Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

hljeffries Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:02:10 AM(UTC)
hljeffries

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello,

I was recently given a Cricut Cake as a gift. I love it and it's wonderful. I did buy some regular Cricut mats and a deep cut blade and housing so I've been using it for both fondant and papers. I do glass engraving and have been using a kiss cut with contact paper for most wording.

I was wondering, since I do have the Cricut connected to my computer, is it possible to print other images to it instead of just from the cartridges? To me this is what would make the Cricut so invaluable in what I do. Quite often I'm working with someone's logo so obviously I can't just pick fonts or images from the cartridges. I normally free hand with my engraver tool on the glass, but the ability to get the lettering perfect as the Cricut offers is one of the reasons I was so excited to use it.

Is there any way or software that can be purchased that will allow my Cricut to print what I want directly from my computer as a standard printer would?

I do have thin ml stencil film for engraving, so I can do that, but a stencil from the Cricut would be much more precise and faster using sandblasting for the wording.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Heather
scrapalette Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:23:31 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19029 time(s) in 8504 post(s)
No, you can't import images to the Cricut. It's a cart based system, so all images sent to the Cricut to cut need to come from Cricut carts.

Depending on the logos you want to cut, you can use one of the Cricut design programs to manipulate, weld, stretch and modify the existing images into other designs. Cricut Craft Room is a free online design program. You can click on Craft Room at the top of the forum and go to the info and download page.

There are other cutters that use software where you can import images.
hljeffries Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:31:10 AM(UTC)
hljeffries

United States

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your time.

I downloaded the Cricut Craft Room when I set up the system. I was hoping that being connected to the computer and the Craft Room that it would allow me the freedom of cutting what I wanted as opposed to just the cart. I've done several projects using the Craft Room, but when I wasn't able to find the ability to freely choose an image, I thought I would ask. Oh well. :(

Thanks again. :)
unregistered Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:51:55 AM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
If you happen to see examples online of people cutting their own designs using the Cricut, it is because you used to be able to cut whatever you wanted with the Cricut. Unfortunately, Provo Craft sued the makers of the 3rd party software that allowed this to work.

You can't purchase the software to make it work anymore - but if you happen to need to purchase a different machine - many other brands of cutters to allow you to use your own artwork and fonts. Love that!
hljeffries Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:20:40 AM(UTC)
hljeffries

United States

Yeah, sadly I saw that. I was searching for 3rd party software and found a link to the company you're referring to. I was so excited when I clicked on the link, but disappointed when a tag next to "Cricut Provo," stated it was no longer compatible and the entire explanation of what happened.

It's utterly ridiculous. If Provo is not going to make it so you can cut what you want - why not partner with someone's software who makes it a possibility instead of suing them.

I can see where it's a wonderful tool for someone who doesn't want to have to use it in conjunction with their computer, but I find this aspect disappointing. Oh well - it was a gift so what I didn't spent on a Cricut, I guess I'll invest in a Black Cat to do the job I'm looking for and I'll keep the Cricut in the kitchen for the fondant. :)

Thanks again for your time! :)
scrapalette Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:30:51 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19029 time(s) in 8504 post(s)
But, it really isn't ridiculous. It's business. When Provo Craft created the Cricut cart based cutter, there were many cutters on the market that used software for file design and cutting. PC specifically designed the Cricut to be cart based. Since the Cricut hit the market, other cutters and software programs have also come on the market. Each crafter needs to buy the cutter that meets their crafting needs. Many crafters are very happy being able to plug in a cart and create.

And many crafters have more than one cutter to suit their crafting needs. It's a lot like other appliances in life. You have an oven for what it can do and a microwave for it's features. You may have a hand held mixer as well as a stand mixer as well as a blender and/or food processor. All have different features and serve a purpose. Your craft tools are the same.

