Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Dee Bishop Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:57:36 PM(UTC)
Dee Bishop

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Okay... probably a dumb question, but if I buy a digital cartridge - I understand I can only use it in the Craft Room - but does it actually cut out the images on my Cricut or what? How does it work? I have a Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter I got from HSN for Christmas if that helps. Just not sure how the digital aspect works.

D. Confused
Maxluv Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:12:31 PM(UTC)
Maxluv

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 482 time(s) in 369 post(s)
Yes it will cut out the images on the Cricut..you have to connect the machine to your computer. I'm not really sure if it works with the Personal Cutter tho? I've never used it but most people use it with the Expression. Is your mat size 6 x 12? or 12 x 12?
scrapalette Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:13:31 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19106 time(s) in 8537 post(s)
The digital cart images that you purchase are stored in your cricut.com account. You log into CCR using your cricut.com account username and password. When you are ready to CUT from CCR, it knows which images you have access to and will send those to your Cricut to cut.
Dee Bishop Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:15:58 AM(UTC)
Dee Bishop

United States

That is just TOO cool! I'm already getting addicted to this thing. I think hubby may regret buying it since now I HAVE to have more cartridges!! Laugh Thanks!!
keke32861ab61f2 Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:43:11 PM(UTC)
keke32861ab61f2

Okay, on this topic, where do you go or how do you buy the digital cartridges?
Narelle Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:59:47 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Was thanked: 7884 time(s) in 3692 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keke32861ab61f2 Go to Quoted Post
Okay, on this topic, where do you go or how do you buy the digital cartridges?

Click on the Shopping tab at the top of this screen and login if necessary.

There's two places you'll find digital carts. The first is the Cricut Craft Room Exclusives.

The other is in the Cartridges section - Digital Cartridges.

Once your purchase shows as finalized in your account you'll be able to cut with them in CCR.
Dee Bishop Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 6:12:12 AM(UTC)
Dee Bishop

United States

I'm guessing because of Provo Craft's stringent rules, you can't use free SVG files in any way with any of the cutters... is that true?
scrapalette Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 6:32:55 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Not sure what rules you're referring to, but Cricut machines and ProvoCraft's design programs can only read .ccr, .gypsy and .cut files. They cannot read .svg nor any other file extension (.gsd, .wpc, .dfx, etc). Other cutters can't read .ccr, .gypsy and .cut files.
Dee Bishop Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 7:35:24 AM(UTC)
Dee Bishop

United States

I've been told by others, and found in my own research, that there is/was software you could buy and use with the Cricuts that would allow you to import your own images and cut them. But Provo Craft sued at least one, possibly both of the two companies who made the two programs for copyright infringement (I believe it was) and the programs no longer work with the Cricut machines. That's what I was referring to. I must have used the wrong file extension (which doesn't surprise me!) but my question was really about whether there is a way to import free images or not.

(I've been dealing with vertigo issues which are making me dizzy, in addition to making my brain fuzzy. If I don't make sense, PLEASE bear with me and tell me to clarify! Cool )
JOANIEFORD Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 7:56:28 AM(UTC)
JOANIEFORD

Can someone please clarify for me.......if I purchase a digital cartridge (not a craft room exclusive) but a digital one, will it link to my gypsy so I can create and cut those images from my gypsy instead of CCR?? Thank you!!
scrapalette Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 3:14:10 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Originally Posted by: Dee Bishop Go to Quoted Post
I've been told by others, and found in my own research, that there is/was software you could buy and use with the Cricuts that would allow you to import your own images and cut them. But Provo Craft sued at least one, possibly both of the two companies who made the two programs for copyright infringement (I believe it was) and the programs no longer work with the Cricut machines. That's what I was referring to. I must have used the wrong file extension (which doesn't surprise me!) but my question was really about whether there is a way to import free images or not.

(I've been dealing with vertigo issues which are making me dizzy, in addition to making my brain fuzzy. If I don't make sense, PLEASE bear with me and tell me to clarify! Cool )

There were actually 3 other software programs that were able to send different cutting files to a Cricut. But, those programs are no longer sold with Circut compatibility. PC developed the Cricut to be cart based and that's the way they want to keep it. So, no you cannot import images into CCR {or DS or a gypsy}. I was just trying to point out that the other cutters can't read PC's cutting files either, so the block goes both ways.

There are free .cut files, .ccr files and .gypsy files that you can use if you have the carts the designs are made with.
scrapalette Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 3:15:34 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

All of your digital purchases (whether full carts or CCR exclusives) are linked to your cricut.com account and should be available on your gypsy after your purchase is completed and you update your gypsy.
 1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
JOANIEFORD on 1/20/2012(UTC)
LazyBee Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 4:33:14 PM(UTC)
LazyBee

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 639 time(s) in 306 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
All of your digital purchases (whether full carts or CCR exclusives) are linked to your cricut.com account and should be available on your gypsy after your purchase is completed and you update your gypsy.

the question is though....Can you use the digital images on the gypsy like you do your linked cartridges without having to be connected to CCR. For example: Let's say I don't have an internet connection and I want to use a digital cart that I have purchased and downloaded/linked to my Gypsy. Can I create and cut with it?
Dee Bishop Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 5:06:28 PM(UTC)
Dee Bishop

United States

Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
There were actually 3 other software programs that were able to send different cutting files to a Cricut. But, those programs are no longer sold with Circut compatibility. PC developed the Cricut to be cart based and that's the way they want to keep it. So, no you cannot import images into CCR {or DS or a gypsy}. I was just trying to point out that the other cutters can't read PC's cutting files either, so the block goes both ways.

There are free .cut files, .ccr files and .gypsy files that you can use if you have the carts the designs are made with.

That makes sense. I wasn't sure about the type of file. Still new to all this stuff!!
Narelle Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 5:12:39 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Was thanked: 7884 time(s) in 3692 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LazyBee Go to Quoted Post
the question is though....Can you use the digital images on the gypsy like you do your linked cartridges without having to be connected to CCR. For example: Let's say I don't have an internet connection and I want to use a digital cart that I have purchased and downloaded/linked to my Gypsy. Can I create and cut with it?

Yes! Digital carts you purchase will appear on your gypsy as a linked cart after each Hello Thursday update. If you purchase a digital cart after Hello Thursday (the third Thursday of each month) it will be updated the next Hello Thursday.