Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

hljeffries Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:02:10 AM(UTC)
hljeffries

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/15/2012(UTC)
Posts: 3
United States

Hello,

I was recently given a Cricut Cake as a gift. I love it and it's wonderful. I did buy some regular Cricut mats and a deep cut blade and housing so I've been using it for both fondant and papers. I do glass engraving and have been using a kiss cut with contact paper for most wording.

I was wondering, since I do have the Cricut connected to my computer, is it possible to print other images to it instead of just from the cartridges? To me this is what would make the Cricut so invaluable in what I do. Quite often I'm working with someone's logo so obviously I can't just pick fonts or images from the cartridges. I normally free hand with my engraver tool on the glass, but the ability to get the lettering perfect as the Cricut offers is one of the reasons I was so excited to use it.

Is there any way or software that can be purchased that will allow my Cricut to print what I want directly from my computer as a standard printer would?

I do have thin ml stencil film for engraving, so I can do that, but a stencil from the Cricut would be much more precise and faster using sandblasting for the wording.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Heather
scrapalette Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:23:31 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Joined: 7/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 23,849
United States
Location: FB: Cricut Lovers Guide to Design Space

Thanks: 8587 times
Was thanked: 19152 time(s) in 8566 post(s)
No, you can't import images to the Cricut. It's a cart based system, so all images sent to the Cricut to cut need to come from Cricut carts.

Depending on the logos you want to cut, you can use one of the Cricut design programs to manipulate, weld, stretch and modify the existing images into other designs. Cricut Craft Room is a free online design program. You can click on Craft Room at the top of the forum and go to the info and download page.

There are other cutters that use software where you can import images.
hljeffries Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:31:10 AM(UTC)
hljeffries

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/15/2012(UTC)
Posts: 3
United States

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your time.

I downloaded the Cricut Craft Room when I set up the system. I was hoping that being connected to the computer and the Craft Room that it would allow me the freedom of cutting what I wanted as opposed to just the cart. I've done several projects using the Craft Room, but when I wasn't able to find the ability to freely choose an image, I thought I would ask. Oh well. :(

Thanks again. :)
unregistered Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:51:55 AM(UTC)
unregistered

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/1/2010(UTC)
Posts: 513

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
If you happen to see examples online of people cutting their own designs using the Cricut, it is because you used to be able to cut whatever you wanted with the Cricut. Unfortunately, Provo Craft sued the makers of the 3rd party software that allowed this to work.

You can't purchase the software to make it work anymore - but if you happen to need to purchase a different machine - many other brands of cutters to allow you to use your own artwork and fonts. Love that!
hljeffries Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:20:40 AM(UTC)
hljeffries

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/15/2012(UTC)
Posts: 3
United States

Yeah, sadly I saw that. I was searching for 3rd party software and found a link to the company you're referring to. I was so excited when I clicked on the link, but disappointed when a tag next to "Cricut Provo," stated it was no longer compatible and the entire explanation of what happened.

It's utterly ridiculous. If Provo is not going to make it so you can cut what you want - why not partner with someone's software who makes it a possibility instead of suing them.

I can see where it's a wonderful tool for someone who doesn't want to have to use it in conjunction with their computer, but I find this aspect disappointing. Oh well - it was a gift so what I didn't spent on a Cricut, I guess I'll invest in a Black Cat to do the job I'm looking for and I'll keep the Cricut in the kitchen for the fondant. :)

Thanks again for your time! :)
scrapalette Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:30:51 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Joined: 7/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 23,849
United States
Location: FB: Cricut Lovers Guide to Design Space

Thanks: 8587 times
Was thanked: 19152 time(s) in 8566 post(s)
But, it really isn't ridiculous. It's business. When Provo Craft created the Cricut cart based cutter, there were many cutters on the market that used software for file design and cutting. PC specifically designed the Cricut to be cart based. Since the Cricut hit the market, other cutters and software programs have also come on the market. Each crafter needs to buy the cutter that meets their crafting needs. Many crafters are very happy being able to plug in a cart and create.

And many crafters have more than one cutter to suit their crafting needs. It's a lot like other appliances in life. You have an oven for what it can do and a microwave for it's features. You may have a hand held mixer as well as a stand mixer as well as a blender and/or food processor. All have different features and serve a purpose. Your craft tools are the same.

You are fortunate that your Cricut was a gift. Many people will buy a cutter without doing any research and then are not happy with their purchase. I know I was one of those people when I purchased a Wishblade back in 2006.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:48:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

 2 users thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
Narelle on 3/27/2012(UTC), swatts66 on 3/27/2012(UTC)
swatts66 Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:50:08 PM(UTC)
swatts66

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Joined: 12/2/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,184
United States
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast

Thanks: 408 times
Was thanked: 1059 time(s) in 579 post(s)
It does sound like the OP needs another type of machine. I LOVE the Cricut. I don't consider myself to be very artistic so I like the cart based systems. And I have never synced or used CCR. Once day I will, but my E2 cuts so beautifully and I love working with it.
MaryStillman Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:37:42 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/30/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,093

Thanks: 1189 times
Was thanked: 1255 time(s) in 797 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
But, it really isn't ridiculous. It's business. When Provo Craft created the Cricut cart based cutter, there were many cutters on the market that used software for file design and cutting. PC specifically designed the Cricut to be cart based. Since the Cricut hit the market, other cutters and software programs have also come on the market. Each crafter needs to buy the cutter that meets their crafting needs. Many crafters are very happy being able to plug in a cart and create.

And many crafters have more than one cutter to suit their crafting needs. It's a lot like other appliances in life. You have an oven for what it can do and a microwave for it's features. You may have a hand held mixer as well as a stand mixer as well as a blender and/or food processor. All have different features and serve a purpose. Your craft tools are the same.

You are fortunate that your Cricut was a gift. Many people will buy a cutter without doing any research and then are not happy with their purchase. I know I was one of those people when I purchased a Wishblade back in 2006.


You are right Scrapallet, it is business and PC has every right to not partner with 3rd party software. I just think that it is short sighted. From using your wishblade (I have one and really like it), you probably remember how cumbersome it is to design svgs to cut. I think PC would not loss any customers from partnering with 3rd party software. In fact, if they made it a cartridge based software (have to purchase a special cartridge to use the software), the probably would make thousands from customers just wanting the ability to try. I can see how it could be a concern though for someone to use the snipping tool and grap an image off a cart not owned and bring it into the new software to cut. Carefull planning of the software woudl need to be done to disallow that from happening.....Oh my wishful thinking about getting 3rd party software with the Cricut.

I do have 3rd party software and have created many svgs from it. Again, this is a very cumbersome task. I've found myself going more and more just to the cartridges and actually purchasing the "carts" for my other cutter, ecrafter as that is easier than designing my own. The wishblade does not hold a memory device, so it's either purchasing svgs or doing my own. Probably why I use the Cricut and ecrafter more than the wishblade.

Just my two cents.

You take a lot of heat for PC Scrapallet. Just want you to know that I may disagree with you, but I truly appreciate how much you help everyone, and how you have maintained a very positive attitude and are honest in your replys to people questioning 3rd party software.

Mary
 1 user thanked MaryStillman for this useful post.
scrapalette on 3/30/2012(UTC)
unregistered Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 6:20:32 AM(UTC)
unregistered

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/1/2010(UTC)
Posts: 513

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
I have found creating and using svg files is so much easier than using the carts - but, I think it is what you get used to. I like how I can lay out my cuts on the mat and it comes out exactly right everytime - and it always works. My comfort zone isn't with the carts - but WOW, I am impressed with some of the creations people make with them! I am also amazed at how they can create something else completely different using CCR - like the Hello Kitty from the shapes. That takes some imagination!!

