Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

pjshoemakere3df5b18 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2012 11:31:44 AM(UTC)
pjshoemakere3df5b18

Groups: Registered

I am brand new to Cricut & don't understand how to use it. When looking at most all projects, I notice that there are several different pieces layered together. My question is "how" do I do this? Do I have to use different pieces of paper to cut EACH piece to put together the project? I guess I'm scared to get started. I have to admit that I haven't had the courage to get it out of the box. I just don’t know how to get started!!! Can someone please help me "understand" how to get started & how to use my Cricut?
Maxluv Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2012 1:23:21 PM(UTC)
Maxluv

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 482 time(s) in 369 post(s)
Which machine do you have? It would really help to take it out of the box, set it up, plug it in and put in a cartridge, its really not that difficult. The cartridge will show you what you need to cut. You can click on New to Cricut and Using Your Cricut at the top of this page.
scrapalette Online
#3 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2012 1:32:37 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19090 time(s) in 8530 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pjshoemakere3df5b18 Go to Quoted Post
I am brand new to Cricut & don't understand how to use it. When looking at most all projects, I notice that there are several different pieces layered together. My question is "how" do I do this? Do I have to use different pieces of paper to cut EACH piece to put together the project? I guess I'm scared to get started. I have to admit that I haven't had the courage to get it out of the box. I just don’t know how to get started!!! Can someone please help me "understand" how to get started & how to use my Cricut?

Yes, for a project that has different colors, you cut each piece in the color of choice and layer the pieces using the glue of your choice.

A good place to start is with the User Manual. . .it looks "big" but the instructions are in 4 different languages, so the actual info is only 20 or so pages. Then, look at the handbook that comes with the cartridge. In the front is a project or two with step by step instructions. Try making that project and getting familiar with the features of your Cricut.

Soon, you'll be creating like crazy! BigGrin
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:34:21 PM(UTC)
pjshoemakere3df5b18

Maxluv...I have a Cricut Expression. I know I need to just get it out & set it up & start. I guess I'm just afraid of screwing something up (which I'm sure I won't). It's like when I started scrapbooking (which I'm not the greatest at) but I was so timid for fear of making mistakes.

I appreciate the help from both of you. Your encouragement is appreciated, thank you!!!Laugh
Maxluv Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:37:12 PM(UTC)
Maxluv

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 482 time(s) in 369 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pjshoemakere3df5b18 Go to Quoted Post
Maxluv...I have a Cricut Expression. I know I need to just get it out & set it up & start. I guess I'm just afraid of screwing something up (which I'm sure I won't). It's like when I started scrapbooking (which I'm not the greatest at) but I was so timid for fear of making mistakes.

I appreciate the help from both of you. Your encouragement is appreciated, thank you!!!Laugh

I have an Expression as well,you will love it, just put it up and let it breath,lol.
#6 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 7:51:39 AM(UTC)
pjshoemakere3df5b18

Maxluv...I ECHO your feelings exactly. I found at a local craft store (I think it was Michael's) that they offer beginner classes where there's an instructor who helps you get started. I've thought about doing that to hopefully, ease my fears!

The other problem I have is "inspiration" with layouts & journaling. I just don't feel confident in the few layouts (traditional style with die cuts, etc.). I think they look dorky & just amateurish.

I just need to sit down & start! I appreciate all the encouragement everyone provides on these forums. I know that everyone had to start at the beginning & you can't be an expert right in the beginning! BigGrin
World.Of.Hoard-Craft Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 1:44:29 PM(UTC)
World.Of.Hoard-Craft

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Don't be afraid of the Cricut. I was a little nervous at first, but I promise it doesn't have a "self-destruct" button LOL.
I am one of those people that has no skills when it comes to technology. However, I found my Expression pretty self-explanitory. If you look in the booklet that comes with the cartridge, you will see one big area to the left, and six smaller boxes next to it (three over three). For each box, there are two images (in theory, some have only one)- a regular and a 'shift' image. Turn to any page in that booklet, and you'll see that ProvoCraft has put a picture of the completed diecut. That picture will show different colors. Each color gets cut seperately and then you glue them together. If you look in the beginning of the booklet, it will also show you a few examples of layering.
If you would be paying for the classes, it may turn out that you could treat yourself to a cartridge with the same money (carts are $20 on sale). In each cart book, there is a project to make that gives you all the sizes to cut at. Its a good tutorial, since at the end you have a finished project, and also begin to understand all a Cricut can do.
I am by no means an expert, I am still learning new things about my E all the time. Had I read the instructions, I probably would already know these things, but I like to experiment. I get the feeling a new user, isn't really 'new'... just nervous they will do something wrong. Heck, even the best of us sometimes forgets to reset the size and ends up with one 'oops, wrong size' cut once in a while LOL