Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

ShawnMosch Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:34:51 AM(UTC)
ShawnMosch

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 854 time(s) in 292 post(s)
Do you create new decorations for each school year? If you COULD create decorations that could be used over and over again, would you?
 1 user thanked ShawnMosch for this useful post.
ssharp11d5c1f11b on 10/27/2012(UTC)
CanadaJanice Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2012 7:21:58 AM(UTC)
CanadaJanice

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 66 post(s)
I generally do not create new decorations each year, but use the same ones from year to year. It takes so much time, that I don;t really want to re-invent what I've already done.

Originally Posted by: ShawnMosch Go to Quoted Post
Do you create new decorations for each school year? If you COULD create decorations that could be used over and over again, would you?

1 user thanked CanadaJanice for this useful post.
Larmabee Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2012 5:05:39 PM(UTC)
Larmabee

Canada

Was thanked: 371 time(s) in 290 post(s)
I agree! We spend so much time designing classroom decorations, it would be ridiculous not to make them reusable. That's why I make most of my stuff out of prelaminated paper.
Shawn - are you eluding to the square one repostiionable vinyl? How does its cost compare to the cricut vinyl?
 1 user thanked Larmabee for this useful post.
Khrista Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2012 5:06:27 PM(UTC)
Khrista

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 2510 time(s) in 1398 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ShawnMosch Go to Quoted Post

Yes and No :) I have things that are a 'standard' that I've laminated for certain bulletin boards etc. as I can use a dry erase pen to write different things on them year to year. Yes in that I do different themes, like this year is owls, and make new things to go with it. After a while, you get a stock pile you can rotate too.

Most teachers probably would if they had lots of time. Sometimes is a time factor :)
 1 user thanked Khrista for this useful post.
PaperKrafter4Life Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 9:10:11 AM(UTC)
PaperKrafter4Life

United States

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 149 post(s)
I have been using solid color contact paper and it works great, runs be $1.49 a yard. I have even made diecuts for my car........holding up really well and would be great price point for teachers.
 2 users thanked PaperKrafter4Life for this useful post.
Larmabee on 10/13/2012(UTC), CanadaJanice on 10/16/2012(UTC)
curious george II Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 7:02:52 PM(UTC)
curious george II

United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 63 post(s)
I usually use the same supplies over and over again. . . and the same quotes. It works for me and I love the idea of having so many different mediums (construction paper, card stock, adhesive backed foam, vinyl) to work with I can be so creative in my classroom. I also prelaminate my paper before i cut and for my name over my door I use vinyl because I stay in the same classroom every year. I also make foam letters with magnetic backing in order to stick them to the chalkboard.

Curious II
 2 users thanked curious george II for this useful post.
Larmabee on 10/14/2012(UTC), ssharp11d5c1f11b on 10/27/2012(UTC)
ShawnMosch Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 3:38:18 PM(UTC)
ShawnMosch

Originally Posted by: Larmabee Go to Quoted Post
I agree! We spend so much time designing classroom decorations, it would be ridiculous not to make them reusable. That's why I make most of my stuff out of prelaminated paper.
Shawn - are you eluding to the square one repostiionable vinyl? How does its cost compare to the cricut vinyl?

Yes, I was eluding to that. I have been using the Square 1 product and LOVE IT. I have never used the Cricut brand, but have used other "traditional" vinyls. I have found that Square 1 cuts nice and is really easy to work with. I have made several projects for my home that I can use over and over again, and I was thinking it would be so easy for teachers to do the same thing!
keysdeb Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 5:56:02 PM(UTC)
keysdeb

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I reuse my classroom decorations over and over. I laminate everything. Saves a lot of time. :)
 1 user thanked keysdeb for this useful post.
ShawnMosch Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 10:54:17 AM(UTC)
ShawnMosch

If any of you are interested in trying the Square 1 repositionable material I use, I just found out about some GREAT coupon codes! I have all of the information on my blog

http://craftychicsblog.b...vings-from-square-1.html
ShawnMosch Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:25:47 AM(UTC)
ShawnMosch

I wanted to share a project I made for a teacher friend of mine. The young children in her class would always pull up the tape that holds the name tags down so they would look like a mess in a very short time. I made name tags out of the Square 1 Ink Jet Printable adhesive backed material so that they could be stuck down without tape . . . and moved around as needed.

