Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

boon4376e5d2c051 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:28:07 PM(UTC)
boon4376e5d2c051

Groups: Registered

Hi Everyone,

I am creating a label to put on a large number of t-shirts. These will be applied to the shirts as iron-on transfers.

I want to cut the label down to size as close as possible. If I was to just cut a rectangle around the label, the "clear" areas that are ironed on around the label's printed shapes are obvious, thus I want to cut down as close to the actual color label areas as possible.

I print about 20 labels to an 8.5" x 11" sheet of iron on transfer paper.

Can I then take the printed transfer paper and put it into a cricut machine, and program the machine to cut out around the labels?

Would this be an easy task for the machine / to program in? Or should I look elsewhere for a solution?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Soshescraps Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:07:29 AM(UTC)
Soshescraps

United States

Was thanked: 1113 time(s) in 882 post(s)
Hello,

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish here. When I cut images to put on tee shirts I use heat transfer vinyl/iron on vinyl. It is really easy to use. All you do is select the image you would like to cut from your cricut cartridge, make sure you mirror the image on your machine or gypsy device, select the following settings on your machine (3-6-3) and cut. Once the image is cut, remove or weed out the extras, set up your iron without steam, apply design to tee shirt, then apply pressure to the design with your iron for about 30-60 seconds, peel off the backing and your done.

Works like a charm.

HTH
unregistered Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:33:47 AM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
I think I see what you are doing - but I don't think it will work to use any Cricut for that. I am not sure which Cricut you have, but I don't think that would be an easy task to complete on any of them. I can do it on my "other brand" machine with print & cut - but getting it to cut in the exact right spot with the Cricut might be tricky.

I don't know about cutting the heat transfer vinyl either - although, like Soshescraps said, it cuts like a dream - but cutting 20 designs that would fit on a 8.5 x 11 sheet would be VERY TINY cuts - eeek! I don't know how that would work.

I think the easiest and quickest way would be to use a paper trimmer and just cut the printable heat transfer by hand, especially since you are cutting a rectangle. If they are are lined up it would just be a few quick cuts.

This is the paper cutter I am talking about:

If you don't have one - get one! They are THE handiest thing to have around..and not very $$
CricketCMV Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 11:51:12 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8279 time(s) in 4881 post(s)
If I think I know what you're saying, you could do this in CCR.

To me, you're saying you will already have the logo/picture on the one piece (that will transfer be placed on transfer paper. Then, I think you're asking if you can make a square around that logo/picture the size you want it as kind of a border around what's already there? YOU CAN DO THIS IN CDS OR IN CCR. Or, you could manually size something on an Expression (I don't know about other machines) and guess the size you need by placing your picture/logo down on the mat (I'm assuming you're wanting a definite cut around the picture/logo, like a square and you are laying the transfer paper right down on the mat.

Manually, you could use CENTER POINT on the Expression. I think you put the blade at the center and tell the machine to cut so many inches around it. I have never used CENTER POINT, but there is a definite functionality there that might do what you're wanting.

Maybe I'm not getting what you're wanting to do. THEN, if you're asking if CRICUT machines will cut out what is showing on your logo/picture (the outline)........."no", they will not!

Char

Edited by user Sunday, November 11, 2012 11:52:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

unregistered Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:08:17 PM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
I thought about "center cut" also - and I am not really familiar at all with using it.

Would it cut 20 rectangles on one sheet? That would be cool if it did!
CricketCMV Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:39:14 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8279 time(s) in 4881 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IowaGirl2011 Go to Quoted Post
I thought about "center cut" also - and I am not really familiar at all with using it.

Would it cut 20 rectangles on one sheet? That would be cool if it did!

I'm not sure, but I would think if you were using CENTER CUT, you would probably only be able to do that on ONE image at a time.

I forgot OP mentioned doing the twenty cuts around the transfers. I don't think, in that case, you would use CENTER CUT. You would just need to know how to align the twenty rectangles you place on your CCR mat (or your virtual one) so the rectangles were going to cut out exactly where you wanted them to cut on the CRICUT.

It seems to me it would be easiest to use a cutter (as suggested by IowaGirl) or just eyeball the rectangles with scissors around each image. In using the CRICUT, you also need to know exactly where your machine cuts on the mat when you hit CUT, also. I have been reading where some cut a little "off" from where they should.....and, I have experienced this a few times myself (thinking I had my papers on my virtual mat exactly where I had my design in CCR and they didn't line up so good).

Can anyone help us out on CENTER CUT who knows for sure whether or not you can cut multiples on the same mat/cut in CCR or manually on the Expression or IMAGINE?

Char

Edited by user Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:47:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Maxluv Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:59:58 PM(UTC)
Maxluv

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 491 time(s) in 378 post(s)
First question that would need be answered is do you already have a Cricut, or are you looking to buy one for this purpose? You are getting 20 images on a sheet so that is 2x2, you could buy a square paper punch and cut them out, way cheaper then buying any machine to do it.