Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Maple_Mom Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 11:15:06 AM(UTC)
Maple_Mom

Groups: Registered
Canada

Ok... getting FRUSTRATED!!!

I've had my Cricut Expressions for over a year. (Bought used.) Sadly, after buying it I never used it.. until recently.

I'm trying to cut out vinyl letters for our store window. The mat that came with my Expressions was a VERY old 12x12, so I bought a new 12x24. It's SO sticky that I can't peel the vinyl off of the mat. When I try the backing sticks so badly that it rips, then creases and even tears the vinyl. I'm getting SO mad... have already ruined 2 12x24 sheets of vinyl and frankly they're NOT cheap! (Especially since I live on a small island and have to take the ferry across to where there is a craft store, or I have to order everything online.)

Is there any tips for getting the super-stickness gone? I just don't want it to become totally unsticky as then the paper or vinyl will shift while it's cutting. (I remember that from my old original cricut.)

I've searched the forum but can't find an answer. I'm trying to do these letters today while I'm in my store... so any sort of advice/ideas ASAP would be REALLY appreciated!

Thanks all!
Mommer Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 12:38:31 PM(UTC)
Mommer

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi

I hope this helps you and sounds strange but to make the mat not so sticky is either to put your hands all over the mat and the oils from your hands help make the mat not as sticky or You can use another other piece of paper (not the vinyl) and you put it on and take off many, many times. or you can use a t shirt to condition the mat but doing the same steps as above. It doesn't take that long but it will help reduce the frustration you are feeling.

If you put your hand on the mat and its somewhat sticky then the mat is conditioned.

1 user thanked Mommer for this useful post.
richnstiffy9e8a76e9 on 10/15/2012(UTC)
unregistered Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 12:39:43 PM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
There is a fine line between too sticky and not sticky enough! LOL When you hit that sweet spot - all is good :)

Try taking a clean t-shirt or even just your hands and patting down the mat to remove some of the tackiness from it. That should help with the "too sticky" problem. You don't want to use something that is too linty.

Are you using the "kiss cut" for the vinyl. On my Expresson that is 3-3-3. Blade set to 3, pressure set to Medium and speed set to medium. That will just cut through the vinyl, but not the backing paper. If you cut through the backing paper - it also is harder to remove from the mat.

If you are shopping for more vinyl - be sure to shop online. The prices are MUCH better than buying the Cricut vinyl in stores. I like EXPRESSIONS VINYL , but there are others like Craft Vinyl, etc. All good sources. Expressions Vinyl also has some great "how to" videos for vinyl.

Hope your project works out today! Vinyl is fun!~

1 user thanked unregistered for this useful post.
richnstiffy9e8a76e9 on 10/15/2012(UTC)