Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

jenibellb389ba5b Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:52:45 PM(UTC)
jenibellb389ba5b

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello,
2 years ago, I downloaded the Design Studio so I could do custom b-day invitations for my son. After downloading CDS and connecting my machine, it said I needed to update the firmware. So I followed all directions and my Cricut has been frozen ever since. All of the green lights stay on and it won't do anything. So, finally, I tried again. I have tried resetting the machine and update the firmware again. I get through the first update, then it says I need a second. I get through the second update, but the status doesn't change, it still says I need the second update and my machine is still frozen. Any advice?? Should I just call tech support?

Thanks!
Maxluv Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:56:52 PM(UTC)
Maxluv

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 471 time(s) in 360 post(s)
Really 2 years ago? You might be able to call PC tomorrow not sure it's still under warranty, thought most only have a 1 yr warranty.
scamericangirl10f87d71 Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, June 08, 2012 5:24:27 PM(UTC)
scamericangirl10f87d71

Angry
I'm having the same problem, too. I've had the design studio for about two years, too. Now I can do whatever I want on the computer, but the cricut won't cut it. I get the same error message, and the same result when I try to update.

I would be eternally grateful if someone could please post a solution!!
scrapalette Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, June 08, 2012 5:52:40 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 18935 time(s) in 8450 post(s)
Are you turning your Cricut off and putting it back in Update Mode before starting the second update?
arcdeland004ec8d8 Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2012 2:49:10 PM(UTC)
arcdeland004ec8d8

I am having a very similar issue. My Cricut Original is 2 years old. I have used it successfully with cartridges many times. I just found out through a friend about Design Studio and the Craft Room. I went through the firmware update process. My Cricut cut out one item, then stopped midway through the next one. I have gone through multiple resets of the machine, both on my own and through customer support. I have uninstalled the Design Studio and Craft Room several times on my PC as well and attempted to re-install everything and re-do the firmware update.

The problem is when I try to cut a design, the machine will go through the all the design motions, but the blade housing will not go down and cut the paper with the blade. I have changed out the blade, changed out the blade housing, set all the dials to their highest settings, reset the machine again and again. But nothing changes. When the machine is turned off, the black arm that holds the blade housing has the typical "boing, boing, boing" when pressed down and released, but when the machine is turned on, the black arm loses the "boing, boing, boing" and becomes stiff in that when it is pressed down, it only comes up once - with no bounce to it at all.

To make matters worse, I got fed up with this problem and went out and bought a BRAND NEW Mini. I got it all ready and hooked up to my PC and ended up with the same problem with the firmware update. The firmware update would not complete and when I tried to use the Design Studio/Craft Room, the Mini would go through all the design motions, but would not cut. I thought I was back to square one. I took the BRAND NEW Mini back to the store and got exchange to another BRAND NEW Mini. Different problem this time - got everything hooked up, but it would not turn on at all!

The LCD screen says Version 1.34. I don't know if that matters or not.

I have called customer service again to try to get my Original working again. Customer Service said that sometimes when you update the firmware, it makes the machine freeze. Through Customer Service, we reset my Original again without hooking it up to my PC and just using a cartridge. It still doesn't work - goes through the design motions, but will not cut!!

Customer Service said there wasn't anything they could do because the machine is out of warranty. . . even though it was their firmware update that messed up my machine!

I am at my wits end with this.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance for your help!
john.cathyzellerbca91ec6 Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2012 2:35:15 PM(UTC)
john.cathyzellerbca91ec6

