Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

corwincle70c08fca Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:26:05 PM(UTC)
corwincle70c08fca

Groups: Registered

Sad I have cut using only cartridges with my Create for a year. I tried to download Cricut Craft Room. I followed instructions but it said "Design Mode Only" and wouldn't cut. Next I could not close the page out (on my laptop) and had to have a computer tech solve that. Now my Cricut Create will not work with a cartridge. The LED says "Insert a cartridge, use Gypsy or Design Studio". When I insert a cartridge nothing works. No dials, buttons, nothing. Is there any way to just undo the entire process and go back to using my cartridges? I rely on this machine for simple cuts on a daily basis and really need this resolved. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
CarleneC Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:52:37 PM(UTC)
CarleneC

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Check your Cricut version. Does it say Version 1.61? If so, you need to download the free trial version of Design Studio and set your version back to 1.54. This is a software glitch and you are not alone. Many of us have had problems with the Create. See some of the other posts in this forum for more info. Hope this helps!
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 01, 2012 12:23:34 PM(UTC)
corwincle70c08fca

Thank you so much for your willingness to help me. I am so distraught I barely slept. (Old worry wart!)

I'm beginning to think that I need to do the firmware update again. It has always read V 1.61. I do have a friend who is smarter than me coming over to help. I will share your ideas with him as I really have no idea how to go about changing versions. Keep your fingers crossed please!

And thank you again. :-)

CarleneC Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 01, 2012 2:40:16 PM(UTC)
CarleneC

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: corwincle70c08fca Go to Quoted Post
Thank you so much for your willingness to help me. I am so distraught I barely slept. (Old worry wart!)

I'm beginning to think that I need to do the firmware update again. It has always read V 1.61. I do have a friend who is smarter than me coming over to help. I will share your ideas with him as I really have no idea how to go about changing versions. Keep your fingers crossed please!

And thank you again. :-)

If you can't figure it out, call CS. They helped me get mine running again. Mine still won't play nice with my Gypsy, but I got myself an Expression, so I'm all good now. The Create works with the carts since CS helped me. I'm sending it to my sister's house to live and I'm telling her to stay away from updates until further notice. Hope you get it up and running again. I know exactly how you feel......
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 02, 2012 7:02:16 PM(UTC)
corwincle70c08fca

BigGrin

Thankfully my Create is back up and running again. Just for future reference, the problem I was having was solved by downloading and installing Design Studio just as Charlene suggested. I thank you and I'm happily off to cut something.
theresa_scheible57960795 Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2012 9:30:57 PM(UTC)
theresa_scheible57960795

Yeah mine is doing the same thing I have v1.61. It wont do a dang thing. It is so frustrating.
ladywing Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 7:06:37 AM(UTC)
ladywing

frustrating isn't the word. My Cricut is now an expensive boat anchor with CCR and 1.61. It is *IMPOSSIBLE* to find downloads on the Cricut website for any updates or downloads. Downloads should be a separate category under support - especially considering the existing issues with v1.61. This seriously makes me think that it is time to move to a Cameo.
Narelle Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 7:34:36 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7902 time(s) in 3704 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ladywing Go to Quoted Post
frustrating isn't the word. My Cricut is now an expensive boat anchor with CCR and 1.61. It is *IMPOSSIBLE* to find downloads on the Cricut website for any updates or downloads. Downloads should be a separate category under support - especially considering the existing issues with v1.61. This seriously makes me think that it is time to move to a Cameo.

You'll find the link to DS here: http://www.cricut.com/forum/cri...sign-Studio-Updates.aspx

You only need to do the first download in that thread.

You'll find the firmware update option in the Help menu once DS is installed.
 1 user thanked Narelle for this useful post.
ladywing on 8/27/2012(UTC)
ladywing Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 7:56:31 AM(UTC)
ladywing

unfortunately, DS is not Mac friendly.
sewnmachine Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 7:19:40 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 352 time(s) in 236 post(s)
Ok, This is gonna sound stupid - but how do I connect my Create directly to my computer? I updated the Create to 1.61 via my gypsy. And of course now the Create won't recognize cartridges. But it will cut with my gypsy.
I don't want to mess with anything via my Gypsy.
So, I downloaded Design Studio, and went to plug the Create in - only to discover I only have a cord with the micro usb one end, and the standard usb on the other end.
And the Create does not have a micro usb slot.
What am I missing?

