Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

LindaGibb Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:59:31 AM(UTC)
LindaGibb

Groups: Registered
Bahrain

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I have a vague recollection of reading or watching a video where the cuttlebug or similar along with some dies were used to cut out shapes in fimo. Having spent the morning searching online and having a play I can't seem to get it to work.

I was wondering if anyone out there has managed to use the cuttlebug and dies to cut into fimo and if you have could you let me know how to do it.

Thanks in advance.
Sherri Kay Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:21:56 AM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2413 time(s) in 2165 post(s)
What is fimo?
LindaGibb Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:35:50 AM(UTC)
LindaGibb

Bahrain

Originally Posted by: Sherri Braun Go to Quoted Post
What is fimo?

Hi Sherri, Fimo is a form of modelling clay

Fimo
WonderWoman Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:44:43 AM(UTC)
WonderWoman

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Try this link - it talks about clay and cricut machine. Also compares different clays she uses with punches and stuff. Hope this helps.

http://www.crafttestdumm...er-clay-with-the-cricut/
 1 user thanked WonderWoman for this useful post.
LindaGibb on 3/14/2012(UTC)
LindaGibb Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:54:28 AM(UTC)
LindaGibb

Bahrain

Originally Posted by: WonderWoman Go to Quoted Post
Try this link - it talks about clay and cricut machine. Also compares different clays she uses with punches and stuff. Hope this helps.

http://www.crafttestdumm...er-clay-with-the-cricut/

Thanks, for the link, off to have a proper look. If I can do it with the cricut then it me a whole heap of designs.
lylacfey Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 1:01:46 AM(UTC)
lylacfey

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 251 post(s)
Cricut cuts Polymer clay beautifully. I was tempted to buy a Cricut cake machine just so I could do Polymer Clay. Most of the die cutters in the 500GSM range will cut polymer clay. I like the Cricut better because the blade seems to drag differently over the clay if that makes any sense. Any Cricut can cut Polymer Clay. I thought the cake would be nice because it's already set up for fondant cutting. A little tip try using one of the cake mats instead of a regular Cricut mat. The cake mats have no sticky.

Die cutting with the Cuttlebug. Oooh, that would be a little hard because any of the steel rule dies made like Sizzix or Accucut the clay would get in the rubber crevices. I think it would be a nightmare to clean out. If you were able to use the older steel rule dies that still have screws in them you can take apart the die and mod it out for clay work.

Nestabilities and those type of steel rule dies would probably work quite well for clay since they are pretty much a cookie cutter on steroids. The clay would have to be very thin. I would definitely use dedicated plates for clay work since they do leave a bit of film even after cleaning.

You can run Cuttlebug folders and other embossing folder brands through your Cuttlebug using Polymer Clay. The effects are amazing. A lot of Polymer artists are starting to do this. I have seen a popularity with Polymer clay artists buying Cuttlebugs to use specific for clay work. When artists write articles about what tools you need for clay work the embossing folders are becoming a must have essential tool like your pasta machine.

I hope that helps.

Edited by user Friday, March 16, 2012 1:03:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users thanked lylacfey for this useful post.
Tryna on 3/16/2012(UTC), LindaGibb on 3/21/2012(UTC)
LindaGibb Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:55:24 PM(UTC)
LindaGibb

Bahrain

Originally Posted by: lylacfey Go to Quoted Post
Cricut cuts Polymer clay beautifully. I was tempted to buy a Cricut cake machine just so I could do Polymer Clay. Most of the die cutters in the 500GSM range will cut polymer clay. I like the Cricut better because the blade seems to drag differently over the clay if that makes any sense. Any Cricut can cut Polymer Clay. I thought the cake would be nice because it's already set up for fondant cutting. A little tip try using one of the cake mats instead of a regular Cricut mat. The cake mats have no sticky.

Die cutting with the Cuttlebug. Oooh, that would be a little hard because any of the steel rule dies made like Sizzix or Accucut the clay would get in the rubber crevices. I think it would be a nightmare to clean out. If you were able to use the older steel rule dies that still have screws in them you can take apart the die and mod it out for clay work.

Nestabilities and those type of steel rule dies would probably work quite well for clay since they are pretty much a cookie cutter on steroids. The clay would have to be very thin. I would definitely use dedicated plates for clay work since they do leave a bit of film even after cleaning.

You can run Cuttlebug folders and other embossing folder brands through your Cuttlebug using Polymer Clay. The effects are amazing. A lot of Polymer artists are starting to do this. I have seen a popularity with Polymer clay artists buying Cuttlebugs to use specific for clay work. When artists write articles about what tools you need for clay work the embossing folders are becoming a must have essential tool like your pasta machine.

I hope that helps.

Thanks Lylacfey for the advice. I did try die cutting with the cuttlebug, but didn't really work. I knew there would potentially be a problem with cleaning the die so put my Fimo between two sheets of aluminium foil. I found a couple of problems -
1. I think my plate combination was wrong, it squished out the fimo.
2. Using the set of plates I that use only for die cutting, the fimo picked up all the lines of my previous cuts.
3. The aluminium foil was hard to remove as again it picked up the impressions of the previous cut lines, so I was having to pick off very small bits of foil.

I think I will have to do some more investigation and experimenting Smile