Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Gammascraps Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:57:48 PM(UTC)
Gammascraps

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I looked at Copic Markers but WOW!!! Is there anything similar to them but less expensive. I see where Stampin Up has Write Markers, Watercolor Crayons and Watercolor Pencils. Any advice would be appreciated. (Yeah - call me cheap!!)
MELM Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:38:27 PM(UTC)
MELM

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I have heard good things about pro markers and have seen the beautiful work Enfys does with them. (they are on my next to purchase list). They are considerably cheaper, but supposed to be a good product. Check out the blog ( great work and fun to read too!)

HTH

http://going-buggy.blogspot.com/

Lguild Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:22:57 PM(UTC)
Lguild

Was thanked: 1717 time(s) in 690 post(s)
Promarkers. Got mine at carpediemstore.com. They're $1.49 each.
ylrosebud270 Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:31:57 PM(UTC)
ylrosebud270

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Hopefully my ProMarker will be on the way soon. I check my CC and it was charged on the 16th.
Tassy Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:38:41 PM(UTC)
Tassy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Personally, I did not really clicked with promarkers. I find them to be less blendable than copics. I do not own many copics as they are out of my league, money wise, but I have a few and I love them. I only bought three in each primary colours(light, dark and darkest), and a few pastels and that does the work for me. I also gave away my promarkers but I have seen other people doing great stuffs with them.Maybe it's just me as sometimes we do not always like a products others like. So please be aware this is only my personal opinion based on personal experience.
now as far as SU markers are concerned, they are water colour based whereas promarkers and copics are alcohol based.The difference is, with SU markers, you can scribble with them on an acrylic block then use a paintbrush to pick the colour and paint to achieve a range of tone on paper. you can also use it direct on your stamps , huff on the stamp to activate the water property in the ink, then you can stamp for a soft image. The watercolour crayons are similar, you can use water with them, to get a lighter tone of the colour you are using by using a wet paintbrush to drag the colour around.They are also more translucent.But alcohol based inks , they are more vivid in tone.When you paint with it, they are opaque and they dry fast.You cannot blend them with water but you can use the blender pen to blend or lighten up any colour. But the colour is reactive to alcohol based ink, so if you can add layer upon layer of the same colour to make it darker.
That's my three cents on your query.If you have any more questions feel free to ask.I am sure there will be other people who will help you more on this as well.
Tassy
okie_ladybug Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:51:00 PM(UTC)
okie_ladybug

Was thanked: 3347 time(s) in 1125 post(s)
I use the ProMarkers as well and love them! Matter of fact I am having a giveaway on my blog for a set of 12 right now and the deadline to enter is Sunday.
Hugabug Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:52:57 PM(UTC)
Hugabug

Was thanked: 542 time(s) in 238 post(s)
Gammascraps wrote:
I looked at Copic Markers but WOW!!! Is there anything similar to them but less expensive. I see where Stampin Up has Write Markers, Watercolor Crayons and Watercolor Pencils. Any advice would be appreciated. (Yeah - call me cheap!!)

Not "cheap" at all. I refer it to be called "thrifty". I use the Promarkers. I love them. I had never used any markers and I did not want to invest alot of money into them and then find out I didn't like markers at all. I have had no regrets at all with my purchase of Pro Markers. Check oy Enfys and Okies blogs. Tons of info on them.
okie_ladybug Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:39:48 PM(UTC)
okie_ladybug

Was thanked: 3347 time(s) in 1125 post(s)
Here are a couple of things I have done with them...

ValerieSchomburg Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:44:24 AM(UTC)
ValerieSchomburg

Was thanked: 1594 time(s) in 1473 post(s)
Can anyone tell me where to buy Promarkers? I've checked Joann and Michael's online.....but nothing. Do I need to go to an art supply store?

I've just been using my colored pencils but would like to get started with some kind of markers. Need to figure out where to buy and what colors to start with too.

Thanks in advance.

6thprentontawnyowld26b3dd9 Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:52:51 AM(UTC)
6thprentontawnyowld26b3dd9

Was thanked: 93 time(s) in 87 post(s)
i use the pro markers and they are great but i cannot belive the prices you can got them for in the uk most shops hace them on sale at about £1.80 TO £2.00 IF YOU CAN GET THEM FOR $1.40 THAT IS ABOUT 1 ENGLIS POUND NOT NEARER 2 THAT WE HAVE TO PAY IN UK
lylacfey Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:07:22 AM(UTC)
lylacfey

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 251 post(s)
I haven't ordered any ProMarker's. I will probably try them sometime. I have a few Copics but I tend not to use them as most people do. I have been "painting" with them. Thanks to Mel at MelStampz for always thinking outside the box.

I love my PrismaColor markers. I also use Sharpies and Bics.
Hugabug Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:16:58 AM(UTC)
Hugabug

Was thanked: 542 time(s) in 238 post(s)
ValerieSchomburg wrote:
Can anyone tell me where to buy Promarkers? I've checked Joann and Michael's online.....but nothing. Do I need to go to an art supply store?

I've just been using my colored pencils but would like to get started with some kind of markers. Need to figure out where to buy and what colors to start with too.

Thanks in advance.

CArpe Diam Store. They are only $1.49. They are ship from CA. Enfys blog has a wonderful "starter" color list.

auntiesherry2bea2d80e Offline
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:24:04 AM(UTC)
auntiesherry2bea2d80e

Originally Posted by: Gammascraps Go to Quoted Post

Just goes to show how older posts are very helpful. I was shocked by the copic price. Even more shocked when a set really doesn't show any or much of a savings

I just ordered a 5 pack of ProMarkers for skin tones. I really need help with skin tones and maybe this will help.
Once I try them out I'll most likely order more..hope they work. Thanks to all that gave options and also the store name-carpe diem.
coralz Offline
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:47:48 AM(UTC)
coralz

Was thanked: 189 time(s) in 145 post(s)
spectrum noir by crafters companion is a new brand they color pretty well and if you are on the east coast of the us acmoore carries them in sets. use a coupon and they average 1.21 per merker