Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Kristi2 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:05:39 PM(UTC)
Kristi2

Groups: Registered

Is there any way you can make your own designs off of your computer with the cricut cutting them? I have some designs I would like to make and cut but don't see them at all on any cartridges. Thank you!
mandys Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:39:08 PM(UTC)
mandys

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 167 time(s) in 136 post(s)
Yes and No. Currently with Design Studio & the Gypsy you can manipulate shapes from cartridges that you own to create anything you want. If Craftroom is ever released to the public it should do the same thing and is a free program.
If you are referring to creating your own vector based image using inkscape or adobe illustrator then no. In order to do this you must purchase a non-ProvoCraft software, these are not allowed to be discussed on the message board and PC has sued & shutdown most of them.
mama nay Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 3:07:27 PM(UTC)
mama nay

Was thanked: 409 time(s) in 243 post(s)
With the cricut no not really. You can build some stuff with design studio and the gypsy, but to totally build or create your own images and cut them on the cricut the short answer is no.

If this is something you "REALLY" want to do then look into Make the Cut and a different brand cutter. You can find a good bit of info from Jin's blog on various cutters and the software that will allow you to do this.
under a cherry tree
scrapalette Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 3:25:25 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18987 time(s) in 8485 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mandys Go to Quoted Post
PC has sued & shutdown most of them.

Not entirely accurate. There are lots of software based cutting machines on the market (many of them work with the 3rd party software that no longer works with a Cricut). The Cricut is a cartridge based cutting system and PC had to use legal means to protect their cart based system.

Although the Cricut/DS/Gypsy/CCR does not allow you to import images and trace them, you can create some amazing designs with the Cricut design programs.
Kut-n-Print Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 3:41:48 PM(UTC)
Kut-n-Print

Was thanked: 904 time(s) in 437 post(s)
Here is a trick for Cricut Design Studio or Cricut Craft Room that makes it easier to design your own things using shapes from cartridges.
http://cleversomeday.wor...011/05/19/tracing-trick/
sparklesisters Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 3:56:09 PM(UTC)
sparklesisters

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
Not entirely accurate. There are lots of software based cutting machines on the market (many of them work with the 3rd party software that no longer works with a Cricut). The Cricut is a cartridge based cutting system and PC had to use legal means to protect their cart based system.

Although the Cricut/DS/Gypsy/CCR does not allow you to import images and trace them, you can create some amazing designs with the Cricut design programs.

Don't post much here anymore, but since a bug guide discussed this I guess I will

I used to have the best of both worlds with my carts and third party. Since they got shut out of cricut I had to choose. I am choosing another cutter. I don't create much with the third party, but the thing people do create that I can access is amazing. I am going to miss my carts, and I used to think that was all I really needed, but I just can't stand being limited. I was going to wait until I could try the craft room, but I am not invited and I am no longer holding my breath.

To Kristi 2.. I also had some very specific things I wanted to do for our school and ball teams. I just get the design from the business and I can trace it right into my third party. It is soooo easy. I am switching over from my cricut slowly to another cutter, but love to still come here and see what people make. Good Luck!
mandys Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 4:08:42 PM(UTC)
mandys

Was thanked: 167 time(s) in 136 post(s)
to anyone experienced with Illustrator asking them to create with design studio is like giving Picasso some crayons. Not even Crayola, the off-brand.

To be fair, I haven't yet been able to try Craft Room and it may blow me away and redeem PC.

As for protecting their cartridge based system, I would agree the ability to "backup" copyrighted material would be infringement. It is a sad day when enhancing the capability of the machine is also considered an offense.
scarlet squirrel Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:15:32 PM(UTC)
scarlet squirrel

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mandys Go to Quoted Post
to anyone experienced with Illustrator asking them to create with design studio is like giving Picasso some crayons. Not even Crayola, the off-brand.

To be fair, I haven't yet been able to try Craft Room and it may blow me away and redeem PC.

LOL (wipes tears from eyes after laughing)

DS, sigh.

Currently I can access the CCR and I am grateful for the opportunity. However, it has a long road ahead. Once, some time ago, I was given the chance to try the third party type of program. Please, PC, get this ability soon as possible. I, too, hate to be limited. And my fingers are getting itchy for other ways of getting the cuts I want for my projects. When given the choice, I want to use my cricut cutter over another brand. 'Nuff said.