Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

MnMLadyGreen Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 1:51:29 AM(UTC)
MnMLadyGreen

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So I just got my taxes and I want to spend some money on cartridges... I want to know what are your favorite cartridges, which cartridges you use most often and why. Just started cricuting at Christmas. Don't have many cartridges and I'm looking for some insight on which ones to buy. Any advice would be appreciated.
LisaDePugh Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 5:29:28 AM(UTC)
LisaDePugh

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 215 post(s)
With so many to choose from I know it can be overwhelming at times. I have somewhere around 100 and I have a hard time choosing sometimes. My "go to's" are Celebrations (mostly birthday stuff) Beyond Birthdays (mostly anything other than birthdays) Storybook (I love the flourished style but it's all capital letters) Jasmine (My favorite font. It's a print but can be welded with DS or G) and Ashlyn's Alphabet. I use Heritage and Sentimentals a lot too. Hope you have fun!
 1 user thanked LisaDePugh for this useful post.
MnMLadyGreen on 2/13/2011(UTC)
♥Carol♥ Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 6:01:17 AM(UTC)
♥Carol♥

Was thanked: 2765 time(s) in 2202 post(s)
I agree ... with so many carts to choose from ... It would help if you shared a little more about you ... for example ... do you prefer to make cards or scrapbook layouts? Or maybe home decor items or gifts or something else? Do you have children, grandchildren, etc. ... and if so, what are their ages? Male or female?

Are there any special interests/hobbies that you and your family participate in? Like playing sports, camping, dancing/singing, cooking/baking, traveling, etc.?

How about your profession? Are you a Doctor? Nurse? Teacher? Fireman/woman? Computer Tech? Student?

Any special events coming up??? Birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, births, christenings, graduations, etc.?

Any special preferences? Do you prefer font or image cartridges? Do you like your fonts to be basic? Fun? Fancy? Same with your images ... do you like images that are cute and fun? Fancy and frilly? Or do you prefer images with a more realistic look?

Knowing a bit more about you will help us suggest cartridges that might be of interest to you and/or ones that you might get the most use out of.

Plus, there are other options that may help ... if you have the Design Studio program, or a Gypsy, you can scan through all the available cartridges which will allow you to see exactly what is on each cart (although you can only cut with the carts you actually have).

Or ... you might even want to visit the cartridge library to see the various carts and what is on each one ... you can see it here ... http://www.cricut.com/in...n/cartridge_library.aspx

1 user thanked ♥Carol♥ for this useful post.
CraftyMrs Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:03:46 AM(UTC)
CraftyMrs

Was thanked: 226 time(s) in 116 post(s)
10.Camp Out- My husband is an avid outdoorsman. This cart has some great camping, hunting, fishing, and other outdoor country life images.

9. Mini Monograms- This has some great font options. They don't always match up but they are great for monograming and cake carriers. I also use the scallop circle and square on this cartridge frequently.

8. Life's a Beach- We go to the beach every year, but even if you are not beach goers it is worthwhile. It has a great tiki hut font. It also has some great summer time images and phrases as well.

7. Paper Doll Dress Up- I will be honest and tell you I have never used this one to actually cut a paper doll! I got this and kept it purely for the extras on this cart. It has lots of great accessory items hidden within the buttons.

6. George and Basic Shapes- I am not super crazy about the font on this one but the basic shapes on this one are great! It comes with the standard circle, square, rectangle, but it also has some rounded edges and some funky shapes too.

5. Plantin School Book- 1 word...Endcaps! I use this creative feature the most on this cart. It's great for tags or when you don't quite have enough time to place a bunch of letters.

4. Storybook- Great fonts and gorgeous flourishes. The plainer font is great for either gender but it has a swirly embellished font that is great for the feminine flair!

3. Give a Hoot- Great animals and flourishes

2. A Child's Year- Oh I could go on and on... First let me say I do not have children and still this is one of my favorites! First, the silhouettes on this cartridge are beautiful. They really paid attention to detail with these images down to the outline of the shoes and hem lines on clothes. This also has a great every day font. It's not the typical "times new roman" but it works for just about anything. Lastly, this cartridge has great extras as well (graduation cap for example). If I am searching for inspiration for something this is probably my first stop.

