Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

TammiK Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 09, 2010 10:22:08 AM(UTC)
TammiK

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 435 time(s) in 346 post(s)
Does anyone have one? I was thinking of getting one for my 6 year old.

UPDATE: So I ordered our house Elf on Friday and it arrived today. Great job Barnes & Noble, and FREE Shipping as well. Anyway, I told DD that we had a special arrival from the North Pole today. I read her the book (even though she can read herself) I wanted her to really listen to it and find the magic in the story not just hurry up and read it. So after I was done I asked her if she wanted to meet him. (She named him Zad) She ran behind the chair, started crying and wouldn't come meet our new Elf! It was so hilarious in a way. I honestly think she thought a real live Elf was gonna pop outta that box! I should have had the video camera going the whole time. I don't mean to sound like I enjoy terrorizing my child, I don't, but boy this was just amazing. BigGrin

She has now calmed down and said HI to Zad, really loudly too I might add. She isn't scared anymore either. She's already apologized for silly things she's done around the house and talked to Zad about it. This might just work afterall for good behavior. WOOHOO!

Edited by user Monday, December 13, 2010 2:44:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scrapped Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 09, 2010 10:39:46 AM(UTC)
Scrapped

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have one for my 7yo. He LOVES it. We started back in 2008. Great tradition. He loves getting up every morning and looking for his elf. I just bought it for my cousin's daughters this year and gave it to them on Thanksgiving.
 1 user thanked Scrapped for this useful post.
TammiK on 12/9/2010(UTC)
NO_Mom Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 09, 2010 10:50:20 AM(UTC)
NO_Mom

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
yes, we have had our Elf, Andrew for 3 yrs now and I have a 7 and 5 yo. They love him. He has been such a fun tradition in our home.
 1 user thanked NO_Mom for this useful post.
TammiK on 12/9/2010(UTC)
dansgg Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 09, 2010 11:02:52 AM(UTC)
dansgg

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 228 post(s)
I think you 6yo would love it!! I have several friends who have him visit their home and all the kids love it!
 1 user thanked dansgg for this useful post.
TammiK on 12/9/2010(UTC)
GrammyCris Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 09, 2010 11:38:05 AM(UTC)
GrammyCris

Was thanked: 1149 time(s) in 536 post(s)
My 3 year old grandaughter has one, Rodney Roo....she loves him! She reports to me what she thinks Rodney says about her...and she loves to look for him each morning to see where he is!
 1 user thanked GrammyCris for this useful post.
TammiK on 12/9/2010(UTC)
Jrgal Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 09, 2010 12:00:50 PM(UTC)
Jrgal

Was thanked: 244 time(s) in 235 post(s)
I dont have the Elf on a Shelf but we do have a Magic Elf and have the best time with them.
 1 user thanked Jrgal for this useful post.
TammiK on 12/9/2010(UTC)
TammiK Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 09, 2010 12:01:01 PM(UTC)
TammiK

GREAT! I just bought the book/elf online at Barnes & Noble. I'm anxious for his arrival. However I see there is a skirt available if your elf would rather be female! LOL

Thanks for replying.
Coggie4556 Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 09, 2010 8:58:01 PM(UTC)
Coggie4556

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 69 post(s)
I just bought this a couple of weeks ago for my 2 grand-daughters (4 & 6) that live with me and what fun we have had with this. They love to look for "shelf elf" each morning and they especially love it when he is hiding up high.
 1 user thanked Coggie4556 for this useful post.
TammiK on 12/10/2010(UTC)
micheles Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 09, 2010 9:16:35 PM(UTC)
micheles

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 358 time(s) in 178 post(s)
can someone post what it is about?
kissakoala*[º0º]* Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 09, 2010 9:24:27 PM(UTC)
kissakoala*[º0º]*

Was thanked: 1748 time(s) in 977 post(s)
My kids grew up with our own Magic Elf. My kids are now 30 and 32. We learned about Magic elf from a friend and he still sits is among my Christmas Decorations. After my 2 granddaughters were born, I made them an elf from Sculpey. They love their Mr. Elf and my DD has carried out the tradition.

I recently found an Elf ornament (well, he was in the ornament section at Meijers) and he is now our Mr. Elf's assistant (since our Mr. Elf is getting up in years) My DGDs look for both of them whenever they visit.

I was in a Hallmark store recently with the Elf on a Shelf book and I was very disappointed with the way that elf looks. I"m glad I have the ones we have.

Since this story has been around for so long, I wonder where it originated. I've known about it since the 80's, but its only been a few years where the book and elf are in the stores. Obviously someone is making money off the idea....I'm just curious to know where it started.

