Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

frosty Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 7:59:11 AM(UTC)
frosty

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 60 post(s)
What are some of the ways that you make money with your Cricut? Also how much do you charge for your items? Is there a basic formula that you use to come up with a price? Thanks
craftymac Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 4:52:01 PM(UTC)
craftymac

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I'd like some ideas too - our church sets up a table for the Homecoming in August and anything I make I would donate to the church but need some ideas. I haven't used my cricut to make anything for sale, but do make plastic canvas cross-bookmarkers that sold like hotcakes. I even ended up making an additional nearly 50 for the pastors mother to give as gifts (they fit nicely in a birthday card). I was thinking of making boxed sets of greeting cards with my cricut - but nothing else has come to mind.....

thanks !

Mac
 1 user thanked craftymac for this useful post.
Annabella on 4/18/2012(UTC)
Larmabee Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 4:56:52 PM(UTC)
Larmabee

Canada

Was thanked: 371 time(s) in 290 post(s)
I make signs for my dh's store, as well as window clings. You can also make wall hangings, decorated chargers, cupcake wrappers and toppers. You need to figure out the cost of your materials, how much your time is worth and a bit estra to help cover incidental costs, a new cart, machine break down, new mat, etc.
Maxluv Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 5:05:34 PM(UTC)
Maxluv

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 483 time(s) in 370 post(s)
I make all types of things..mostly 3d items, like boxes, shoes, baskets, purse, etc. I do flower arrangements using paper, cut the flowers, put them on sticks and put in flower pots, so many things you can make. I don't scrapbook and i don't really do cards, those items take time and when selling unless you have a good market people don't want to pay what it really cost to make those items. As for how much to charge, that would be up to the individual, the area that you live and who you are selling too. I do candy wrapping, while i may be able to get $1.25 a bar in my area, someone else can sell there's for $2.00 and we may use the same label. Also depends on how much it cost you for your material, most of the items that i have well 95% of what i have I got onsale and some papers i got for dirt cheap like a $1 for a stack of paper, and then i'm not out to get rich quick with this either,lol..
pinkEscrapper Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 5:12:24 PM(UTC)
pinkEscrapper

United States

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 81 post(s)
@ Maxluv: Do you sell those items you have on your blog? They are just darling!! I just went and visited and now I'm a follower!! LOL!
Soshescraps Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 7:29:51 PM(UTC)
Soshescraps

United States

Was thanked: 1108 time(s) in 878 post(s)
I know people who make money decorating those double walled tumblers with vinyl and license plate holders. I think she charges $12 for the tumblers but they are totally super cute!!! She decorates them using patterned vinyl with the cutest sayings and themes. If I were charging for personalized items I definitely would factor in the cost of materials, plus then decide how long it takes to make the product and decide if you are going to work for minimum wage per hour or more.

JMO
 1 user thanked Soshescraps for this useful post.
Annabella on 4/18/2012(UTC)
Cassie Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 6:44:59 AM(UTC)
Cassie

United States

Was thanked: 313 time(s) in 255 post(s)
I just finished a party this weekend with DIY items. See 80s/90s party on my blog.

I use my cricut all the time to make $$. You have to factor in the cost of your materials, including a few extras for incidentals. My costs (for product) depends on the qty and level of detail. On top of that, I add a fee for my time, which also varies by project. Here are some things I've done:

Acrylic Tumblers: $10 - $12
Water Bottles: $8 - $10
Wedding invitations: varies
Party Favors: varies
Maxluv Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 7:04:27 AM(UTC)
Maxluv

United States

Originally Posted by: pinkEscrapper Go to Quoted Post
@ Maxluv: Do you sell those items you have on your blog? They are just darling!! I just went and visited and now I'm a follower!! LOL!

Aww thanks for being my newest follower..yes I sell quite a few of those items, most times i'll make them just because and then end up getting orders.
frosty Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:23:54 AM(UTC)
frosty

Thanks everyone for your ideas. Maxluv love your site. Cassie where do you purchase Acrylic Tumblers & Water Bottles that you sale? OK, now I'm off to your site

jscraftylady Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:24:24 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2333 time(s) in 1252 post(s)
Around here you can't make any money off paper items because folks aren't willing to pay even the cost of materials, but you can make some dough off of vinyl creations, monogramed items like the plastic tumblers and handbags and totes decorated with applique.
Cassie Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:21:13 AM(UTC)
Cassie

United States

Was thanked: 313 time(s) in 255 post(s)
I purchased the acrylic tumblers from www.silkletter.com. Other sites you can use are saveacup.comdiscountmugs.com

The water bottles I purchased from Dollar Tree. More sturdier ones, I picked up at Big Lots. Silkletter also sells them.