sewnmachine Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:33:33 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Never mind. All I needed was a printer cable. Geez.....life would be so much easier if I a brain.
sewnmachine Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:04:01 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

YIPPEE!!!!!! My Create is back to build 1.54 and IT WORKS with cartridges now! I am putting a sticky note on it to remind me to never ever update it.
carolinavillb59e4243 Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 8:48:27 PM(UTC)
carolinavillb59e4243

Originally Posted by: sewnmachine Go to Quoted Post
YIPPEE!!!!!! My Create is back to build 1.54 and IT WORKS with cartridges now! I am putting a sticky note on it to remind me to never ever update it.

How did you do it!?!?!? please help!
JennYorkshire Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:43:57 AM(UTC)
JennYorkshire

United Kingdom

I had the same problem with my first Cricut Original/Personal. I downloaded the Firmware to and it completely fried my machine. I ended up having to send it back to Create and Craft and order another one. I am now very wary. I have downloaded Craft Room to my laptop, but have not yet had the courage to connect my Cricut machine and use it.
gertrude306486839 Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:10:03 AM(UTC)
gertrude306486839

I have been having all the same problems. Did as you suggested and machine now working correctly. Thanks to all for this info... good old internet. I'm in UK.
elfbeans41348303 Offline
#16 Posted : Saturday, March 02, 2013 7:03:26 PM(UTC)
elfbeans41348303

I have downloaded and installed DS tria; version.
I too have not been able to use my Cricut Create Ver. 1.61
Please tell me how to use DS to get back to the 1.5* version firmware?
Thank you!
Cricut Dani Offline
#17 Posted : Saturday, March 02, 2013 7:40:01 PM(UTC)
Cricut Dani

Groups: Registered, Circle Member, Circle Moderator, Cricut Community Moderator

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: elfbeans41348303 Go to Quoted Post
I have downloaded and installed DS tria; version.
I too have not been able to use my Cricut Create Ver. 1.61
Please tell me how to use DS to get back to the 1.5* version firmware?
Thank you!

Here are some steps to update your firmware:

#1 You will want to first make sure that you have the latest version of the Design Studio installed on your computer. If this is your first time using Cricut Design Studio we would like to recommend just clicking on the link below. If you have previously installed the program on your computer we would like to recommend uninstalling the program and then clicking on the link where you will follow those steps.

click download http://mirror.cricut.com...ontpack/CDS_10404220.exe

#2 Once this completes make sure you are not connecting the Cricut machine to your computer through a USB hub. Also, if you are connecting to a desktop, it is recommended that you use the ports in the back of the machine.

#3 In Design Studio go to the Help menu, then Update Cricut Firmware. Make sure you follow all directions listed on this dialog. This will normally take 7 to 10 minutes, if it is completing immediately this is a sign of a communication problem.

#4 At this point it may prompt for a second firmware update. You need to turn off the Cricut. Then make sure that the machine is back in firmware mode (feature keys will be lit up). Then click to begin updating for the second update.

#5 Note the result shown on your screen when the firmware update completes. It should read "Update Successful" but it might say "Update Failed". If it says "Update Failed" this means that you will need to redo the process.

If you are still experiencing issues with updating your firmware, we would recommend calling the number below where a representative will be happy to assist you.

1-877-7CRICUT

-CRICUT DANI
sewnmachine Offline
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:26:11 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

I just updated my Create to build 1.65. It now works perfectly with cartridges, CCR and my Gypsy.
It was build 1.61 that screwed everything up. But build 1.65 fixes those issues.

All I know is, it works now with everything.
Rachelsmum Offline
#19 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:50:09 PM(UTC)
Rachelsmum

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sewnmachine Go to Quoted Post
I just updated my Create to build 1.65. It now works perfectly with cartridges, CCR and my Gypsy.
It was build 1.61 that screwed everything up. But build 1.65 fixes those issues.

All I know is, it works now with everything.

Where did you find 1.65? Was it a choice when you hooked up your Create?
xsue

Edited by user Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:51:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scrapalette Offline
#20 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:32:45 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19134 time(s) in 8556 post(s)
Follow Cricut Dani's instructions and link in the post above sewnmachine's.