I have had my Cricut for 2 years and am (was) quite pleased with it and had no desire to upgrade to the newer ones. Have always stuck with the cartridges. Decided to give the Cricut Craft Room a whirl and of course, my machine needed a firmware upgrade. I have been sitting here (frustrated, for the first time ever since using my Cricut!) for 3 hours because it is now JACKED UP since I tried to upgrade the firmware. I am having the same problem described by everyone else. I'm a pretty tech savvy kinda gal, too and I have thrown in the towel. What a mess.
I should have left well enough alone and stuck with the Cartridges! Not happy with ProvoCraft right now!!! Glare
Narelle Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 01, 2012 4:50:54 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Was thanked: 7813 time(s) in 3647 post(s)
Originally Posted by: john.cathyzellerbca91ec6 Go to Quoted Post
I have had my Cricut for 2 years and am (was) quite pleased with it and had no desire to upgrade to the newer ones. Have always stuck with the cartridges. Decided to give the Cricut Craft Room a whirl and of course, my machine needed a firmware upgrade. I have been sitting here (frustrated, for the first time ever since using my Cricut!) for 3 hours because it is now JACKED UP since I tried to upgrade the firmware. I am having the same problem described by everyone else. I'm a pretty tech savvy kinda gal, too and I have thrown in the towel. What a mess.
I should have left well enough alone and stuck with the Cartridges! Not happy with ProvoCraft right now!!! Glare

You can backdate the firmware on your Personal by using the trial version of Design Studio. Link here: http://www.cricut.com/cds/Update.aspx

Click the first download button on that page to download the program. Once you have it installed and open, select the Help menu and select Update Cricut Firmware.

Make sure your Cricut is off before you start the firmware update and make sure you select the Personal as the machine to be updated.

Follow the instructions carefully and when/if you are prompted to do a second update make sure you power the Cricut off again before you put it back into update mode.
jgescamillae33e1610 Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 09, 2013 10:00:18 PM(UTC)
jgescamillae33e1610

I am having the same problem and the previous post only repeats the instructions that caused this problem int he first place. Does anyone at PC know or care about what's happening with these machines?
shawnpeperae3720825 Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:31:47 AM(UTC)
shawnpeperae3720825

Originally Posted by: arcdeland004ec8d8 Go to Quoted Post
I am having a very similar issue. My Cricut Original is 2 years old. I have used it successfully with cartridges many times. I just found out through a friend about Design Studio and the Craft Room. I went through the firmware update process. My Cricut cut out one item, then stopped midway through the next one. I have gone through multiple resets of the machine, both on my own and through customer support. I have uninstalled the Design Studio and Craft Room several times on my PC as well and attempted to re-install everything and re-do the firmware update.

The problem is when I try to cut a design, the machine will go through the all the design motions, but the blade housing will not go down and cut the paper with the blade. I have changed out the blade, changed out the blade housing, set all the dials to their highest settings, reset the machine again and again. But nothing changes. When the machine is turned off, the black arm that holds the blade housing has the typical "boing, boing, boing" when pressed down and released, but when the machine is turned on, the black arm loses the "boing, boing, boing" and becomes stiff in that when it is pressed down, it only comes up once - with no bounce to it at all.

To make matters worse, I got fed up with this problem and went out and bought a BRAND NEW Mini. I got it all ready and hooked up to my PC and ended up with the same problem with the firmware update. The firmware update would not complete and when I tried to use the Design Studio/Craft Room, the Mini would go through all the design motions, but would not cut. I thought I was back to square one. I took the BRAND NEW Mini back to the store and got exchange to another BRAND NEW Mini. Different problem this time - got everything hooked up, but it would not turn on at all!

The LCD screen says Version 1.34. I don't know if that matters or not.

I have called customer service again to try to get my Original working again. Customer Service said that sometimes when you update the firmware, it makes the machine freeze. Through Customer Service, we reset my Original again without hooking it up to my PC and just using a cartridge. It still doesn't work - goes through the design motions, but will not cut!!

Customer Service said there wasn't anything they could do because the machine is out of warranty. . . even though it was their firmware update that messed up my machine!

I am at my wits end with this.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance for your help!

SAME HERE!!! Had my cricut for 6 years! Got it when it 1st came out... decided to try CR and did the firmware update... NOW WONT CUT WHOLE WAY THROUGH. I am SOOOOOO Upset. I has version 1 on it... I want 2.34 OFF and 1 back!!! Please keep me posted if you get help!
Narelle Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:47:58 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Originally Posted by: shawnpeperae3720825 Go to Quoted Post
SAME HERE!!! Had my cricut for 6 years! Got it when it 1st came out... decided to try CR and did the firmware update... NOW WONT CUT WHOLE WAY THROUGH. I am SOOOOOO Upset. I has version 1 on it... I want 2.34 OFF and 1 back!!! Please keep me posted if you get help!

