Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

barbmeekerab5e37e9 Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:52:19 PM(UTC)
barbmeekerab5e37e9

Groups: Registered

This is my first time and the emulsion is not sticking to the screen! I have left it in for more than 20 minutes now and it doesn't look right? Help!
fourspdta7732b7e954 Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:36:15 AM(UTC)
fourspdta7732b7e954

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I had the same issue last night while trying it for the first time,,,,any suggestions anyone?
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:08:25 PM(UTC)
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 12577 time(s) in 5050 post(s)
First of all the sheets are really hard to use and it is hard the first time you use them on a new screen.

Having said that, be sure your screen is completely saturated with water. I used to wet the emulusion sheet-- be careful, it will drip and get everywhere. Then kind of fold it and place it on the center of the screen and spread it out to the edges. Look for white spots (areas where there are air pockets) and smooth them away.

I have a picture of this on my blog's Yudu page -- it is the first picture. http://www.withglitteringeyes.com/p/yudu.html There are also lots of tips there.

The other thing-- unless your design is really big, cut your second sheet in half so you will have 2x the tries to get it right.

The sheet type of emulsion is really hard to use. I prefer the liquid kind. It is so much easier and most Yudu-ers on this board like it better. Don't give up!

Hope that helps!
 1 user thanked Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com for this useful post.
fourspdta7732b7e954 on 9/18/2012(UTC)
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:57:56 PM(UTC)
fourspdta7732b7e954

Trying it again tonight,another $20 + more emulsion remover,,,,kinda aggravating.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:16:33 PM(UTC)
fourspdta7732b7e954

Well getting closer,,,I got the emulsion to stick and got the image burned and all was looking good until I started to rinse and the emulsion bubbled up and started running....guessing it was not dry enough....last sheet of emulsion to try,,,next step if this does not work..IRON ON LETTERS and sell this thing!!!
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:40:55 PM(UTC)
fourspdta7732b7e954

And while I am waiting on this last sheet of emulsion to dry,,the trick of wetting the sheet itself really worked well.
 1 user thanked fourspdta7732b7e954 for this useful post.
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:00:17 PM(UTC)
fourspdta7732b7e954

Worked out pretty well,,,had to buy new emulsion sheets,,apparently mine dried out,,so I bought new emulsion remover and sheets and white paint..it takes a while to get it right.
Also make sure the emulsion sheet is completly dry before peeling the clear cover off then run the design under a slow trickle of cold water to remove the image after you have burned it...all in all not too bad once I got the hang of it.
I only had one shirt have a run on one of the letters because I think I was not holding the screen top down enough as I was pulling the ink.

Cool
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:47:17 AM(UTC)

United States

It is definitely a skill to learn!

Seriously though, think about the direct emulsion--- that is the liquid kind I mentioned. You get 30 screens out of a pint of that stuff and it is less than $20. Makes a big difference!!!! (For me, it meant that I could afford to do play and try stuff. If I had to buy those sheets, I would have gone broke. Plus--- it works every time!)
 1 user thanked Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com for this useful post.
fourspdta7732b7e954 on 9/20/2012(UTC)
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:10:01 PM(UTC)
fourspdta7732b7e954

Thanks again Nadia,,,I just got off the phone with www.silkscreeningsupplies.com and got my list together for my order.I also told them (Megan with customer service) that you referred me to them and I know from my industry (automotive) that word of mouth advertising can go a long way,way more than any other advertising.

I have on my list:

2" x 36 blue tape
Pint of emulsion
10" screen coater
screen stand
envirosolv ink cleaner
er80 emulsion remover

can you think of anything else helpful?

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:51:00 PM(UTC)

United States

Originally Posted by: fourspdta7732b7e954 Go to Quoted Post

I have on my list:

2" x 36 blue tape
Pint of emulsion
10" screen coater
screen stand
envirosolv ink cleaner
er80 emulsion remover

can you think of anything else helpful?

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Well, when I ordered my emulsion remover, it came with scrubbers. (I bought as part of a bundle). You don't have to buy the scrubbers from them --I am not even sure if you can buy them outside of the bundle-- but get them! They make removing the emulsion much easier. They are blue and have handles. Here's a link so you can see them, but just ask if you can buy them individually: http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/CCKITSWB-Y

Also-- not to buy from them, but pick up a hair dryer. I use an old blow dryer that I donated to my craft room. You need one with a 'cool' button. It makes drying wet screens and emulsion-covered screens soooooo fast. (Dry within a couple of minutes!) You can let that drying chamber under your Yudu become a light-proof holding area instead of a drying chamber -- which is actually handy! (Dry as a bone is the required amount of dryness before you can burn in your design!!)

I have never had to use the ink cleaner to get rid of dried on ink-- I never let the ink dry on the screen, but I did try to use it for ghosting and it didn't work. I don't know if I would recommend it, but that's my experience for what it is worth.

But thumbs up on the emulsion remover, screen stand, scoop coater, and pint of emulsion.

(I do find the blue tape is cheaper at Walmart if there is one in your neck of the woods. It is in the paint department-- same thing you use to tape off woodwork when you are painting a room. 1" or 2" works fine).

530a for 5% off. Best wishes!!! Don't forget to watch the video on their site on how to apply the emulsion. Listen for a 'zip' sound to know you have it on right. The first time, I put it on too thick, but I re-watched the vid and remembered to listen for a 'zip' sound. Perfect every single time! You will really start to LOVE your Yudu once you get past the emulsion!

Oh! The other thing I use is the Squeegee Pro. If you don't have one, might look into that. Here's a link on the Cricut site: http://www.cricut.com/Shopping/...ee-Premium-218-1240.aspx. They sell their own version at Ryonet, but I have never used a big one from them and I didn't like the little one I got from them for my Yudu Cardshop. The rubber edge on the Squeegee Pro makes a BIG difference in pulling the ink. The one that comes with the Yudu is not too good-- but I use it for clean up sometimes.

Gee... have I spent all your money yet?