I wish PC could at least allow their cutters to cut all true type fonts - that would be awesome! There are SO many cool fonts out there. I think that would be a real compliment to all the cart's people have.

MaryStillman Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 4:14:23 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/30/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,093

Thanks: 1189 times
Was thanked: 1255 time(s) in 797 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IowaGirl2011 Go to Quoted Post
I have found creating and using svg files is so much easier than using the carts - but, I think it is what you get used to. I like how I can lay out my cuts on the mat and it comes out exactly right everytime - and it always works. My comfort zone isn't with the carts - but WOW, I am impressed with some of the creations people make with them! I am also amazed at how they can create something else completely different using CCR - like the Hello Kitty from the shapes. That takes some imagination!!

I wish PC could at least allow their cutters to cut all true type fonts - that would be awesome! There are SO many cool fonts out there. I think that would be a real compliment to all the cart's people have.


IowaGirl... gotta love Inkscape for creating svgs from clipart. That was a mystery to me until I found a YouTube video on how it is done. Then, piece of cake. Made many Hello Kitty svgs from clipart (and also cut files from George and Basic Shapes) and Dora the Exlorer. However, I am artistically challenged when it comes to actually designing an svg. You are very fortunate to be talented in that area.

I also am amazed by what people have created working within the rules of the carts.

Also agree with you on the fonts and being able to cut with Cricut. That would be awesome.

Mary
wednesdaytgw Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 10:42:34 PM(UTC)
wednesdaytgw

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/17/2014(UTC)
Posts: 1

I can see why they would want to control it all.... and their business, their choice. But I'm just learning with a borrowed Cricut (admit, never heard of them) and have been searching through the designs offered for the snowflake I sketched (shrink plastic) but did not want to invest the time cutting and not interested in expensive one size dies (and all else needed) for the project.
If I could just use my sketch.....
I can see the software needed to take a hand drawn design and cut it might complicate things, or risk use in copy write issues.... but for the free hand artist.... not being able to do that if it could be done, seems to limit the use of the tool so much it is "ridiculous", when you consider the incredible potential.

There is one snowflake that is close to my idea... but if I could use my designs.... it'd be out buying one of these right now and forget groceries for a few weeks....
AuntieKLE Offline
#12 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 11:19:10 PM(UTC)
AuntieKLE

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/30/2008(UTC)
Posts: 554

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Originally Posted by: wednesdaytgwf9f5e949 Go to Quoted Post
I can see why they would want to control it all.... and their business, their choice. But I'm just learning with a borrowed Cricut (admit, never heard of them) and have been searching through the designs offered for the snowflake I sketched (shrink plastic) but did not want to invest the time cutting and not interested in expensive one size dies (and all else needed) for the project.
If I could just use my sketch.....
I can see the software needed to take a hand drawn design and cut it might complicate things, or risk use in copy write issues.... but for the free hand artist.... not being able to do that if it could be done, seems to limit the use of the tool so much it is "ridiculous", when you consider the incredible potential.

There is one snowflake that is close to my idea... but if I could use my designs.... it'd be out buying one of these right now and forget groceries for a few weeks....


This year 2014, PC came out with a new machine the Cricut Explore.
It cuts from cartridges linked to your Cricut.com Account. Or you can buy the subscription that will let you have access to almost all the cartridges (except licensed Disney etc.) through the Cricut Design Space Software. The subscription is $9.99 a month or $99.99 a year. The subscription is great for those that don't have many cartridges. You don't need the subscription unless you want to use Cricut Cartridges and images.

You can also cut SVG's. And the new feature print then cut. Which sounds like what you would like to do. You can also write with the Explore with fonts downloaded to your computer.

Check it out! You may want to get this one.
http://us.cricut.com/home/learn/machines/explore

HTH

Edited by user Monday, November 17, 2014 11:21:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.752 seconds.
nebo-cricut-02