Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

AshlieMcP Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 5:02:27 AM(UTC)
AshlieMcP

Groups: Registered

I purchased the Cricut from a friend's mom today. This machine was never used, purchased about 3 months ago, then sold because (my friend's mom) was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I paid her the full price of the machine because, well frankly, I feel bad for her. The machine had never been used - or even opened.

I took it out of the box (for the first time ever) tonight. Plugged it in, inserted the George and Basic Shapes cartridge, put the appropriate size paper on the mat, inserted it into the machine, and pressed "Load Paper."

The machine made a terrible, loud (vibrating/shaking type nose), the cutting blade assembly moved a little bit, and that's it. It didn't pull the mat in, it didn't take the paper at all. Every time I try to load the mat with paper, it doesn't take it. Just makes the horrible noise and nothing. The machine "thinks" the paper is loaded, as it allows me to select a design and push "click" - the cutting blade even moves around (horizontally only).

I have tried the hard reset and the soft reset, and have spent 5+ hours combing through the forums trying to find someone who has gone through this kind of problem. I didn't purchase the machine from a store, so I don't want to call CS - and I don't want to tell my friend's dying mom that the machine is not working. What am I supposed to do? I don't like it that it sounds like I'm about to be out $180 with nothing to show for it.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get it to work???

Thanks!
♥Carol♥ Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 5:48:14 AM(UTC)
♥Carol♥

Was thanked: 2764 time(s) in 2201 post(s)
I am going to guess that you have everything unpacked properly ... any tape holding parts in place, cardboard inserts, etc. You've checked to be sure that there is no loose debris inside the machine. The blade has been properly inserted into the cutting arm and screwed in securely ... and everything is now ready to go.

I am also going to guess that you're paper is in place on the mat correctly and is within the ruler grid markings (the lighter green portion of the mat) ... you are holding the mat in place, with the mat lined up to the under side of the rollers and that you are applying a gentle pressure to the mat as it is held in place .... then when you press the "LOAD PAPER" button, the rollers do not grab the mat and pull it in?

You mentioned doing both a "soft" and "hard" reset ... does that mean that you have restarted your machine using the start/stop buttons and unplugged/replugged your machine, and also that you have tried hitting the little red reset button too? Yet the loud noise continues each time you turn it on?

Given all this information, it sounds like you are doing everything correctly. For me, the next thing I would do would be to Call the Customer Support line (I definitely recommend a phone call, rather than an e-mail, for fastest response). It doesn't matter that you did not purchase the machine from a store ... we all get our machines different ways ... some purchase from a store or on line vendor, some purchase a used machine, some are gifted one, some have even won one, etc. It doesn't matter how you acquired your machine, it is still a Cricut machine and Customer Support will help you out if they possibly can.

My Cricut Expressions is now over 3 years old and has long since been out of warranty, but if I had a problem with it that I wasn't able to fix ... I would call Customer support ... I might have tears in my eyes as I do it ... but I would call. And don't worry, they are very friendly and will do all they can to assist you.

Good Luck!
 1 user thanked ♥Carol♥ for this useful post.
AshlieMcP on 11/3/2010(UTC)
♥Carol♥ Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 5:52:11 AM(UTC)
♥Carol♥

Was thanked: 2764 time(s) in 2201 post(s)
Ohhhhhhhhh ... and I forgot to say it ... but WELCOME to the Cricut Message Boards too! BigGrin

♥Carol♥ attached the following image(s):
fuzzy critter.jpg
 1 user thanked ♥Carol♥ for this useful post.
~AmyS~ Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:22:49 AM(UTC)
~AmyS~

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 3212 time(s) in 1361 post(s)
You are going to have to contact PC to have them arrange to send you a replacement. My first machine did that - horrible grinding noise. A portion of the moving parts was off track. It would not work at all.

PC has been good about fixing/replacing these machines that were messed up for the beginning.

Good luck and welcome
 1 user thanked ~AmyS~ for this useful post.
scrapalette Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:48:00 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18934 time(s) in 8449 post(s)
Definitely call Customer Service. They will help troubleshoot to get the machine working.

Before you call, I would ask the friend if by chance they have the receipt from when they bought the Cricut. Then, I would register the machine at cricut.com. The warranty usually does not transfer from one owner to the next, but PC will still try to help.

Which model Cricut is it?

Cricut® support hours
Monday - Friday 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (MST)
Cricut® support: 801-932-1144
toll free service phone: 877-7CRICUT

1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
Narelle Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 4:25:16 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7813 time(s) in 3647 post(s)
I'm so glad your machine is getting replaced.

The phone wait time may be long but it's so worth it when you get through. PC's CS staff are worth their wait in gold!

Edited to add: How weird..... my post got placed before yours. Must be something to do with the m/b's time clock being out of whack!

Edited by user Wednesday, November 03, 2010 4:26:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AshlieMcP Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:21:01 PM(UTC)
AshlieMcP

Thank you very much to everyone who posted. I called CS and they were great. The hold time was a bit long, but as soon as they heard the noise my machine was making, they said it would need to be returned them and exchanged for a new machine. This resolution could not have been better and I am very excited to be a part of this great community!

Best wishes!!
AshlieBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin