyl and paper then we need to ease off the pressure?

Thx guysBigGrin

Edited by user Sunday, December 25, 2011 7:56:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LindainWA Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, December 25, 2011 8:52:54 PM(UTC)
LindainWA

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 941 time(s) in 551 post(s)
Thanks for this great info. I just ordered 5 blades for $8.50 free ship. Since they come from China it will take a while but I can be patient.

Linda