Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Lindach23497230ff6 Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, January 09, 2012 8:52:01 AM(UTC)
Lindach23497230ff6

Groups: Registered

Hi All, I am very new to this forum, and am trying to practice with my new Cricut Cake Machine I got for Christmas. I am used to doing cakes and cookies with just buttercream frosting and doing designs on it, I have recently started using the frosting sheets and putting my designs on them then putting them on the buttercream, love that, they just melt right onto it and look amazing. But now I want to use the sheets on the cricut machine and do more designs on them, the first time I tried, it so tore up the frosting sheet that I had to stop the machine. BTW, I hate the taste of gum paste as do so many others, so I really don't want to put that on cakes, so does anyone at all have any idea what settings I will need to put the machine on to cut the frosting sheets without tearing them all up, I want to minimize my cost of buying them to "practice" so much with them and this week I have to do 2 large cakes for 2 different events, was really hoping to get some ideas. Thank you all.
KathyRoscoe Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:49:36 AM(UTC)
KathyRoscoe

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 249 post(s)
Linda,

My MIL and I played with my new Cricut Cake over the Christmas holidays and we used the Wilton sugar sheets that we bought on sale at Hobby Lobby. They worked beautifully right out of the package! I was expecting some problems and a big learning curve but it was a piece of cake. Pardon the pun! LOL Please post pictures of your cakes and any tips you have. Thanks, Kathy
nightmare/fan Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:53:47 PM(UTC)
nightmare/fan

United States

Was thanked: 265 time(s) in 138 post(s)
I tried the Wilton Frosting Sheets and had no problems as long as the designs were simple, but as soon as I tried something more intricate it tore and made a mess. I would love some helpful tips also. Am I may be using too much or not enough shortening on the mat?!
Jeanne
*NanaDonna* Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:33:53 PM(UTC)
*NanaDonna*

United States

Was thanked: 2658 time(s) in 1410 post(s)
On the other side, can you use a regular Expression to cut Fondant if you get the mats and the blades
for the Cricut cake??????
QuebecGirl Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:21:08 AM(UTC)
QuebecGirl

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The cricut expression is not "food safe" per provo craft.

Besides the type of materials used and the little rubber protectors, I do not know if there is other differences between the two machines.
shining Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:33:12 AM(UTC)
shining

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Before the Cake machine came out, I used my Expression for fondant and it worked fine. I only did it a couple of times; I am not a professional cake maker, but it did do a good job!
Mercy Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2012 12:04:59 AM(UTC)
Mercy

Was thanked: 2082 time(s) in 1202 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lindach23497230ff6 Go to Quoted Post
Hi All, I am very new to this forum, and am trying to practice with my new Cricut Cake Machine I got for Christmas. I am used to doing cakes and cookies with just buttercream frosting and doing designs on it, I have recently started using the frosting sheets and putting my designs on them then putting them on the buttercream, love that, they just melt right onto it and look amazing. But now I want to use the sheets on the cricut machine and do more designs on them, the first time I tried, it so tore up the frosting sheet that I had to stop the machine. BTW, I hate the taste of gum paste as do so many others, so I really don't want to put that on cakes, so does anyone at all have any idea what settings I will need to put the machine on to cut the frosting sheets without tearing them all up, I want to minimize my cost of buying them to "practice" so much with them and this week I have to do 2 large cakes for 2 different events, was really hoping to get some ideas. Thank you all.

You might be able to find more information in the below thread.

http://main.cricut.com/c...75_TIPS-and-RECIPES.aspx