Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

klingbeil5d1594a52 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:28:46 PM(UTC)
klingbeil5d1594a52

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am wondering my sister found a cricut cake for really cheap and we are wondering is it can be used strictly for scrapping what are the differences in the machines?
 1 user thanked klingbeil5d1594a52 for this useful post.
CarleneC on 7/12/2012(UTC)
BrendaBlomberg Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:36:24 PM(UTC)
BrendaBlomberg

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Yes you can use it for scrapbooking, you will need to buy a replacement blade housing because the blades that come with the cake machine are for cutting fondant. You can find the part on the cricut.com site under replacement parts, hope this helps.
 2 users thanked BrendaBlomberg for this useful post.
klingbeil5d1594a52 on 3/17/2012(UTC), lindsay.hollis on 8/28/2012(UTC)
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:42:38 PM(UTC)
klingbeil5d1594a52

So the only thing different is the blades? the blades can be purchased online only or also at local stores...?
BrendaBlomberg Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:46:35 PM(UTC)
BrendaBlomberg

You will also need to get a new mat, the cake mat will not be sticky, you could buy stick&spray (crafter's companion) at customcrops.com and make the cake mat sticky. I use it all the time on my mats.
BrendaBlomberg Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:51:58 PM(UTC)
BrendaBlomberg

Yes the blade housing is different, You might be able to get it at Hobby Lobby, but I have not seen one in the stores lately, but I know cricut.com has it.
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:59:11 PM(UTC)
klingbeil5d1594a52

So a whole housing not just the blade?
pinkEscrapper Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:29:13 PM(UTC)
pinkEscrapper

United States

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Yes, you have to get a whole new blade housing. Some people say you have to use the deep cutting blade, but I'm not sure.
CrafteerMisadventures Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 2:52:51 PM(UTC)
CrafteerMisadventures

United States

Was thanked: 528 time(s) in 373 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pinkEscrapper Go to Quoted Post
Yes, you have to get a whole new blade housing. Some people say you have to use the deep cutting blade, but I'm not sure.

You don't HAVE to buy the deep blade housing, it's just that for a while, this was the only adjustable depth housing you can buy.

You CAN use the blade AND the blade housing that comes with the cake, the only problem is you can't adjust the height/depth of the blade.

HTH.

Ali
GayleWheaton Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:46:10 AM(UTC)
GayleWheaton

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Yes, the CC machine is a regular Expression or Create machine. The paper blade a**embly is about $30 and then use regular blades. In my CC, I found that the 'plate' in back of my blade was longer or something and it makes it a little more difficult to get the black arm to swing open enough to get the paper blade a**embly in. I also tried the Deep Cut one, and with a Deep Cut blade in it, I wasn't able to load the mat (it would begin to load, but the blade gouged into the top right corner of the mat and wouldn't complete the load OhMyGod Scared)
Have fun with your new machine!!
DeniseGraves Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:10:33 AM(UTC)
DeniseGraves

United States

This thread was helpful. Thanks.

I really like some of the designs on the Cake Cartridges. I was wondering if the Cake Cartridges can be used in the Expression and / or Imagine machines? I would like to use some of the cake designs on my scrapbook pages.

Teresa Turner Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:04:55 PM(UTC)
Teresa Turner

United States

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 114 post(s)
All of the cartridges can be used on all of the machines.
 1 user thanked Teresa Turner for this useful post.
Larkspur on 7/17/2012(UTC)
Littledavis83290e1484 Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:57:01 PM(UTC)
Littledavis83290e1484

So I can use any of my cricut cartridges with my cricut cake to cut out frosting in the characters and stuff?
scrapalette Offline
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 1:23:18 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19164 time(s) in 8571 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Littledavis83290e1484 Go to Quoted Post
So I can use any of my cricut cartridges with my cricut cake to cut out frosting in the characters and stuff?

Yes, any of the regular Cricut carts. . .not the Imagine carts. . .can be used in the Cricut Cake! Woot
CarleneC Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:47:29 PM(UTC)
CarleneC

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I know this post is from months ago, but I found it when research that exact question. My Create is on the fritz, and I really didn't want to spend more than $100 on a new machine. I was lucky enough to find a Cricut Cake today for 99.00. I came here to find out if I could cut paper with it (no plans to do the cake thing at all). I bought it and tried both my deep cut blade and my regular blade in it (not the cake blade....that's still wrapped up!) and they cut paper like a dream. I am thrilled. Red is one of my fave colors anyway.

hwQ
 1 user thanked CarleneC for this useful post.
lindsay.hollis on 8/28/2012(UTC)
Mommy_Nikkiaa6021a0 Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 9:27:40 PM(UTC)
Mommy_Nikkiaa6021a0

BigGrin I'm so happy to hear this. I was coming on here to ask this very question, and very stupid for doing so. I got a Cricut Cake for Christmas, thinking I could make such cool cakes. I wasn't thinking about the taste of fondant. None of my kids liked it.