1. Lyrical Letters- This is one I paid the most money for. It was one of my first cartridges! This one has 7 great fonts (they are all very different). It also has great extras for all the holidays and every day events in your life
 1 user thanked CraftyMrs for this useful post.
rhondah* Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:12:25 AM(UTC)
rhondah*

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 15279 time(s) in 8990 post(s)
I love Lyrical Letters, and A Child's Year. These are the two I have sitting out all the time.BigGrin
 1 user thanked rhondah* for this useful post.
AmandaSmith23 Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:18:04 AM(UTC)
AmandaSmith23

Was thanked: 476 time(s) in 296 post(s)
My most used cartridge is Create a Critter! I think Lyrical Letters is my new favorite font cartridge.
 1 user thanked AmandaSmith23 for this useful post.
LoraineJenkins Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:18:17 AM(UTC)
LoraineJenkins

Was thanked: 214 time(s) in 128 post(s)
I love A Child's Year. I use it a lot because the images are simple and easy to work with, cover a lot of different occasions and look beautiful. If you are just starting, I would also recommend Doodlecharms. It's one of the first carts they released, but has a ton of images. The book is super thick!! It also covers everything from baby, to birthdays, to seasonal. Either of the Paper Doll cartridges are great as well because of all the extras. Just a warning, once you start buying cartridges you may find it hard to stop! BigGrin BigGrin
 1 user thanked LoraineJenkins for this useful post.
Michele4 Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:32:10 AM(UTC)
Michele4

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Create a Critter!!
We are using it now for Valentine's and I use it ALL the time, it seems to work for tons of things!
 1 user thanked Michele4 for this useful post.
ScrapyPiggy Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:58:56 AM(UTC)
ScrapyPiggy

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 183 post(s)
I agree there are some many to choose from its best for you to look through the list of carts like Carol suggested and see what your style is.

The ones I have been using the most recently are:

Nursery rhymes
A Childs First Year
Create a Critter
both Paper dolls
Hannah Montana for the fonts
Pooh and Friends
George and Basic shapes

This is just because I have been working on 2 baby books.

I just purchased a bunch when Micheals was doing the $9.99 sale to clearence out the older carts so now I have a bunch more to play with so maybe one of them will become my favorite.

As you start to use your carts you will find there are ones you will go back to for specific items and others you will be like I didn't know that was there.

Have fun and welcome to the wonderful world of Cricut.
 1 user thanked ScrapyPiggy for this useful post.
Ireland Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 9:18:33 AM(UTC)
Ireland

Was thanked: 262 time(s) in 193 post(s)
I was just going to post this same question! heh My hubs just got his annual bonus and I'm going to spend some on carts. The ones I keep mulling over trying to decide what to get are

- Create a Critter
- Mini Monsters
- Ashlyn's Alpabet
- Storybook
- Both Paper Doll ones
- Happy Hauntings (halloween pages for my girls and for cards for my oldest's school halloween parties)
- H2O Seasonal (lots of great beachy images, we spend a lot of time in the summer at the parks/splash pads)
- Birthday Bash
- Stretch Your Imagination
- Walk in the Garden
- Once Upon a Princess
- Pack Your Bags (great travel images, we take trips annually)
- Robotz (bday cards for her friends)
- Jasimine
- Twinkle Toes (My daughter is in gymnastics and starting to take dance)
- Hoot n' Holler (love the Owls)

And I'd love to have Campin' Critters (we camp a lot in the summer) but I'm waiting for it to come down in price. I've got about $300 to spend and you'd think it'd be easy since I am starting from scratch again after selling my baby bug and cartridges almost 2yrs ago, but it's not! heh

I have 2 girls and am back to working on their scrapbooks so that is a bit of a deciding factor in my choices. Other fonts carts I had before that I liked were Alphalicious and Opposites Attract.

Edited by user Sunday, February 13, 2011 9:24:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Ireland for this useful post.
MnMLadyGreen Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:30:11 PM(UTC)
MnMLadyGreen

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This is exactly what I was wanting! I have been spending time going through all the books for the carts but I think sometimes I overlook things that I could be using for projects. I like everyones advice so far. I use it for cards, layouts and gifts. I really want the tags, bags, boxes and more but I can't justify paying over 100 on ebay since it's discontinued. I love flourishes, frames and borders. I love my create a critter cart I agree that so far this is the most used one out of the 5 I do have. I work at a banking institution, have a 6 year old son, significant other who is a tech guru. Both of our families were in the military. We love music, movies and entertaining. Our family travels yearly, Mom just went to germany and will be going to hawaii at the end of this month.

