Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

DurangoGal Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:43:05 AM(UTC)
DurangoGal

Groups: Registered

So, I talked my husband into buying me a Cricut for my birthday. I rarely ask for anything, so he was quick to purchase a Cricut Mini. He was even sweet enough to get me a "A frightful Affair" cartridge. I already had some projects in mind, but I am quickly realizing that I have to have a cartridge with the shape or font that I want. I thought I would be able to use my computer to upload images. I started looking at the prices and at $30-$50 each, I think I have fallen for a scam. I am so disappointed in myself for not researching more before asking for this gift.

Can someone point me toward some projects that don't require additional purchases?
Is there a starter set of cartridges?
javascript:__doPostBack('forum$ctl03$PostReply','')
BarbPoll Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:58:05 AM(UTC)
BarbPoll

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 2102 time(s) in 679 post(s)
I believe there are free things in the Cricut Craft Room. Click on the tab at the top of the forum page & check it out. I think the mini is specifically for the craft room so should work well for you there. I haven't tried it yet. I use my Gypsy for designing. Good luck!
AuntieKLE Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:01:14 PM(UTC)
AuntieKLE

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 116 post(s)
You can download Cricut Craft Room and it has a Free font called Cricut Craft Room Basics.

Also, Mini owners were getting special cuts in Cricut Craft Room for free.

HTH
BarbPoll Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:08:27 PM(UTC)
BarbPoll

Canada

Was thanked: 2102 time(s) in 679 post(s)
I finally checked out Cricut Craft Room & it seems easy enough to use. I think you will like it. I think I'll hook up one of my machines & give it a try. Flapper
swatts66 Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:09:21 AM(UTC)
swatts66

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 1059 time(s) in 579 post(s)
It is true that you can not download your own fonts and images. You must use CCR or individual cartridges to get images and fonts. However, do not be deterred by retail pricing. I have never actually purchased a cart at a store. I shop via the Internet and my carts come from ebay, amazon, and some of the retailers associated with PC. Other than a few special carts I have never paid more than $20 and that includes shipping. And I have more than 60 carts. Also, since the mini uses CCR you may be interested in the digital carts from PC. They have good sales. Keep a watch daily on the carts you are interested in.
Maxluv Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:23:01 PM(UTC)
Maxluv

United States

Was thanked: 483 time(s) in 370 post(s)
Since you have the mini you have to be connected to the computer so you can get digital carts from cricut.com for a few dollars, some are just a few images but still you won't have to pay the prices that you quoted. Most ppl don't pay that much for carts. Really its not scam, all Cricut machines use cartridges.
keysdeb Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:39:09 PM(UTC)
keysdeb

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I just saw that Cricut.com has digital cartridges on sale for 31% off. That makes them very reasonable. I love my personal Cricut which is the original mini.
scrapalette Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:48:04 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 19134 time(s) in 8556 post(s)
I'm always surprised that people are surprised that the Cricut cartridge based cutting system requires cartridges. Huh

I hope you can return it if that's what you want to do, but I think if you shop around for carts, not only will you get some of them for very little money, but you'll be happy with how easy a Cricut is to use.
MaryStillman Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:03:04 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1249 time(s) in 792 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
I'm always surprised that people are surprised that the Cricut cartridge based cutting system requires cartridges. Huh

I hope you can return it if that's what you want to do, but I think if you shop around for carts, not only will you get some of them for very little money, but you'll be happy with how easy a Cricut is to use.

You would think. However, I just rechecked my mini box. It does not state on the top or sides of the box that the mini requires the use of purchased cartridges. It does say to connect to Cricut Craft Room to design projects online. If I knew nothing about Cricut and picked up the box to purchase, I would not assume that I would have to purchase cartridges to use in the Mini. There may be something on the bottom of the box, but the print is too small for me to read, and who is going to turn a box of an electronic product upside down in a store to read the bottom.

It also does not make it clear that you have to connect to CCR or have a gypsy to use it.

So, I totally understand the posters frustrations.

That being said. I really like the mini. I think it is the best cutting machine of the three that I have had. It makes really small intricate cuts. I have made tiny cuts and it has not yet torn any paper.

I just wish that PC would put the limitations on the box (have to purchase cartridges or only use the free CCR digital carts).