I was going to try and sell it but not now. My hubby is going to be so excited. LOL I've been asking for another machine and now he doesn't have to buy one.

CarleneC Offline
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:36:09 AM(UTC)
CarleneC

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mommy_Nikkiaa6021a0 Go to Quoted Post
BigGrin I'm so happy to hear this. I was coming on here to ask this very question, and very stupid for doing so. I got a Cricut Cake for Christmas, thinking I could make such cool cakes. I wasn't thinking about the taste of fondant. None of my kids liked it.

I was going to try and sell it but not now. My hubby is going to be so excited. LOL I've been asking for another machine and now he doesn't have to buy one.

I don't like fondant or gum paste either! I only want butter cream on a cake.......but I don't do much cake decorating anyway. I just pipe on a few little swirls now and then.
coupongal340e5a60 Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 8:49:35 AM(UTC)
coupongal340e5a60

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the Cricut community. I have a question about my Cricut Cake machine. I bought it new 2 years ago when they first came out. I paid $300 for the package I got and tried it twice and didn't like the results I received with my fondant. I since then developed arthritis in my hands and can no longer decorate cakes. I hate that such an expensive piece of equipment is just sitting in the box. I have always been a mixed media artist and was wondering how I could convert my cake machine into a paper cutting machine to use in my art? I have read the many posts on here and I want to make sure I've got this right......So all I need is a regular cutting mat, a green blade housing and a deep cut blade housing?

Instead of using the green can I just use what came with the cake machine for regular papers and vellum or will it will that limit the machines ability to adjust the height of the blade?

Also what type of papers does the Deep Cut Blade cut? Is this for material such as vinyl or chipboard, etc....?

I just want a configuration that will give me the least amount of hassel with smooth cutting without a lot of aggrivation. Any help that you all can give me would be appreciated. ThanksBigGrin

Edited by user Monday, November 19, 2012 8:50:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: too many words

Narelle Offline
#18 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:58:00 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Was thanked: 7911 time(s) in 3709 post(s)
Originally Posted by: coupongal340e5a60 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the Cricut community. I have a question about my Cricut Cake machine. I bought it new 2 years ago when they first came out. I paid $300 for the package I got and tried it twice and didn't like the results I received with my fondant. I since then developed arthritis in my hands and can no longer decorate cakes. I hate that such an expensive piece of equipment is just sitting in the box. I have always been a mixed media artist and was wondering how I could convert my cake machine into a paper cutting machine to use in my art? I have read the many posts on here and I want to make sure I've got this right......So all I need is a regular cutting mat, a green blade housing and a deep cut blade housing?

Instead of using the green can I just use what came with the cake machine for regular papers and vellum or will it will that limit the machines ability to adjust the height of the blade?

Also what type of papers does the Deep Cut Blade cut? Is this for material such as vinyl or chipboard, etc....?

I just want a configuration that will give me the least amount of hassel with smooth cutting without a lot of aggrivation. Any help that you all can give me would be appreciated. ThanksBigGrin

All you will need is a regular mat and a regular blade and housing. You can use the cake housing with a regular blade but as mentioned above you won't be able to adjust the depth.

The deep blade is for cutting thicker items such as thicker chipboard. You won't need it for general everyday cutting. You also don't need it to cut vinyl. Vinyl uses lower blade settings so that you don't cut through the backing.

agdrete8979b9d Offline
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:39:29 AM(UTC)
agdrete8979b9d

So, we can use the Cake for paper cutting.

Can we use any of the other models for cake? Assuming you have the right blade that is.
scrapalette Offline
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:34:33 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 19164 time(s) in 8571 post(s)
Originally Posted by: agdrete8979b9d Go to Quoted Post
So, we can use the Cake for paper cutting.

Can we use any of the other models for cake? Assuming you have the right blade that is.

You can, but the other Cricut models are not made of food safe materials and are not made to be cleaned with water.