Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

StampinRealtor Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:41:02 AM(UTC)
StampinRealtor

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm sure I am not alone here....I just hate to waste paper. I don't use my Cricut much because of this issue and I'm sure there has to be a better way to do this.

When cutting an image that has accessories to cut also, all the accessories are lumped together on the cartridge. When you select them, you select ALL of them. That's great, however, when you want to cut them out with separate paper (and colors), you end up wasting a lot of paper when you cut them out because you don't need each item cut out in every color.

Is there are better way to do this? We spend enough on paper, why keep cutting things out in multiples that you don't really need? I dislike how the cartridges are set up this way. However, I'm sure there is a creative way around it. I just don't know how yet.

Any ideas?
scrapalette Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:51:33 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19028 time(s) in 8503 post(s)
Cricut Craft Room, a Gypsy or Design Studio all have a "hide" feature so you cut only what you want.
 1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
LibertyLyn on 11/20/2012(UTC)
Olivia'sNana Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:52:51 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 903 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Do you use CCR or gypsy. The only way to accomplish what you are wanting is if you use one of the design programs.

I don't have a gypsy so won't try to go there but in the free design program -CCR, it is easy to do this. Just copy and paste your image onto the virtual mat as many times as needed. click on each set and select hide contour. hover over each area that you want hidden until it turns red and click. it will hide that portion of the image. keep repeating until you have each part of your selected image in its own independant image. Then you can move each one anywhere on the virtual mat you want it and then place your papers accordingly on your mat. you can then cut all at the same time. I love CCR and won't use my E without it. There is so much more you can do with ccr and/or gypsy. I know there are tutorials that explain this a whole lot better than me. Hopefully someone that knows specifics can direct you to some of the tutorials.
Lguild Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:51:24 AM(UTC)
Lguild

Was thanked: 1717 time(s) in 690 post(s)
One of the great features about using Design Studio is the "hide contour" feature. (I have no idea if it's available in CCR.) Just put the accessory pieces onto the mat and use it to "hide" the ones you don't want to cut. It allows you to place multiple small pieces together that way and cut only what you want.

Another option in DS, which I understand you cannot do using a Gypsy, is to move the pieces over where the parts you do not want to cut are hanging off the edge of the mat. Only the portion inside the cutting line will be cut.

I use both these methods to save paper.
Multicrafter Amy Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:59:11 AM(UTC)
Multicrafter Amy

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 12742 time(s) in 2269 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lguild Go to Quoted Post
One of the great features about using Design Studio is the "hide contour" feature. (I have no idea if it's available in CCR.) Just put the accessory pieces onto the mat and use it to "hide" the ones you don't want to cut. It allows you to place multiple small pieces together that way and cut only what you want.

Another option in DS, which I understand you cannot do using a Gypsy, is to move the pieces over where the parts you do not want to cut are hanging off the edge of the mat. Only the portion inside the cutting line will be cut.

I use both these methods to save paper.

You can hang stuff over the edge on the Gypsy but not CCR. CCR does have "hide contour".
Lguild Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:23:19 AM(UTC)
Lguild

Was thanked: 1717 time(s) in 690 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MultiCrafter Amy Go to Quoted Post
You can hang stuff over the edge on the Gypsy but not CCR. CCR does have "hide contour".

Really? I was told that it wouldn't cut if you had any portion of it outside the cutting area when using a G. But, I don't own one myself so I just repeated what I was told. Good information for G users!
Sandy Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:58:55 AM(UTC)
Sandy

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5984 time(s) in 2459 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MultiCrafter Amy Go to Quoted Post

Yes, this is how I handle it with the Gypsy. Just hang what you don't want over the edge. Works great!
Multicrafter Amy Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:18:20 AM(UTC)
Multicrafter Amy

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 12742 time(s) in 2269 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lguild Go to Quoted Post
Really? I was told that it wouldn't cut if you had any portion of it outside the cutting area when using a G. But, I don't own one myself so I just repeated what I was told. Good information for G users!

Yes, I like to being able to do that. I wish CCR did that. I also wish that CCR was easier to weld objects with. It seems to get hung up when you over lap stuff. Takes too long.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:19:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

joyfullycrafting Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:57:55 PM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1461 time(s) in 1166 post(s)
I Love LOVE Love my Gypsy. Hang stuff over the edge (works really well). Hide part of a cut. Weld letters together to make words. It's great!
gcmcevoy Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:50:37 PM(UTC)
gcmcevoy

United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 607 post(s)
This is the main reason I got my Gypsy. It drove me nuts to try and cut all the pieces out of different colors. I would get so confused. I love my gypsy because I know where to place the different paper colors on the mat and how much of each I need. I will also cut according to paper color so all the pieces that need to be black ,let's say, are cut from one sheet of black card stock and it doesn't matter what cart they are from. I love it.