Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

AnnetteStevens Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:30:10 AM(UTC)
AnnetteStevens

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Ok I am totally new to the Yudo machine and I am just starting to research weather or not I want it... i have been using the Cricut since it came out in fact I own all 3 versions and if I have a day off at least on of them is running...anyway I have been doing a lot of shirts for friends and a home based business and want an easier way than vinyl/painting with my cricut. My question are
1. How many times can you use your transparancies?
2. How long/how many shirts do you get out of a bottle of paint.
3. Whats the cheepest way to go for supplies.
Thats all I can think of at the moment but I am sure there will be more.
Thanks in advance
NET
NewfyMom Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 02, 2012 12:35:13 AM(UTC)
NewfyMom

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 126 post(s)
Hey Net,
the answer is it depends, it depends, it depends. Cool
Transparency are cheap. I use mine once and throw the away. I suppose you could wash them. Ya know how some people wash ziploc bags to save money? I don't. Blushing

How many shirts per bottle totally depends on how much ink you need for your design. The question would be the same for a printer; how many sheets of paper do you get from an ink cartridge? I've had some ink bottles for years. I go through black and white the quickest and you get a reasonable amount from Yudu ink but a lot of us use Jaquard or Speedball.

Cheapest way to get supplies. You will need to read through the forum. There are too many answers and you'll find a lot of us don't post anymore because we just keep answering the same questions over and over. Check out my FAQs there is a lot of info there.

Have Fun!!
watercolordaisy Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:36:08 PM(UTC)
watercolordaisy

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
you can wash writeable transparencies - with a transparancy pen. if you do it in sharpie or permanent marker it won't come off. you also cannot wash off printer ink on the printables. they are designed to be reused (as in teaching the same topic several times in the education field) not to be washed to be reused.

i really do not like yudu ink at all. i don't find it to give good coverage. i love speedball. i can get quite a few projects out of a $10 container.

cheapest way to buy supplies is a little at a time. you can use michaels cupons on all of the supplies just not the machine. I have several screens that i have bought over two years because i go pick one up when i don't need my cupon for something else. same goes for the speedball paints that can be found at hobby lobby. i haven't found a great website to buy supplies cheap - yet - because screenprinters take their craft seriously and believe in using the best supplies available.
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 6:28:23 AM(UTC)
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 12570 time(s) in 5048 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AnnetteStevens Go to Quoted Post
Ok I am totally new to the Yudo machine and I am just starting to research weather or not I want it... i have been using the Cricut since it came out in fact I own all 3 versions and if I have a day off at least on of them is running...anyway I have been doing a lot of shirts for friends and a home based business and want an easier way than vinyl/painting with my cricut. My question are
1. How many times can you use your transparancies?
2. How long/how many shirts do you get out of a bottle of paint.
3. Whats the cheepest way to go for supplies.
Thats all I can think of at the moment but I am sure there will be more.
Thanks in advance
NET

1. You can use transparencies forever... but I am guessing that maybe you mean 'how long can you use the screens (the image burned in the emulsion). I only guess that because that was a mystery to me before I had one too. The answer is: you can use the screen until you want to change it! I have kept an image on a screen (thinking I would use it again for another gift later) for months and it was fine and the emulsion came right off with remover when I was ready to change it. The screens are expensive but liquid emulsion is not so most people keep the transparency with artwork and wash out the screens. NOw if you are using those emulsion sheets, they are NOT cheap!

(If you actually mean 'can you re-use your transparencies,' I guess that depends on the kind of transparency you use and method by which you put your design onto it. For printing on the computer, I use ink-jet transparencies and you cannot re-use those-the surface that allows the ink to stick reacts to liquid so washing them would make them unusable. You can apply a cricut-cut black vinyl design on a transparency like those covers on our cricut mats and you could peel off the vinyl and re-use that kind. Of course, if you are using a black cricut cut, you can just lay the cut on the screen to burn in the image without needing a transparency. I buy my transparencies (the ink-jet type) in bulk from Ryonet and from Office Depot --and I bought some Yudu brand from Joann's when they clearanced them. Get 'em cheap so you don't feel like you need to re-use them. I have found it really helpful to keep the artwork on my transparencies. It is amazing how often someone will ask for a copy of something and it is so handy to have the artwork already done!)

2. I have no idea-- quite a few. I don't usually print lots of shirts at a time. The most I have done is 5 at a time (I think-- maybe 6???-- except for doll t-shirts-- 9 of those) and I had plenty. I also use ink that comes in little tubs as well as paint from Simply Plaid that comes in smaller bottles. It just depends on your design, how good you are at reclaiming the ink, and what size container you are starting with!

3. Here's what I do: I use liquid emulsion. That is the single biggest savings for this hobby! Forget those sheets-- they are expensive, unforgiving, expensive, hard-to-use, expensive, and cost a lot. (Do you get my point?) I buy inks as I need them and I get the Yudu and Simply Plaid with coupons at Joanns and Michaels. I get the Enviroline from Ryonet in little tubs-- they sell a set that is a great price and they are fabulous inks!! I have gotten screens from Joann's with a coupon and from Ryonet. I personally love the Ryonet screens and they are cheaper too. I get my paper towels and blue painters tape from Walmart-- best price in my area (I use TONS of paper towels when I Yudu). I save up my Ryonet supply needs until I am up to $100 so I can get free shipping. (I also buy a year's supply of emusion at a time -since it only lasts 3 months I buy four small containers at a time to help get to my $100). I also use a coupon code (530a) for a modest savings.

For my tips and a list of my sources where I purchase, I have a Yudu page on my blog. I love my Yudu and highly recommend it! Here's a link to my page: http://www.withglitteringeyes.com/p/yudu.html

Edited by user Friday, June 08, 2012 4:15:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified