Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Bugsy2 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 1:02:42 PM(UTC)
Bugsy2

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 450 time(s) in 320 post(s)
I am a hoarder... or a pack rat... a collector maybe?? I dunno what I would be classified as, but I do know that I'm super busy trying to get things in order before the holiday break. I am finally going to "suck it up" and part with some of my many, many craft items (I knit, crochet, sew, bake, paint and paper craft). I seriously considered just putting aside the things that I absolutely want and having a friend come in to "clean out" the rest. I would not be at home, of course, but then I thought better of it. I need to do this for me...I need to do this for my family. Our house is not small, but it's not huge either. Living space is at a premium now.

For the record, I don't keep junk and trash lying around. My house is clean just overflowing with my craft stuff. I literally have stuff stored in every room except the bathroom. This used to be a running joke among my friends..that I have enough stuff to open my own craft shop. It's not funny anymore. I want some organization in my life again. I NEED organization in my life again. I want to be able to pinpoint exactly where something is and not spend 30 minutes digging through boxes looking for it.

Admitting that there is a problem is the first step in fixing the problem, right? I'm just hoping it isn't going to hurt too much. It is only stuff after all. I will not be parting with any machine or cartridges. I will not part with my papers, glitter, ribbon... I will have to weigh this very, very carefully. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for reading. I feel better now.
 2 users thanked Bugsy2 for this useful post.
southgirltexas on 12/1/2012(UTC), MomtoaZoo on 12/4/2012(UTC)
♥Carol♥ Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 1:27:56 PM(UTC)
♥Carol♥

Was thanked: 2765 time(s) in 2202 post(s)
Oh how I feel your pain ... or should I say I mirror your situation. My DH is a Sweetie and has not complained at all ... but if I take up one more inch of precious space, he just might!

Unsure

No question about it ... I need to do a serious clean out too!
craft-mommy Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 1:53:58 PM(UTC)
craft-mommy

United States

Was thanked: 158 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Oh how this is so me Flapper I'm right now in the middle of listing thing's on ebay to sell & get them out of my way if I don't use it, it's GONE Flapper I'm listing on ebay & listia.com and let me tell you it's been moving fast on listia.com it's a free site that people post there unwanted item's on and if I don't think it will sell on ebay then I will post it on the listia.com....I told my hubby that I wanted to start the New Year with a clean place to craft in and know where thing's are so I'm hoping to get this done befroe the New Year.
Kazalah Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 3:36:39 PM(UTC)
Kazalah

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 619 time(s) in 262 post(s)
Oh how I long for the days of organization! I used to have them.. I swear I did. Somewhere along the way I accumulated a lot of stuff ( mostly crafting ) and never did find an actually place for them. I've been systematically going through all my things and making piles . Trash or donate. I've donated a ton of crafting goods to the local schools and senior citizen centers in our area. They were more than happy to take it off my hands and I feel good that it's not going to waste BigGrin

Lori
garagesaler Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 3:51:21 PM(UTC)
garagesaler

United States

Was thanked: 2497 time(s) in 1996 post(s)
Oh I am right there with you. I get my area all organized and set up, then I add something new I like doing, currently stamping and coloring on cards too. Then, for some reason,when I add all of these new things, my area is unorganized and bursting at the seams again. Blushing
KnitWitRosie Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 3:52:20 PM(UTC)
KnitWitRosie

United States

Was thanked: 269 time(s) in 161 post(s)
That's why I'm pining over getting a wide-format printer!!! I've started "collecting" digital paper kits and will print my own paper if I can. I can only go 8 1/2 x 11 right now, but hopefully Santa checks out my Christmas list this year real good!! He he he

Digital paper is MUCH more storage-friendly than the real thing, PLUS.... Hubby has NO IDEA how much I have .... He he he LOL
scrappymom Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 8:16:13 PM(UTC)
scrappymom

Was thanked: 296 time(s) in 236 post(s)
Maybe you can still have your friend come over to help you and give you some support, it can be a very difficult thing to do. It sounds like you are really ready to make a change, just stay focused on your goal. There is also a website called freecycle. You post the things you want to give away and if someone wants it, they send an email and you arrange a pick up time and leave it on your porch. Good luck!
GailHamilton Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 9:53:53 PM(UTC)
GailHamilton