Which Cricut are you using? If it's the Personal your firmware mode can be set back to 1.34 using the trial version of Cricut Design Studio. You can download that from here: http://mirror.cricut.com/cds/fontpack/CDS_10404220.exe

Once DS is installed go to the Help menu and select Update Cricut Firmware. Make sure you select the Personal as the machine to be updated.

The same applies to the Create and the Expression. Just make sure you select the correct machine otherwise the wrong firmware will be installed.

DS is will set the Create firmware to 1.54 and the Expression firmware to 2.34.
kahlusha0216457b Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 02, 2013 1:28:20 PM(UTC)
kahlusha0216457b

Mad Same issue here. Except I was running fine and cutting with Craft Room a week or two ago on v1.3 ... craft room just updated me to 1.45 and now Craft Room will not work.

I tried using design studio to revert my firmware version, but it's stuck at v1.45. Reset does not seem to do anything (i've gone through the very annoying steps several times).

Any tips? Anything I could be missing?

I am choked.Huh
TeresaGreene Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 02, 2013 1:47:08 PM(UTC)
TeresaGreene

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Earlier this spring, I stepped up to the Expression machine and gave my Personal Cricut to my DIL. She had the same experience you are having. I introduced her to Craft Room and all was well until a couple of weeks ago. We contacted Customer Service and they had us reinstall the drivers. It didn't work. I started reading all I could find on the MB on the subject, and we tried it all. We called Customer Service again, and they tried several things as well. Our case was turned over to one of their lead technicians and the final verdict was that the original Personal Cricut technology won't work with the latest Craft Room upgrade. I was holding on to my Design Studio software (not the download) just in case. I uninstalled it, and gave it to my DIL today. I hope it works. She just wants to be able to weld words, which is the reason I purchased DS in the first place. I hope things work out better for you, but if not, I feel your pain!
shawnessyhilldc855ce9 Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, August 09, 2013 7:14:04 AM(UTC)
shawnessyhilldc855ce9

I am having the same issue. I have tried completely uninstalling craft room and reinstalling it to see if maybe the program did not install correctly. I have version 1 on my cricut and it is now stuck in update mode. My machine was given to me as a gift about a month ago. I cut out three things and decided to try out cricut craft room only to have my machine go into update mode and cant seem to get it out. I have spoken with three people from cricut with different things to try and none of them have worked. They told me if I can show proof of purchase they may be able to help, but it was a gift and the person who bought it for me no longer has the receipt. So I am no stuck with a machine that I can't use becuase I tried to use thier software!!!!!! I am soo frustrated right now! Any help would be greatly apprectiated. I just want to be able to use this machine I was so excited to get!! Mad
BJR Offline
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:58:45 AM(UTC)
BJR

Was thanked: 446 time(s) in 327 post(s)
I suggest posting on the main chat maybe someone can help you. BJR.
kelsobrooksd0b5789c Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, December 02, 2013 7:29:55 PM(UTC)
kelsobrooksd0b5789c

NARELLE said -
Quote:
You can backdate the firmware on your Personal by using the trial version of Design Studio. Link here: http://www.cricut.com/cds/Update.aspx

Click the first download button on that page to download the program. Once you have it installed and open, select the Help menu and select Update Cricut Firmware.

Make sure your Cricut is off before you start the firmware update and make sure you select the Personal as the machine to be updated.

Follow the instructions carefully and when/if you are prompted to do a second update make sure you power the Cricut off again before you put it back into update mode.

I did this and I was able to get my wife's Cricut out of Update Mode and into version 1.34...However now the online design studio doesn't work.Confused

Thanks Narelle! Your information saved my butt :-)

KB
stigerdana33fea02c Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, February 02, 2014 7:28:57 AM(UTC)
stigerdana33fea02c

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I am having the same issue!! I uninstalled CCR and downloaded CDS from the link above. I went help in CDS and selected "Update my firmware". It goes through the update process, and says it was successful, but my Cricut Personal is still showing that it is running on V1.45. :( I even tried resetting it by pushing the little red button and tuning the wheels three times, but this did not work either. I have tried re-installing CDS and resetting several times now! I am at my wits end! Please help......
candygirl816d3c74057 Offline
#17 Posted : Sunday, February 09, 2014 10:06:03 AM(UTC)
candygirl816d3c74057

I'm having same issues...I tried to install Craft Room and needed to update firmware. CCRBridge stopped working, everything froze. Tried to install backdated firmware as listed in earlier post, that didn't work. Personal Cricut not working at all. Technology is only good if it works. I was content working with the cartridges, just wanted to try something new. Now I can't make anything. This is very frustrating. Forget the new stuff, just give me back my Cricut!
visitmysitenowbad613f9 Offline
#18 Posted : Sunday, February 09, 2014 5:22:19 PM(UTC)
visitmysitenowbad613f9

After over 16 hours in update modeAngry , unsuccessfully trying to update, I found this solution that worked (for me)!BigGrin It only took about 20 minutes for the actual update on my machine. Whew! I found instructions in a post here: http://www.whatdoyudu.co...tuck-in-update-mode.aspx
Quoted instructions are below:

"We appreciate your patience as we resolve these issues. We have now released an update to the Cricut Craft Room program that should make the program compatible with the Windows 8.1 operating system. This fixes issues like:

-Getting Stuck on Initializing/Accessing Account when trying to log in.
-Not being able to complete Firmware updates.
-Loaded mat not being recognized/Checking Mat Status
-Issues linking Cricut cartridges to the Craft Room.

To complete this update process, you will need to visit ___________ You will then see the screen pictured below, select the green bar that says 8.1 Update for PC or you can install the update from http://craftroom.cricut....cricut-craftroom_185.exe as well. This will install the most current build of the Cricut Craft Room program (Build 185)."

I have a new Cricut Expression and Windows 8.1.
candygirl816d3c74057 Offline
#19 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 6:55:42 PM(UTC)
candygirl816d3c74057

I was finally able to reinstall firmware, using Design Studio trial version; took about 7 minutes. Cricut is working again with the cartridges, which is fine by me. I'm not interested in Craft Room right now; I've had enough already!
AnnaGlanz Offline
#20 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:06:51 PM(UTC)
AnnaGlanz

Angry Bought my personal cutting machine 6+ years ago. Bought the Design Studio over 2 years ago, loved it! Bought a Jukebox so I didn't have only use one cartridge at a time, loved it. New CraftRoom blew up everything! Can't get my machine to do anything!! I'm so ticked off! Spent over 8 hours trying to update. Debating if I should uninstall everything then start over, but really upset that ProvoCraft would offer FREE software after I PURCHASED basically the same thing, and I like the DesignStudio better than the CraftRoom. I understand they won't provide support for Design Studio anymore?? But it worked, GREAT!! How do you reset your machine? I couldn't find my manual (anyone read that anyway?) Thanks for any help! I'm super frustrated!! I hadn't scrapbooked for a while (catching up on quilts) and wanted to get everything put together and cut so I got ahead again. Now I'm frustratedMad
Narelle Offline
#21 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:09:59 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Originally Posted by: AnnaGlanz Go to Quoted Post
Angry Bought my personal cutting machine 6+ years ago. Bought the Design Studio over 2 years ago, loved it! Bought a Jukebox so I didn't have only use one cartridge at a time, loved it. New CraftRoom blew up everything! Can't get my machine to do anything!! I'm so ticked off! Spent over 8 hours trying to update. Debating if I should uninstall everything then start over, but really upset that ProvoCraft would offer FREE software after I PURCHASED basically the same thing, and I like the DesignStudio better than the CraftRoom. I understand they won't provide support for Design Studio anymore?? But it worked, GREAT!! How do you reset your machine? I couldn't find my manual (anyone read that anyway?) Thanks for any help! I'm super frustrated!! I hadn't scrapbooked for a while (catching up on quilts) and wanted to get everything put together and cut so I got ahead again. Now I'm frustratedMad

Can you try using Design Studio to do the Firmware update again? If you don't have the latest version of DS you can download it here: http://main.cricut.com/home/sup...esignstudio-reg-support/

