Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Buggin_Out Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 7:28:19 AM(UTC)
Buggin_Out

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 385 time(s) in 250 post(s)
I have two charging questions:

1) when you plug your G into the wall charger, does the silver part of the plug go all the way into the G or does part of the silver part not go in? When I plug mine in I gently push it until it stops, and the the silver does not go all in. Normal?

2) Does your G charge through the USB cable when connected to the computer? Does the G need to be turned on or off?

TIA. BigGrin
bird Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 11:58:47 AM(UTC)
bird

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 119 post(s)
NO the silver thing does not go all the way in and as far as i know it will not charge through the usb but i could be wrong .
Buggin_Out Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 4:29:02 PM(UTC)
Buggin_Out

Thanks! Makes me feel much better Smile
Doxieluv01 Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 4:56:57 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Was thanked: 2263 time(s) in 1789 post(s)
nope the G doesn't charge with the USB cable. you can only charge by using the wall outlet.
Buggin_Out Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:12:06 PM(UTC)
Buggin_Out

oh well Confused Good to know - thanks!
Scrappy Tinman Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 2:16:43 PM(UTC)
Scrappy Tinman

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Thanks for asking these questions. I lost my wall charge and have been using my car charge and really wanted the USB port to work. Oh well
GloriaContreras3 Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 2:48:58 PM(UTC)
GloriaContreras3

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I have used my USB cable, and while it is connected it does charge my Gypsy. That is the only way I have been charging it since I got it on HSN launch almost 1 year ago.
Buggin_Out Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:04:01 PM(UTC)
Buggin_Out

GloriaContreras3 wrote:
I have used my USB cable, and while it is connected it does charge my Gypsy. That is the only way I have been charging it since I got it on HSN launch almost 1 year ago.

Does it seem to matter if you have the G turned on or off while charging this way?

I can't seem to get it to work, but my ipod charges thorough the usb ports, so I think my usb settings are OK.

Any other suggestions you can think of? Confused
GloriaContreras3 Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 4:12:02 PM(UTC)
GloriaContreras3

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I have always charged mine turned on. I havent charged it turned off, but I will charge it later tonight and will post back.
Buggin_Out Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 2:59:09 PM(UTC)
Buggin_Out

I believe yours works. Mine, though, if turned on while hooked to the computer, shows the charging symbol over the battery but does not charge. I've even left it this way over night and when I unplug the G the battery is lower than when I first plugged it in. RollEyes
Almost Trudy Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 8:37:38 PM(UTC)
Almost Trudy

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 41 post(s)
I charge mine turned off.
Buggin_Out Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:25:39 PM(UTC)
Buggin_Out

This sounds silly to type out, but I haven't actually tried that. Glad to know that's what works for you. I will give it try. Thanks! BigGrin BigGrin
ChristineTaylor Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 11:42:41 AM(UTC)
ChristineTaylor

I just bought my Gypsy yesterday. I thought the same thing about the plug in the Gypsy thing. :)

So you are saying that I don't have to turn it on when charging? The directions make it sound like you have to. Also, how long does it take to charge? Where do I see on my Gypsy how much charge I have left?

Almost Trudy Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 12:41:25 PM(UTC)
Almost Trudy

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 41 post(s)
ChristineTaylor wrote:
I just bought my Gypsy yesterday. I thought the same thing about the plug in the Gypsy thing. :)

So you are saying that I don't have to turn it on when charging? The directions make it sound like you have to. Also, how long does it take to charge? Where do I see on my Gypsy how much charge I have left?

It charges faster when it's off. The directions usually tell you how to update the Gyspy once you take it out of the box. Mine did not have a charge straight out of the box like I've seen in some people's videos so I had to charge mine while doing all the updates to get it up and running. Perhaps that's why it seemed that the directions make it sound that way. You can't even turn it on unless it's plugged in first (that's if you aren't one of the fortunate bunch who could just turn it on and play).

To see how much battery power you have left, just press the round silver button on the right of the device. The indicator is at the very top of the screen.

Hope that helps.
Mercy Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 12:48:16 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Was thanked: 2082 time(s) in 1202 post(s)
buggin_out wrote:
I have two charging questions:

1) when you plug your G into the wall charger, does the silver part of the plug go all the way into the G or does part of the silver part not go in? When I plug mine in I gently push it until it stops, and the the silver does not go all in. Normal?

2) Does your G charge through the USB cable when connected to the computer? Does the G need to be turned on or off?

TIA. BigGrin

The answer to your second question is yes and no. If the g's battery is fully drained, then no, the computer does not charge the battery. However, if the g's battery is fully charged, then yes, the computer will maintain the charge. After the initial charge, it does not matter if the g is on or off. However, if the g is used while charging, then it will take longer for the g to charge.

The Battery University recommends charging the battery when the battery has about 40 percent of charge left on the battery. When doing so, I do not have any issues. However, when I do not do so, I run into small issues.
 1 user thanked Mercy for this useful post.
Almost Trudy on 10/15/2010(UTC)
Mercy Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 12:49:56 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Scrappy Tinman wrote:
Thanks for asking these questions. I lost my wall charge and have been using my car charge and really wanted the USB port to work. Oh well

You can purchase another charger at Amazon, Walmart or online for under 20.00 I have several that I keep by several of my computers as well as in my HSN bag.
Mercy Offline
#17 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 1:01:52 PM(UTC)
Mercy

ChristineTaylor wrote:

In addition to what Trudy stated, before your initial use, it is best that you leave the g turned off until the g has fully charged which can take about 4 to 5 hours or longer. After the initial charge, it does not matter if the g is on or off but it will take longer for the g to charge.

To determine if the battery has fully charged, while the g is on and on a screen other than the welcome screen, press the menu button (round silver button) as a fully charged battery while connected to the electrical outlet will not have an electrical plug on top of the battery indicator. While it is charging, it will have an electrical plug on top of the battery indicator. If the g is unplugged from the electrical outlet, the battery indicator will show a full battery if it is fully charged and the degree of charge will also be indicated by less pink and more white on the battery indicator.