Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Linda Ajello Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 03, 2012 6:54:22 PM(UTC)
Linda Ajello

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 134 time(s) in 70 post(s)
The students at my daughter's high school have come a long way with the Cricut Expression. These very special, wonderful Special needs students have classes each week in which I try to show them new ways to make cards for upcoming occasions. They have made Christmas items, birthday, get well, graduation, best wishes, and support our troops cards- among other things. The cards are placed in a basket on an "honor" system that allows staff and visitors, etc. to purchase the cards. The money is then used to buy more Cricut mats, papers, blades etc. 9Obviously my generous husband has supplemented these funds, lol. The students in these two groups, like my daughter, Megan, have not been able to be placed in a "work" environment during the school day. Although Megan is the only one in the two groups in a wheelchair, the students all need some extra time to learn new skills. Taking special orders and makign cards is their "work"- for now.
In April, the kids started making cards with Stand and Salute and Everyday Paper Dolls. Using camoflauge duct tape, the kids were able to cut clothes from Paper Dolls and "dress" their characters. The cards were amazing! All the kids in the high school either wrote sentiments or helped make cards. We then collected items for the troops. We took the money the kids had collected from their "sold" cards that month and donated it for postage for the troops. Staten Island Project Homefront seemed so happy with the donations. They were familiar with the student population and so happy with the cards knowing how hard it is for them to complete such an endeavor. The school administration said I can do it again with the kids in the fall! I volunteer teach their two days a week. The kids also love the Cuttlebug and i am trying to figure out a better way to teach them Cricut Craft Room- they were not ready when I last attempted it.
By the way, teachers- to make a child in a wheelchair- I use the Everyday paper dolls- at three inches. Then use the Everyday paper dolls - doctor character- use the accessory button- that is a wheelchair- cut the wheelchair at 4.5 inches. Now cut the legs , then cutting pants in half, place the character in the chair, position cut legs, then cover with pants- also cut- and tape or glue in place. If you see Megan's blog you will see examples. until they put a child in a wheelchair on a regular cut, this allows my daughter to make "herself".
 3 users thanked Linda Ajello for this useful post.
blondolphn on 6/3/2012(UTC), Larmabee on 6/3/2012(UTC), Teresa Turner on 6/4/2012(UTC)
blondolphn Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 03, 2012 8:27:54 PM(UTC)
blondolphn

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5314 time(s) in 959 post(s)
What a great story! I'm glad the kids enjoy the craft time.
 1 user thanked blondolphn for this useful post.
Linda Ajello on 6/4/2012(UTC)
Larkspur Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, June 08, 2012 11:33:31 AM(UTC)
Larkspur

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2460 time(s) in 1719 post(s)
ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
 1 user thanked Larkspur for this useful post.
Linda Ajello on 6/8/2012(UTC)