You'll find the reset instructions here if you want to try that: http://thenon-craftycrafter.blo.../reset-instructions.html
 1 user thanked Narelle for this useful post.
AnnaGlanz on 3/29/2014(UTC)
AnnaGlanz Offline
#22 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 9:45:44 AM(UTC)
AnnaGlanz

I did, I upgraded it several times, it's now on 1.45, which is the update for my machine. I also reset my machine, which is how I got Craftroom to work. Can you intermingle between the two? I think that may be my problem. I have to choose one and stick with it, which stinks because I have all my work on Design Studio and I really like that software!! Any other ideas to get it to work? I've closed out CraftRoom, restarted Design Studio and still no cutting!
hdb24684d732ee9 Offline
#23 Posted : Thursday, June 05, 2014 6:56:14 PM(UTC)
hdb24684d732ee9

Angry So I am having major issues with my Cricut. I bought it 3 years ago, had no problems with it. I tried to download the cricut craft and it would not complete. So I gave up, went to use it today and I could not get the thing to even turn on. the lights are all on, but no screen. Contacted customer service and they said that I needed to get the design studio. Went through all of the trouble to download this studio and was able to make the first update, but then it said I needed a second. The issue is that the second will not update, it gets to 99% complete and it will not go any further. At the bottom of the page it says I still need a second update. I have tried to reset it and used every possible way to fix the issue, but nothing. I can not use a cricut, do not have the money to buy a new one and need it for birthday parties. I am a little upset about the whole situations. You would have thought since there are so many complaints about the same issue, they would do something about it. The other bad thing, is that I was told that if I did not update the cricut then it would start messing up. Well let me tell you that I did try to update with your software and it screwed up my machine. I paid a lot of money for this machine and even though it is out of warranty, as they say, their program was the one that messed it up and in order to keep our cricut running we have to use the program, any one else see the issue with this. I sounds like to me, that cricut is forcing us to buy a new one because their firmware (that we have to have) messed it up.
scrapalette Offline
#24 Posted : Thursday, June 05, 2014 7:15:36 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 18935 time(s) in 8450 post(s)
Sorry for your troubles, but if you have the original Cricut, the technology in it is 8+ years old {even though you didn't buy it that long ago ~ that model is all the plans from the 2006 release}.

As far as your firmware update, it sounds like you aren't putting your Cricut back into update mode before trying the second pass.

Good luck!
Cricut Tamara Offline
#25 Posted : Thursday, June 05, 2014 7:32:02 PM(UTC)
Cricut Tamara

Groups: Circle Moderator, Cricut Community Moderator, Registered

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hdb24684d732ee9 Go to Quoted Post
Angry So I am having major issues with my Cricut. I bought it 3 years ago, had no problems with it. I tried to download the cricut craft and it would not complete. So I gave up, went to use it today and I could not get the thing to even turn on. the lights are all on, but no screen. Contacted customer service and they said that I needed to get the design studio. Went through all of the trouble to download this studio and was able to make the first update, but then it said I needed a second. The issue is that the second will not update, it gets to 99% complete and it will not go any further. At the bottom of the page it says I still need a second update. I have tried to reset it and used every possible way to fix the issue, but nothing. I can not use a cricut, do not have the money to buy a new one and need it for birthday parties. I am a little upset about the whole situations. You would have thought since there are so many complaints about the same issue, they would do something about it. The other bad thing, is that I was told that if I did not update the cricut then it would start messing up. Well let me tell you that I did try to update with your software and it screwed up my machine. I paid a lot of money for this machine and even though it is out of warranty, as they say, their program was the one that messed it up and in order to keep our cricut running we have to use the program, any one else see the issue with this. I sounds like to me, that cricut is forcing us to buy a new one because their firmware (that we have to have) messed it up.

Hello- Try running the update one more time through Cricut Design Studio. When you run the update, make sure that you do not have a cartridge in the machine. Also, make sure that your machine is in recovery mode (holding down the stop and power button at the same time)for the second pass of the firmware. This should help to complete the update on this machine. If your screen is still not responding, it might be time to look into purchasing a new machine. :(

Cricut Tamara