Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

MsHope2012 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2012 5:44:04 AM(UTC)
MsHope2012

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I wanted to post about the first project I did in my classroom using my Cricut.

Due to some middle school "meanness" and name calling, I decided to buy the How Full is Your Bucket? book. I didn't realize it at the time but I ended up getting the one for preschoolers! I knew some students would not respond to this but I thought it was worth a try. Anyway, I loved the book and felt this was exactly what my homeroom needed. I first read the book only to my homeroom. Because I had a lot of great helpers who LOVED to craft, I enlisted student help to create a bulletin board. I borrowed a cartridge from the teacher next door with a bucket in it (Hmm, something Disney maybe?) I made a 12 X 12 bucket and a bunch of stars and flowers to mimic the designs in the book. Then, we took library pockets and put them on the bulletin board in a large pocket folder. I then cut out all of the students' names and my own using Printing 101. We stapled the names above the pocket. I printed out a bunch of bucket filler note forms like "Dear ----, You filled my bucket today when you.... Signed, ----." Students cut all of these out. Students stapled the board together. I wrote out a bucket filler slip for each kid. I also taped a lollipop to each note to increase interest. Students were then about to get their note and write one to another student. Soon, all my classes wanted to know about the bulletin board was about. I read the book to each class and soon I was hearing, "Don't be a bucket dipped!" and "You just filled my bucket." Students also made a hallway display. Kids loved having their names cut out. I ended up giving these to kids at the end of the year and they all wanted them. I was able to save the file on the Cricut Craft Room.

I wish I had some good pictures of this![img][/img] I will post if I can find them. I would certainly do this project again because though it didn't solve every issue, we all started thinking of how our words affect others. Plus, it was fun to check our pockets and acknowledge "niceness."

My Cricut-ish Blog
 2 users thanked MsHope2012 for this useful post.
Teresa Turner on 6/22/2012(UTC), CrazyHomeCrafter on 6/24/2012(UTC)
SouthernVintage Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2012 8:41:34 AM(UTC)
SouthernVintage

United States

Was thanked: 801 time(s) in 713 post(s)
I would love to see the pics...hope you find them. Sounds like a great activity.
bressetteacres59672752 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:34:18 PM(UTC)
bressetteacres59672752

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
What an excellent idea thanks for sharing
MsHope2012 Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 03, 2012 6:27:21 PM(UTC)
MsHope2012

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 10 post(s)
You're welcome. I do plan to introduce this next year if it is needed. We no longer have a "formal" bullying program but do have a time period where we could do these type of activities. I will also keep posting school ideas on my new blog, Learning Curve. http://learningcurve2012.blogspot.com/

I know I took pictures of this bulletin board. I'll keep looking on my computer files:)

Here are some helpful websites. You can google for all the print outs. Since my students are ms, they were able to help print, cut, and choose which ones we should use. I think that helped with the "buy in" aspect of the program. I'm sure this wouldn't be much of an issue for younger kids.

http://www.bucketfillers101.com/
http://myfunteacher.com/bucketfillers.htm
http://steveandcat.net/m...alker/bucket_fillers.htm