Originally Posted by: frosty Go to Quoted Post
Cassie where do you purchase Acrylic Tumblers & Water Bottles that you sale? OK, now I'm off to your site

1 user thanked Cassie for this useful post.
melodylanedesigns on 4/18/2012(UTC)
frosty Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:51:26 PM(UTC)
frosty

Thanks, Cassie :)
SherrieStevens Offline
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:53:40 PM(UTC)
SherrieStevens

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 144 post(s)
Maxluv I just became a follower also Love the boxes u did. THanks SherrieStevens
letypedroza Offline
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:37:11 PM(UTC)
letypedroza

Was thanked: 204 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Wow great stuff. Maxluv please share the holding cross prayer and meaning to us. It looks so inspiring. TIA
Maxluv Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:51:05 AM(UTC)
Maxluv

United States

Originally Posted by: letypedroza Go to Quoted Post
Wow great stuff. Maxluv please share the holding cross prayer and meaning to us. It looks so inspiring. TIA

Thanks..not sure what you mean about meaning? Actually i just picked a bible verse Jude 1:24-25..to put as a prayer. Or are you asking what the holding cross is?
letypedroza Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:42:38 PM(UTC)
letypedroza

Was thanked: 204 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Yes I meant what is the holding cross, sorry for the confusion.
kimcar Offline
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:30:39 PM(UTC)
kimcar

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 87 post(s)
On the old message board, I think there was something posted by PC about not making more than a certain number of cuts of an image For sale) from a cart. I don't know if that is still true.
May be some of the old mb friends remember.
unregistered Offline
#18 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2012 6:35:54 AM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Provo Craft does have an "Angel Policy" that does outline what can and can't be sold - and how it has to be labeled. It's about as clear as mud - lol! I know it does change from time to time also.

Provo Craft Angel Policy

You can't sell items that use designs from cartridges that have 3rd party rights - such as Disney, Sesame Street, Warner Brothers, Hello Kitty, Martha Stewart, etc...

I don't know how this would affect the very popular Art Philosophy cartridge - because it is from Close to My Heart.. Not sure how that works.

I know it used to state in the Angel Policy how many cuts could be sold - something like 10,000. I am also not sure if a basic "cut" can be sold as is - or if it has to be incorporated into something.

How does this affect the Cricut Cake users? Can they not sell a cake that has Elmo or Mickey Mouse - or anything from the Martha Stewart carts?
Maxluv Offline
#19 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2012 6:42:14 AM(UTC)
Maxluv

United States

Originally Posted by: IowaGirl2011 Go to Quoted Post
Provo Craft does have an "Angel Policy" that does outline what can and can't be sold - and how it has to be labeled. It's about as clear as mud - lol! I know it does change from time to time also.

Provo Craft Angel Policy

You can't sell items that use designs from cartridges that have 3rd party rights - such as Disney, Sesame Street, Warner Brothers, Hello Kitty, Martha Stewart, etc...

I don't know how this would affect the very popular Art Philosophy cartridge - because it is from Close to My Heart.. Not sure how that works.

I know it used to state in the Angel Policy how many cuts could be sold - something like 10,000. I am also not sure if a basic "cut" can be sold as is - or if it has to be incorporated into something.

How does this affect the Cricut Cake users? Can they not sell a cake that has Elmo or Mickey Mouse - or anything from the Martha Stewart carts?

Interesting..so does a cart stop working after 10,000 cuts?lol Or does the Cricut police come out to check each person's machine to tell what they have been cutting? I see them saying something like this if a person had a store that they where cutting and selling items for, but still do the Cricut police go out very often?
Maxluv Offline
#20 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2012 6:44:05 AM(UTC)
Maxluv

United States

Originally Posted by: letypedroza Go to Quoted Post
Yes I meant what is the holding cross, sorry for the confusion.

Pretty much its a cross that you hold while praying.
unregistered Offline
#21 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2012 8:38:44 AM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Quote:
Interesting..so does a cart stop working after 10,000 cuts

I don't know if any of the Cricut stuff would actually work that long anyway - LOL!! Flapper

Quote:
but still do the Cricut police go out very often?

Actually, I think they do (more for online type of stuff) - I have heard of website owners getting a letter from PC because they had used the Cricut logo in conjunction with something Cricut related,... The NCAA also polices craft shows and online sites for misuse of their copy write sports logos. It's all very confusing - but if you are selling things, it has to be something you are aware of. It would be the pits to invest a lot of money in something like the cake cartridges and not be able to use a lot of them if you were selling.

I don't sell anything - just do things for my own fun.
Scootingranny Offline
#22 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2012 8:45:03 AM(UTC)
Scootingranny

Was thanked: 3495 time(s) in 1907 post(s)
I've been commissioned only twice for something and neither time did I make a profit if you considered time, glue, etc. It was fun to do but not profitable. It did help me buy replacement paper but nothing more.

What I did were 20 placecards for a dinner and the other was 10 cocoa boxes someone gave out for Christmas gifts. Not large scale commissions and I basically charged only for the paper.

Edited by user Friday, April 27, 2012 8:46:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scootingranny Offline
#23 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:31:08 AM(UTC)
Scootingranny

Was thanked: 3495 time(s) in 1907 post(s)
I subscribe to a blog that I've really enjoyed and this is her recent posting. I haven't had time to read it all yet but need to because I'd like to make a few $$ on what I love doing. I don't expect to make a profit off my level of skill but it would be great to get a few $$ to set aside for my crafting addiction!
http://www.aboverubiesst...RSS&utm_medium=email
ShawnMosch Offline
#24 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:47:41 PM(UTC)
ShawnMosch

Was thanked: 854 time(s) in 292 post(s)
I actually did a blog post recently on this topic . . . making money with your crafting projects. There are lots of ways to make money with crafts OTHER than selling the things you make. I don't sell anything I make, and I am generating income off of my hobby.

Here is the link to the blog post I did about the topic . . . http://craftychicsblog.b...e-money-with-crafts.html