Edited by user Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:31:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Erika Frey Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:57:54 PM(UTC)
Erika Frey

Was thanked: 266 time(s) in 153 post(s)
My absolute all time favorite is Forever Young. I love the hip images and it makes for a really quick and cute birthday card for my friends.
 1 user thanked Erika Frey for this useful post.
MissNinja Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:12:32 PM(UTC)
MissNinja

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I'm a huge fan of Create a Critter. Most of my cards so far have been from that one cart. It's extremely easy to layer all the pieces. I've looked at my other handbooks, and I don't want to deal with cutting them until Cricut Craft Room comes out since I want one cut to actually be different colors, and I don't want to keep cutting and wasting paper. Create a Critter is EXTREMELY easy to figure out! It's also extremely easy to mass produce. Just before, I cut out 3 of the same butterfly, and I know in the future, I'll probably do as many as I possibly can on one sheet, put them together, and then save them for future cards.

Also, because they're just cute animals, they can be used for any occasion, in my opinion. They can also be made different by changing the colors or adding glitter!
scrappindenise Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:39:42 PM(UTC)
scrappindenise

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
So many great carts!! Some of my favorites...

Graphically Speaking
any Disney cart
Life's a Beach
Lacy Labels
Sentimentals
Heritage
Cindy Loo
LadyJane Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:51:10 PM(UTC)
LadyJane

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
The ones I have used the most are Simply Charmed, Create A Critter, Opposites Attract, Don Juan, Celebrate With Flourish, Mickey Font, Plantin Schoolbook, and Hello Kitty font. I have at least 60, but those I use the most. I like fonts and holiday carts. It really on depends upon what you make, as Carol said. Good luck, welcome, and enjoy!
classcscrapper Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:55:49 PM(UTC)
classcscrapper

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I am very selective about the cartridges I buy. I choose cartridges that I know I will get a lot of use out of. The cartridges I use a lot are create a critter (my newest favorite cartridge), paper doll dress up, everyday paper dolls, and doodlecharms. I just bought a gypsy and I really like gypsy wanderings. I love those cartridges that are versatile. Have fun buying up new cartridges, but remember it is very addicting! :-)
Kreimers Offline
#17 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 9:59:57 PM(UTC)
Kreimers

Was thanked: 751 time(s) in 473 post(s)
My Top 10 Favorite Carts.

10. Lacy Labels (this is great for layers and mats)
9. Pack Your Bags (great water images and travel images)
8. Life's a Party (Has boxes, cards, and others fun images)
7. Create a Critter (fun images)
6. Simply Charmed (Fun and easy to use)
5. Doodlecarms
4. Just because card (Great to use for card making)
3. A Child Year
2. Playtime
1. Cindy Loo

A lot more I like and use and my top 10 changes, but I really likes these and I can always turn to them when I need to.
ConstanceShortel Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 12:58:44 PM(UTC)
ConstanceShortel

Was thanked: 1199 time(s) in 859 post(s)
Create A Critter
Camp Out
Lyrical Letters

And REALLY, REALLY want:

Nates ABC's
Camping Critters.
Ireland Offline
#19 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 3:54:41 PM(UTC)
Ireland

Was thanked: 262 time(s) in 193 post(s)
So I finally ordered my carts...more than I planned, I got most of what I listed above and a few I did not list. Blushing
Friend958 Offline
#20 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 5:11:20 PM(UTC)
Friend958

Was thanked: 245 time(s) in 195 post(s)
My fav is create a critter. I totally dislike Jasmine for cards, works for larger letters.
cropaholic Offline
#21 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:28:09 PM(UTC)
cropaholic

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 161 post(s)
My favourites are:

Graphically Speaking - I use this a lot for titles
A Child's Year - I love the silhouette images and it can be used for so many occasions
Paper Doll Dress Up - another versatile cart that has so many extras
George & Basic Shapes - I love this one for all the basic shapes (circles, hearts, etc.)