Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Jeanene Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2012 5:21:05 PM(UTC)
Jeanene

Groups: Registered

I am a loyal gypsy user and I am worried since my gypsy is getting slower each time I use it. I am fearful of the black screen of death I have heard so much about. I decided I should sync everything to CCR in case that happens since I will not invest more money in a new gypsy after this experience. I have never liked CCR and don't like to tote my computer to crops and rely on internet access to cut but this seems to be my only choice. I have several questions:

1. Are there other options I should consider besdies switching to CCR or buying a new gypsy?
2. If the carts are already linked to a gypsy, can I link them to CCR?
3. Is there a way to get all of my carts from the gypsy onto my CCR account without once again manually inserting each cart into the cricut?
4. What happens to the free carts I got with my gypsy? Will I still be able to use them since I don't own a physical cart to insert for syncing?

Help!
Jeanene
Tupperstamper Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2012 7:47:45 PM(UTC)
Tupperstamper

United States

Was thanked: 666 time(s) in 403 post(s)
Right now if a cart has been linked to a gypsy, you can't link it to craft room. You can link a cart to craft room and then through cricut sync, it will be linked to your gypsy. Hopefully one day this will change.

Lisa
Jeanene Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2012 7:01:10 PM(UTC)
Jeanene

Wow! I find that extremely frustrating. Selling the whole kit and caboodle and switching to another machine is looking better and better...
CricketCMV Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2012 8:29:31 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8269 time(s) in 4871 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jeanene Go to Quoted Post
Wow! I find that extremely frustrating. Selling the whole kit and caboodle and switching to another machine is looking better and better...

Jeanene - You can still use your actual cartridges in CCR. You just won't be able to LINK them until PC comes up with their fix. Supposedly, they are working on this so eventually you should be able to hook your GYPSY up to CCR to get those linked on your Gypsy to CCR. Unfortunately, they haven't been able to come up with that fix, as yet.

BUT, again, you can still use the actual cartridges in CCR. It's not that hard to put them in your machine as the program calls for them on your projects. When you hit CUT, you will be prompted to inject the cartridges you used on your project. Once you have injected each one separately, the CUT will start. It's not that hard to do.

I hope you will look into CCR. Be sure you have all the right equipment before you download, though.

--What kind of computer are you using?
--What kind of machines (CRICUTS) do you have (besides your GYPSY)? If you don't have any other machines, if your projects don't use more than 8-1/2X11" pages, I would suggest the MINI....again, depending on what kind of computer you have and your specifics.
--What internet browser do you use?
--How much RAM do you have on your computer?

Requirements for downloading to your PC is listed in CCR....go to the top menus to find the requirements.

If you need further help, call PC before you download and/or ask here. Maybe someone can be helpful to you.

Char

Jeanene Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:35:52 AM(UTC)
Jeanene

Char,

Thanks so much for the info. I installed CCR on my computer when it came out and tried it a few times but I never use it since I do not keep my computer and my circut in the same room. I also find it frustrating to use since I know the gypsy so well. I love the portability of the gypsy and being able to bring all of my carts via my gypsy to crops. I don't know that I will always have internet access at crops so I would have to pack more stuff if that is the case. I am just really disappointed that my investment in the gypsy (and yes I was one of the crazy ones who stayed up until midnight to order it right away) seems to be a waste of money. The selling feature of portability was such a huge draw for many of us! I am not willing to invest in any more PC products until this all shakes out. I fear there are a lot of jaded gypsy users out there right now. I'm afraid to even turn mine on right now since I can't sync the digital carts they gave us to CCR and I don't know if I will lose access to those once my gypsy dies...ugh!

And I agree, manually inserting the carts is not that big of a deal except that I have them all packed away since I never use them anymore due to the gypsy. This has cleared up a lot of space in my scrapping area.

Anyway, I will hang in there for the fix and give it a try. I wish there was a way PC could publicize this type of info. Is it out there and I am missing it somehow? Do you know how I can find out if they are working to get CCR compatible with WIndows 8 since we are most likely going to be upgrading?

Thanks for the encouragement! It helps to get feedback from others!
Jeanene
CricketCMV Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2012 10:01:40 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: Jeanene Go to Quoted Post
Char,

Thanks so much for the info. I installed CCR on my computer when it came out and tried it a few times but I never use it since I do not keep my computer and my circut in the same room. I also find it frustrating to use since I know the gypsy so well. I love the portability of the gypsy and being able to bring all of my carts via my gypsy to crops. I don't know that I will always have internet access at crops so I would have to pack more stuff if that is the case. I am just really disappointed that my investment in the gypsy (and yes I was one of the crazy ones who stayed up until midnight to order it right away) seems to be a waste of money. Well, when you consider how long you had it....if you used it quite a bit....maybe you did get your money's worth out of it. I don't know; I'm only guessing. We all buy things that don't work after a time. You have to stop and think what you paid for it (I don't think the Gypsy ever cost more than $100) and the times you used it and divide the times you used it into the $$$$ you paid for it to quantify whether or not it was worth it). Now, if you only used it five times, then you might not feel you got your money's worth; but, if you used it hundreds of times, then you might have only had to shell out $1 or less each times you used it.The selling feature of portability was such a huge draw for many of us! I do understand the portability issue for many of you; I don't transport my machines/products anywhere, so I can see this is an issue for many.I am not willing to invest in any more PC products until this all shakes out. I fear there are a lot of jaded gypsy users out there right now. I'm afraid to even turn mine on right now since I can't sync the digital carts they gave us to CCR and I don't know if I will lose access to those once my gypsy dies...ugh! I am almost certain PC will allow you to link those cartridges to your CCR account if you call them and ask. They're not going to dishonor users who have bought the Gypsy whose cartridges are linked to it when they are going a different direction. I think you just need to call to be able to get them unlinked from your Gypsy so you can link them to CCR.