Mary
scrapalette Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2012 4:31:44 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 19134 time(s) in 8556 post(s)
I certainly get that reading the packaging may not give you all the details of a Cricut. . .like needing cartridges. But, I wouldn't buy a $100+ item without reading a little about it, checking customer reviews and comparing brands and prices at other stores and online. Huh That's the part that surprises me.
unregistered Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:15:33 AM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Quote:
I certainly get that reading the packaging may not give you all the details of a Cricut. . .like needing cartridges. But, I wouldn't buy a $100+ item without reading a little about it, checking customer reviews and comparing brands and prices at other stores and online. Huh That's the part that surprises me.

I have watched the Mini infomercial - and to someone with no knowledge of the Cricut system, it can be a bit misleading. If you are familiar with how it works, you realize you have to buy the cartridges, but the infomercial does make it sound like you can just get individual images and does not touch much on the fact about buying cartridges.

If you do your research - it is perfectly clear. If you are excited about the concept and jump right in ...ehhh.. sometimes it is a surprise.
TammyPuckett Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:46:25 AM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Was thanked: 341 time(s) in 199 post(s)
CCR has lots of free images for the Mini & you also have the fonts & basic shapes which are free too!

I never pay full price for carts & I have about 100 regular carts & 15 Imagine carts. I go on e-bay & get them cheap!
jscraftylady Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:19:29 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2342 time(s) in 1258 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IowaGirl2011 Go to Quoted Post
I have watched the Mini infomercial - and to someone with no knowledge of the Cricut system, it can be a bit misleading. If you are familiar with how it works, you realize you have to buy the cartridges, but the infomercial does make it sound like you can just get individual images and does not touch much on the fact about buying cartridges.

If you do your research - it is perfectly clear. If you are excited about the concept and jump right in ...ehhh.. sometimes it is a surprise.

I agree. I recently saw an ad in one of my crafting magazines for the Cricut and CCR. There was talk of creative freedom and endless possibilities but not even an asterisk to let folks know more purchases would be necessary. I thought it was very misleading.

I actually think their advertising has gotten more misleading over the years and that disturbs me.
 1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
unregistered on 11/1/2012(UTC)
MaryStillman Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:07:41 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1249 time(s) in 792 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post

Yes, but I think people expect packaging to state what things are needed to use the product (i.e. requires 4 AAA batteries, not included, etc.) And I think that is a realistic and probably legal expectation.

Mary

cardiffcrafter1a4aeef2 Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 12:01:35 AM(UTC)
cardiffcrafter1a4aeef2

Also "doing research" doesn't always help the purchaser.
When I decided to take the plunge an buy a cutting machine I decided against Cricut as I did not want (or like) the idea of having to purchase cartridges so I went for a Craft Robo Silohuette - which during my "research" seemed a better option for me - no cartridges and could design my own projects and import any sag cutting files - seemed perfect. that was over 3 1/2 years ago and despite numerous attempts (still trying) whatan awful machine !!!!!! That cost me nearly £300 (basically for a piece of junk !!!!!
I decided to try a Cricut create when Create and Craft (UK's craft TV channel) had an offer and was so delighted (and disappointed that I didn't purchase Cricut first instead of wasting money on IMO an inferior product). I did have an issue with Craft Room at the time - but hasn't stooped my enjoyment of Cricut and Provocraft. Creat and Craft have just had an offer on the Cricut Mini - which I just purchased and LOVE it. I have 2 cricuts for about the same cost of the craft Robo.
One final point I have also never paid full cost for a cartridge - loads of offers and there is also eBay.
World.Of.Hoard-Craft Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 12:28:01 AM(UTC)
World.Of.Hoard-Craft

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: unregistered Go to Quoted Post

I believe you *can* get individual images, on CCR. So if you only wanted one or two images you could buy them without having the entire cart.
Of course, I think the whole cart is part of the fun- playing with different features, especially. I'm not sure if a single image bought off CCR offers all the shadows and outlines, or if it is just one shape.
Maybe I was being silly, but before I bought my E three or so years ago, I did a ton of research. I didn't have a lot of money to spend (or especially to waste), so I looked into every part of the machine- how much are mats/ blades, how often I need to replace them, how much are carts, etc...
I have eight carts, and use them a lot. I spent $20 on each (including Hello Kitty) when they were on sale. I never paid full price (HK was around $90 at the time).
I knew what I was in for when I bought the machine, and have not felt cheated or disappointed. I am sorry your experience was not as good. You can try returning it at the store you bought it at. Maybe look into a non-digital diecutter, like a cuttlebug? Although the Cuttlebug doesn't offer any size options like the Cricut. The machine would be around $60, each die about $4-$10 with alphabets running well over $100. So your investment would still be for a lot of money, only with way less options to cut. But at least you'd be buying dies instead of cartridges, if that seems like a better deal