You are fortunate that your Cricut was a gift. Many people will buy a cutter without doing any research and then are not happy with their purchase. I know I was one of those people when I purchased a Wishblade back in 2006.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:48:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
Narelle on 3/27/2012(UTC), swatts66 on 3/27/2012(UTC)
swatts66 Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:50:08 PM(UTC)
swatts66

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 1052 time(s) in 576 post(s)
It does sound like the OP needs another type of machine. I LOVE the Cricut. I don't consider myself to be very artistic so I like the cart based systems. And I have never synced or used CCR. Once day I will, but my E2 cuts so beautifully and I love working with it.
MaryStillman Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:37:42 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1245 time(s) in 789 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
But, it really isn't ridiculous. It's business. When Provo Craft created the Cricut cart based cutter, there were many cutters on the market that used software for file design and cutting. PC specifically designed the Cricut to be cart based. Since the Cricut hit the market, other cutters and software programs have also come on the market. Each crafter needs to buy the cutter that meets their crafting needs. Many crafters are very happy being able to plug in a cart and create.

And many crafters have more than one cutter to suit their crafting needs. It's a lot like other appliances in life. You have an oven for what it can do and a microwave for it's features. You may have a hand held mixer as well as a stand mixer as well as a blender and/or food processor. All have different features and serve a purpose. Your craft tools are the same.

You are fortunate that your Cricut was a gift. Many people will buy a cutter without doing any research and then are not happy with their purchase. I know I was one of those people when I purchased a Wishblade back in 2006.

You are right Scrapallet, it is business and PC has every right to not partner with 3rd party software. I just think that it is short sighted. From using your wishblade (I have one and really like it), you probably remember how cumbersome it is to design svgs to cut. I think PC would not loss any customers from partnering with 3rd party software. In fact, if they made it a cartridge based software (have to purchase a special cartridge to use the software), the probably would make thousands from customers just wanting the ability to try. I can see how it could be a concern though for someone to use the snipping tool and grap an image off a cart not owned and bring it into the new software to cut. Carefull planning of the software woudl need to be done to disallow that from happening.....Oh my wishful thinking about getting 3rd party software with the Cricut.

I do have 3rd party software and have created many svgs from it. Again, this is a very cumbersome task. I've found myself going more and more just to the cartridges and actually purchasing the "carts" for my other cutter, ecrafter as that is easier than designing my own. The wishblade does not hold a memory device, so it's either purchasing svgs or doing my own. Probably why I use the Cricut and ecrafter more than the wishblade.

Just my two cents.

You take a lot of heat for PC Scrapallet. Just want you to know that I may disagree with you, but I truly appreciate how much you help everyone, and how you have maintained a very positive attitude and are honest in your replys to people questioning 3rd party software.

Mary
 1 user thanked MaryStillman for this useful post.
scrapalette on 3/30/2012(UTC)
unregistered Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 6:20:32 AM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
I have found creating and using svg files is so much easier than using the carts - but, I think it is what you get used to. I like how I can lay out my cuts on the mat and it comes out exactly right everytime - and it always works. My comfort zone isn't with the carts - but WOW, I am impressed with some of the creations people make with them! I am also amazed at how they can create something else completely different using CCR - like the Hello Kitty from the shapes. That takes some imagination!!

I wish PC could at least allow their cutters to cut all true type fonts - that would be awesome! There are SO many cool fonts out there. I think that would be a real compliment to all the cart's people have.

MaryStillman Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 4:14:23 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1245 time(s) in 789 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IowaGirl2011 Go to Quoted Post
I have found creating and using svg files is so much easier than using the carts - but, I think it is what you get used to. I like how I can lay out my cuts on the mat and it comes out exactly right everytime - and it always works. My comfort zone isn't with the carts - but WOW, I am impressed with some of the creations people make with them! I am also amazed at how they can create something else completely different using CCR - like the Hello Kitty from the shapes. That takes some imagination!!

I wish PC could at least allow their cutters to cut all true type fonts - that would be awesome! There are SO many cool fonts out there. I think that would be a real compliment to all the cart's people have.

IowaGirl... gotta love Inkscape for creating svgs from clipart. That was a mystery to me until I found a YouTube video on how it is done. Then, piece of cake. Made many Hello Kitty svgs from clipart (and also cut files from George and Basic Shapes) and Dora the Exlorer. However, I am artistically challenged when it comes to actually designing an svg. You are very fortunate to be talented in that area.

I also am amazed by what people have created working within the rules of the carts.

Also agree with you on the fonts and being able to cut with Cricut. That would be awesome.

Mary