Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 03, 2011 5:21:21 PM(UTC)
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 12577 time(s) in 5050 post(s)
I have tons of colors of flocking material that I bought from cricut.com but I am having the worst time getting it so that the finished design is opaque and even. No matter what, I get spots where the flocking didn't adhere as well as others-- and always in a different spot.

Here's what I have tried: Yudu brand glue, Plaid Simply Screen glue, two different packs of flocking material (thinking maybe one was defective), letting the glue dry with flocking on it before ironing, ironing immediately and not letting the glue dry first, stacking the flocking with books to push it into the adhesive, doing the same thing but also letting the glue dry first.

I am out of ideas. This was my best attempt out of 5 -- but you can see the jack-o-lantern faces are not opaque, especially the one on the left. I did use a 70 mesh screen.

Any ideas?? Any tips??? I have some home decor ideas with window treatments to do with this stuff--- and maybe some jeans for my daughter --- but not until I figure out how to make it perfect. Any ideas would be appreciated!!!

Loves2Smock Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 03, 2011 7:12:00 PM(UTC)
Loves2Smock

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I have found that when glittering and flocking it helps to lay the glue on heavy, using a few passes over the screen. i also find that it works better if you do NOT use a sticky platen. Removing the fabric from the platen (when sticky) causes it to stretch and results in poor bonding. The only time you need to use a sticky platen is when you are doing a multicolored design and need to be able to line it up again after removing it.
#3 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2011 3:30:37 PM(UTC)

United States

Well, my platen is no longer sticky and I just lay the shirt on it -- I don't put the shirt through it anyway as instructed by Shannon Lerner.... so that's not the problem.

I did find that when I make several passes, just as with ink, the edges feather due to too much liquid media... soooooo that won't really help here.

Now, here's the even worse news: since posting this a month ago, the shirt was laundered and most of the flocking has come off. I have never had this problem with glittering, which I love!

Flocking is just not working out for me! I guess I will just stick with ink.... and glue with glitter!

But I do appreciate that you responded! I was starting to think no one has tried flocking papers!
NewfyMom Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2011 3:56:19 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 126 post(s)
HA! I didn't post because I haven't tried flocking. Flapper So sorry. I hate it when stuff falls apart. I have done glitter once and it worked great and let's face it a girl can go a long way with ink, glue and glitter!! LOL LOL
#5 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2011 5:49:44 PM(UTC)

United States

Originally Posted by: NewfyMom Go to Quoted Post
HA! I didn't post because I haven't tried flocking. Flapper So sorry. I hate it when stuff falls apart. I have done glitter once and it worked great and let's face it a girl can go a long way with ink, glue and glitter!! LOL LOL

You are so right!!

I think I will stick with ink, glue, and glitter.