And I agree, manually inserting the carts is not that big of a deal except that I have them all packed away since I never use them anymore due to the gypsy. This has cleared up a lot of space in my scrapping area. Sorry, Jeanene, but I wouldn't let this stop me from enjoying what I do have....if I weren't able to use my cartridges the way I wanted to use them. I have around 50 cartridges.....in a Walmart plastic bin with a lid. It's not that hard to bring them out...easy to find them....and I wouldn't have it any other way. I have kept control of my cartridges, so far, and not linked them to anything. That way, I can do what I want to do with them.

Anyway, I will hang in there for the fix and give it a try. I wish there was a way PC could publicize this type of info. The things I know about PC's product are published by PC in CCR (just explore all the tabs/info there) and here on the MBs. The CCR updates are given to us automatically when they come along....when you go into CCR.Is it out there and I am missing it somehow? Do you know how I can find out if they are working to get CCR compatible with WIndows 8 since we are most likely going to be upgrading? There has been mention of Windows 8 in the CCR forum here on the MBs. PCGena has given information there. I don't know which threads she was in, but there are several threads with WINDOWS 8 showing in the titles. Maybe you can see something there. Or, better yet, call PC to get the information from them.

Thanks for the encouragement! It helps to get feedback from others!
Jeanene

If CCR was the only thing I had to work with and I had another machine (you have never stated whether or not you use any other CRICUTS), I would want to be utilizing the cartridges I have to the fullest extent I could. Things don't always work out our way. We have to use what we have.

It might sound like I'm preaching here. I'm not preaching. Just trying to get you to see another perspective if you're not able to use your Gypsy.

I think you should call PC about your Gypsy to see why you can't get it Synced.

Char
Jeanene Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:58:01 PM(UTC)
Jeanene

Char,

Thanks again for the feedback. Your points are well taken. As an FYI, the origianl bundle cost around $300. That's a lot of money in my book and I use it less than my computer which I paid about the same amount for and is still running strong after the same 3 years. It was an investment I thought would last for many, many years since PC seemed to be putting so much into the design and promotion of their newest tool at the time. I have had my baby bug (my only cricut machine) for much longer than that so I trusted the reliability of the company. The main problem for me again goes back to portability which is why I was willing to spend the money and why I get frustrated with relying on CCR. Maybe the difference between being addicted to CCR vs. the gypsy affects our perspectives...ha ha!

Thanks again!
Jeanene
CricketCMV Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:46:40 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

I agree, Jeanene; we do all have different perspectives. And, I feel for you and other Gypsy users. Everyone LOVED their Gypsys for the portability aspect and I can see why.

I do want to make one point....about CCR and using your machine near your computer area. I said I would NEVER do that, either. BUT, since I didn't own a Gypsy, I decided the only way I was going to get to use CCR (which I dearly LOVE because I couldn't get CDS on my old computer and before I got my new computer, FREE CCR came along that would do everything I couldn't do with my manual Expression that I wanted CSS for)!

Our computer was in our family room (tri-level, downstairs level rec room). It's a very nicely finished area......so, I didn't really want a CRICUT machine in the area. BUT, I decided I had to if I wanted to use CCR. So, I placed a few of our chairs and a table on an angle kind of out in the middle of one space in the room (but out of the way of main walking areas) that kind of hide my computer area and MINI along a wall behind those chairs....one a glider and the other a high-back rocking chair (overstuffed...so, it's big). The MINI sits atop a three-shelf floor shelf which holds my cartridges on the bottom shelf in a big bin and my papers on the other two shelves. I bought the shelving unit for $20 at a yard sale....but, it is a wood-look very nice-looking unit. It's about 4' high. My MINI sits on top and just fits for the 12" mat to go from front to back. I NEVER, EVER THOUGHT THIS COULD WORK, but DH doesn't even mind it there. Even when company comes, they hardly ever notice what's behind those chairs. I do keep it neat.

It turned out to be much better than where I had my Expression before....that machine is in a small room behind the wall of the newer computer (where I use my MINI). Before the Expression was in an upstairs bedroom....and, having a lot of arthritis in my neck, back, arms and a lot of times all over my body, it hurt me to make my cards there. The dresser my E was on was only about 3' high, so I was constantly bending over.

In the rec room, the overstuffed rocker swivels 360deg.! So, I can turn that chair around to my cartridges to pull the bin out to look for them....I can also sit in that chair to pull the paper pads off to find my papers. IT IS SOOOOOOOO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE TO WORK IN THIS AREA WITH MY PROBLEMS. In fact, my arthritis has been much better after a year of working this way....I think I was hurting myself before and didn't really know I was.

SO, sometimes, thinking we won't do something turns out to be infintely better than not trying it.

I'm not trying to change your mind......just giving you another PERSPECTIVE! lol

Have a nice Friday!! Hope things work out for everyone on their Gypsys. I don't understand this company and why they're doing the things they do any more than anyone else. It is very frustrating even for those of us who don't have that many issues with PC (to see others having their issues).

Char