Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

magistra Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:42:06 PM(UTC)
magistra

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi all!
I always have trouble 'visualizing' a room to its completion, so I'm asking experts (you!) for help :)

Right now my little room is a tight. I have a large table, an ugly old filing cabinet for bills etc, and a dark wood bookcase filled with a lot of teaching material I use during school year.

on one of my husband's rare weekends at home, he made and installed a large wood table he made in the room. It butts against 2 walls and I'll problably put a bookshelf or file cabinet under the other side. Right now, there is just a large wooden board holding that side up. I have to locate the "right" thing to be under that end, so I'm not in a rushI painted the desk white and put a clear coat of polyurethene on it, but that top coat turned yellow. I'll just repaint it high gloss white without the clear coat.

Hubby also installed adjustable metal shelving above the desk, so now I have more work area for school, bills, and crafting.

My son offered to paint the room (well, he needs some extra money and I won't have to paint-- win/win).

So, decorators, what colors are your craft rooms? I would like to repaint the walls. Right now they are blue (actually, same color of blue as in bedroom because it was leftover paint). Should I also spray paint the ugly filing cabinet? If so, what should I do?
I could repaint the desk-- any color except black. I have some black furniture in my living room and I hate seeing dust the day after i dusted there!

angieknecht Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 5:14:29 AM(UTC)
angieknecht

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 79 post(s)
I would spray paint the " ulgy" filing cabinet, a lil paint can make anything better, if possible change the hardware on it or at least paint the hardware a different color.I`m a big fan of orange and cricut green those are the colors i try to have in my scraproom.It`s your special spot so id go crazy and paint it your favorite color and then bring in a second color to accent that.You`d be surprised what blank items you can find at dollor stores, add a lil vinyl or maybe some scrapbook paper and other embellishments and you have soemthing very fitting.
Also one of my favorite features of my scrapspace are my bulletin boards.which you can also make more personal with scrap accessoires
emmjdm5210bc2e Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 3:48:40 PM(UTC)
emmjdm5210bc2e

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

My craft room is red on the bottom. The top is 2 colors of tan that we applied with a technique from Home Depot. I don't remember exactly what we did but I know that it involved a garbage bag to apply it. There is wallpaper boarder inbetween the two. My desk it a large shelf in the closet with a fold out piece that makes an L shaped work space when opened up. When it is folded up I just close the closet doors and it looks clean.
I store my supplies in lagre 2 gallon ziplock bags on pants hangers from the closet rod. I would paint the cabinet a netral color to help your room look bigger. As for your school stuff. Take it to school. I am a teacher also and this room needs to be your retreat. I stay at work a little longer or just bring what I must have to write plans home with me and then it goes right back to school. At the beginning of my career I had a lot of stuff at home. Now it is all at school and I am much more productive because my stuff is all in one place. It works for me and this is my 20th year. I hope this helps. If you want me to send you pictures I can. Our cabinets are 2 2 drawer ones that go in the bottom of the hall closet. They are cheaper than a big one and easier to move since I put wheels on them. Who wants to crop with bills looking at them anyway.

My email is emmjdm@aol.com Let me know if you want pictures.

Hope this helps.
Ellen