I think your child will love it. My kids still talk about when they would get up in the morning, they would look for Mr. Elf as he would appear in a different spot every time he returned from his report to Santa.
 1 user thanked kissakoala*[º0º]* for this useful post.
DizzyMama Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 09, 2010 9:34:00 PM(UTC)
DizzyMama

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Oh! How cute! I haven't heard of this. My youngest boys are 4 and 5 and would get a good kick out of this tradition. I will have to check into this. Thanks so much for idea.
 1 user thanked DizzyMama for this useful post.
LeslieReams Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 09, 2010 9:37:14 PM(UTC)
LeslieReams

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I have a ton of vintage ornaments including several of the original "freaky elves" as my teenage boys call them. We love them on our tree.
 1 user thanked LeslieReams for this useful post.
pookie1 Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 09, 2010 9:44:07 PM(UTC)
pookie1

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 135 post(s)
TammiK wrote:
GREAT! I just bought the book/elf online at Barnes & Noble. I'm anxious for his arrival. However I see there is a skirt available if your elf would rather be female! LOL

Thanks for replying.

I found this
girl elf

I have never heard of this before but I LIKE it!
 1 user thanked pookie1 for this useful post.
SouthernVintage Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 7:16:21 AM(UTC)
SouthernVintage

United States

Was thanked: 801 time(s) in 713 post(s)
My grandkids have it and LOVE him, esp. when he does tricks or gets into mischief.
 1 user thanked SouthernVintage for this useful post.
Craftybird-Cindy Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 5:37:01 PM(UTC)
Craftybird-Cindy

Was thanked: 227 time(s) in 183 post(s)
I had never heard of this either!! What a wonderful idea. I wish I knew about it when my girls were younger!!
 1 user thanked Craftybird-Cindy for this useful post.
TammiK Offline
#16 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2010 2:45:14 PM(UTC)
TammiK

Update in first post!BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
planlady19 Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2010 9:47:48 PM(UTC)
planlady19

United States

Was thanked: 283 time(s) in 265 post(s)
just purchased the Christopher Popkins verison of the elf on the shelf which can be ordered online and they actually have a female versison for anyone who wants one. i got mine at a craft2000 store but you can order it online by seraching for christopher popkins.
 1 user thanked planlady19 for this useful post.
TammiK on 12/14/2010(UTC)
Camille Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2010 10:03:53 PM(UTC)
Camille

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kissakoala*[º0º Go to Quoted Post
*]My kids grew up with our own Magic Elf. My kids are now 30 and 32. We learned about Magic elf from a friend and he still sits is among my Christmas Decorations. After my 2 granddaughters were born, I made them an elf from Sculpey. They love their Mr. Elf and my DD has carried out the tradition.

I recently found an Elf ornament (well, he was in the ornament section at Meijers) and he is now our Mr. Elf's assistant (since our Mr. Elf is getting up in years) My DGDs look for both of them whenever they visit.

I was in a Hallmark store recently with the Elf on a Shelf book and I was very disappointed with the way that elf looks. I"m glad I have the ones we have.

Since this story has been around for so long, I wonder where it originated. I've known about it since the 80's, but its only been a few years where the book and elf are in the stores. Obviously someone is making money off the idea....I'm just curious to know where it started.

I think your child will love it. My kids still talk about when they would get up in the morning, they would look for Mr. Elf as he would appear in a different spot every time he returned from his report to Santa.

We had many elves in our tree like the one in the Elf on the SHelf book when we were little, wayyy back in the 60's, but there was no story or tradition like the book that we did. My mother just told us that having them in your tree was good luck and she called them pixies.
 1 user thanked Camille for this useful post.
britngavin Offline
#19 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2010 11:33:41 PM(UTC)
britngavin

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 81 post(s)
OH little kids are the funniest! At least she's not scared of him anymore! My "aunt by heart"(as she calls her self, she's my mom's best friend & my godmother, lol) actually bought me one for my house a couple years ago. I think my munchkin was barely 1 when we got it, and he just turned 4 last week so maybe I'll get it out now. This is the first year he's really understood the whole North Pole-Santa-Presents deal and so he tells me everyday that he's gonna be really good so that Santa will bring him presents, and then he's turning around and telling me, "Mom, Santa lives at the North Pole, that's really really far away. But he'll bring me presents if I'm good." The things that come out of his mouth now just make me giggle.(Totally unrelated to the elf, but earlier tonight I was told by my munchkin that he, our friend Jake, and I were going to outer space because it's his favorite place and that Jake & I will love it there the most. Somewhere warm, definitely, outer space, not so much.)
 1 user thanked britngavin for this useful post.
Caitlynsmommy Offline
#20 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:59:52 AM(UTC)
Caitlynsmommy

Was thanked: 339 time(s) in 253 post(s)
I bought our this year. Caitlyn named him Sulley (after the monster on Monsters Inc) and EVERY morning the first thing out of her mouth is "Sulley went far far away, it really really cold he napping" LOL! She is so funny. She LOVES finding him every morning and after naptime too! She loves for him to ride this rocking horse decoration that I have. She does not "Get" the good behavior/reporting to Santa yet but she just turned three last week so I am happy with the excitement of finding him. She did awesome with Santa yesterday (yep proud Mommy here!)
 1 user thanked Caitlynsmommy for this useful post.