Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

MissMyCrome Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2012 5:11:41 PM(UTC)
MissMyCrome

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
hello all!

I previously learned to knit from someone who had the patience to sit down with me for quite awhile but not having done it in a couple of years I have completely forgotten :( I really want to start knitting again and was thinking about getting something Knifty Knitter but didn't know where to start. I am very knitting challenged (my creations before were very "holey" lol) does anyone have suggestions for something for a beginner?
asharoonie Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:49:53 PM(UTC)
asharoonie

Canada

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Try putting a search into youtube! I bought a book to try to learn to crochet, and then found that youtube is much better. It gives a visual and there are tons of examples. I can only do very basic (and kind of crappy) crochet because I haven't practiced enough.

Also try the Ravelry site. You have to set up a free account, but there are lots of free beginner knitting and crochet patterns.

Ravelry.com
Plumspeedi Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 5:20:03 AM(UTC)
Plumspeedi

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I agree about youtube. I am a lefty and always wanted to crochet and knit but had long given that up because I didn't have a source to teach me. When I found the knifty knitter I was estatic. However, you can only make so many scarves and hats and well, piecing together an afghan didn't sound good to me. I found a book that said I could learn to crochet even though I am left handed. In the beginning I had to go to youtube to learn the basic stitches, but now I can follow books and patterns (for the most part) on my own. My niece wanted to learn to knit so I decided to learn so that I could teach her. I learned the cast on, and the knit stitch but gave it up because it was so frustrating and for some reason I have not been able to find any one on the internet that has good enough videos to help me. After trying knitting I went back to the knifty knitter and I will focus on learning what is out there for it. With the knifty knitter my stitches are like they should be. With knitting I never got beyond knitting a little swatch.
Di&Co Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 5:40:20 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Canada

Was thanked: 22609 time(s) in 5487 post(s)
You can't beat Youtube for the videos on knitting. Somewhere on this forum, I've posted links to some really good Youtube videos for knitting with looms. I've also got them posted on my blog. I haven't knitted much this summer, but I'm gearing up for the winter and have bought all of my yarn for a new afghan project.

I have tried to knit with needles but could never get the hang of the tention, so I tried the KK looms and haven't looked back since.

By the way, welcome to the KK board!
MissMyCrome Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 7:31:34 AM(UTC)
MissMyCrome

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Thankyou very much! I will definitely check out youtube and I have a 50% off coupon at Joann's so I might just buy one today. I'll have a really hard time picking what yarn to use lol
Di&Co Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 2:59:10 PM(UTC)
Di&Co

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Canada

Was thanked: 22609 time(s) in 5487 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MissMyCrome Go to Quoted Post
Thankyou very much! I will definitely check out youtube and I have a 50% off coupon at Joann's so I might just buy one today. I'll have a really hard time picking what yarn to use lol

Cant wait to see what you create! For me, we are still in the 90s here so Im not too into knitting yet. Once the garden is all in, then Im there! BigGrin
JackieMinick Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:00:23 PM(UTC)
JackieMinick

I agree about youtube! Hubby and I learned how to fix the timing on my sewing machine! It would have cost $50.00.
I don't have any account though...I just go on and watch. The only thing you need an account for is to post comments or ask questions.
ottergirl Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:24:47 AM(UTC)
ottergirl

Was thanked: 175 time(s) in 142 post(s)
[quote=Plumspeedi;1521273]I agree about youtube. I am a lefty and always wanted to crochet and knit but had long given that up because I didn't have a source to teach me. When I found the knifty knitter I was estatic. I found a book that said I could learn to crochet even though I am left handed.

I too am a lefty. I learned to knit as a kid by watching my mother in the mirror. That's how I taught my 3 daughters to knit as well as other things as they are all right-handed. Go figure...not one lefty in the bunch Flapper I did get one left-handed grandson tho. All of the other grandkids are "righties" Crying

Edited by user Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:25:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sian Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 8:11:21 PM(UTC)
sian

look for

goodknit kisses on youtube
she great

she the one i learnt from and sue loom is good she laught at herself when she mess up
and ive learned to do socks from her

your right you tube is good i have the goodknit app on my iphone and ipad this is an offical
app for goodknit kisses

also check out the crochet crowd im sure theres a baby's hat , bootie and blanket on there

best way do is do a combination of book and youtube

best of luck hun xx