There is more info on my blog and at http://square1designs.bl...m/2012/11/name-tags.html
mhjudge67 Offline
#11 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:48:05 PM(UTC)
mhjudge67

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: curious george II Go to Quoted Post
I usually use the same supplies over and over again. . . and the same quotes. It works for me and I love the idea of having so many different mediums (construction paper, card stock, adhesive backed foam, vinyl) to work with I can be so creative in my classroom. I also prelaminate my paper before i cut and for my name over my door I use vinyl because I stay in the same classroom every year. I also make foam letters with magnetic backing in order to stick them to the chalkboard.

Curious II

How do you cut your foam letters, and you can cut the paper with the laminate on it, it doesn't mess you the blade?
Larmabee Offline
#12 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:34:17 PM(UTC)
Larmabee

Canada

Was thanked: 371 time(s) in 290 post(s)
I laminate my paper and then cut it. I use the multi cut selection on my cricut. I have not noticed that it damages my blades.
curious george II Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2012 10:37:41 PM(UTC)
curious george II

United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Usually I buy the foam letters (glitter) with the adhesive backing and then apply magnetic strips to the back of them so they can stick to my chalkboard. . . I usually cut them with the multi-cut setting or I use the setting of 4 on my circut so it will not cut through the backing on the letters so it is easy to pull them off the backing without having to fight to get the backing off. When I use laminate letters I have never had a problem with my blade I laminate first and then cut but I use regular cardstock for my letters and we have a lamination machine in our library in which I ask the liberian to laminate the cardstock for me and cut my heart away. . . At the end of the year I put them in a gallon size ziplock bag and put them in my storage cabinet. . .

Curious II
WPatella Offline
#14 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 11:05:28 AM(UTC)
WPatella

I too save my decorations, some anyway, and re-use them. It helps to cut down on paper costs and I have my images laminated at work. I have done different themes for Holidays and special school events. Currently I am creating Texas stuff using the 50 States Cartridge as we have a week coming up soon celebrating the State we live in, Texas. I have cut out boots and cactus using the pre-loaded stuff on my E2 and also shapes of the State of Texas and the State flower using 50 States. I am glad I found this section of the forums so I can get more ideas. I enjoy using my E2 and seeing the faces of my kids and the "ooh's" and "ah's" from my co-workers when I create something new. Laugh Happy Cricut-ing
Linda Ajello Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, March 01, 2013 11:31:42 AM(UTC)
Linda Ajello

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 134 time(s) in 70 post(s)
I love the name tag you made. That is a great idea! I teach -(volunteer) - at my daughter's special needs school. I teach Cricut Class and never seem to have enough time with the students.
My daughter also makes 'special order' decorations for a close friend who teaches in NYC. he will give mty daughter instructions on what he needs and that gives her more to cricut. This simple gesture gives her purpose and we make frequent trips to Michaels for supplies. I will see bout laminating his decorations- right now we make him new ones since they do not last. Never even thought about laminating!
Thanks for the ideas, Linda
crafteechic Offline
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:30:12 PM(UTC)
crafteechic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I rarely to almost never use the same thing from year to year. I guess that's one of my joys of teaching........getting my own new school supplies and decor every year. lol. I hate lamination because I don't reuse things so I don't laminate either. I guess it boils down to preference......I ususally see something new over the summer that catches my eye or a new color scheme. And now that there's pinterst, I know I won't be reusing things. I also teach 5th grade and we do a lot with siblings having the same teacher. I don't ever want a parent saying, "she always has all the same stuff in her room."
Patricia23 Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 11:47:51 PM(UTC)
Patricia23

We generally decorate our classrooms every year. The first week after the school re-opens is meant for that, where we set aside an hour or so every day before classes end and decorate our classroom for the year on the theme decided for the year. Since I teach kindergarten kids, it is fun to think up of new ideas and make our classroom look different every year. I remember two years ago, we mounted board games on the walls of our classroom; this was like killing two birds with one stone - one, the room looked all nice and colorful and the games were easily accessible and two, we could do away with stacking up bulky boxes and thus got so much more space for us.

Then, last year we got around to decorating the many bookcases and bookshelves around the room. We just covered them with a brightly colored wrapping paper, each book shelf with a different color and then stuck simple white and yellow circular stickers on them. The combination of a bright and cheerful red background with white circles on it stood out and made the room look very lively.