Was thanked: 256 time(s) in 178 post(s)
I too have somehow acquired a ton of scrapbooking/cardmaking supplies. My husband just commented the other day how he thinks I might need to move to a bigger scrapbook room or downsize some of my supplies.....Of course, I like the option of moving into a bigger scrapbook room. LOLLaugh
Hang in there....sending you hugs and some strength to deal with the situation.
Hugs,
Gail
jenny dennis Online
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 01, 2012 7:28:49 AM(UTC)
jenny dennis

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 15795 time(s) in 3814 post(s)
It's all the coupon's fault! I to have alot of stuff mine is just in my craft room, I have
moved stuff around so much sometimes I can't even remember where something is,or I buy something only to find I already have it, poor DH walks in my room and just shakes his head. So you are not alone. I have been redoing things though getting rid of stuff I don't use cleaning out alot and it realy does feel good to have a clean place to play.Good luck with your clean out.
lauraa Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 01, 2012 8:11:27 AM(UTC)
lauraa

Was thanked: 233 time(s) in 196 post(s)
I feel your pain! My "dining" room is the craft room. I just DO NOT know how to keep things in place. Can never find anything. It's a wreck, I guess it reflects what's going on in my head.Flapper

Best of luck and well wishes organizing your stuff. Have your friends help you, It is just stuff after all.

LA
ShawnMosch Offline
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 01, 2012 8:13:30 AM(UTC)
ShawnMosch

Was thanked: 854 time(s) in 292 post(s)
Have you ever seen the saying "My husband let's me keep as many crafting supplies as I can hide from him" LOL LOL LOL

When my teenage son moved out of the house I turned his room into my craft room.

I found a group on Facebook that did a challenge. We all wanted to get rid of some scraps . . . which we were calling (s)crap since so many people have heard from spouses "why don't you get rid of that crap". Anyway, the first lady put some scraps in a box and shipped them to the next lady. The second lady took some scraps out and then added some of her own and shipped to the third lady . . . and so on and so on . . . then we all created things out of the other person's (s)crap! One person's (s)crap is another person's treasure!!!!
 2 users thanked ShawnMosch for this useful post.
Annabella on 12/2/2012(UTC), ArcadiaFLNative on 12/3/2012(UTC)
Dragonfly50 Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 1:34:36 PM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1221 time(s) in 728 post(s)
I too feel your pain.

We live in a 960sq ft 3 bedroom house so the rooms are very small.
Between the 3 of us and all of our collectables it is a tight fit.

Happy organizing!!
You will feel so much better when you have it done.

Hugs
D-
GracefulGrammar Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 4:44:41 PM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 1846 time(s) in 875 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bugsy2 Go to Quoted Post
I am a hoarder... or a pack rat... a collector maybe?? I dunno what I would be classified as, but I do know that I'm super busy trying to get things in order before the holiday break. I am finally going to "suck it up" and part with some of my many, many craft items (I knit, crochet, sew, bake, paint and paper craft). I seriously considered just putting aside the things that I absolutely want and having a friend come in to "clean out" the rest. I would not be at home, of course, but then I thought better of it. I need to do this for me...I need to do this for my family. Our house is not small, but it's not huge either. Living space is at a premium now.

For the record, I don't keep junk and trash lying around. My house is clean just overflowing with my craft stuff. I literally have stuff stored in every room except the bathroom. This used to be a running joke among my friends..that I have enough stuff to open my own craft shop. It's not funny anymore. I want some organization in my life again. I NEED organization in my life again. I want to be able to pinpoint exactly where something is and not spend 30 minutes digging through boxes looking for it.

Admitting that there is a problem is the first step in fixing the problem, right? I'm just hoping it isn't going to hurt too much. It is only stuff after all. I will not be parting with any machine or cartridges. I will not part with my papers, glitter, ribbon... I will have to weigh this very, very carefully. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for reading. I feel better now.

Just a suggestion.......... A local school or girl scout group would love to have what you don't want or don't have the time to use. What a wonderful time of the year to make a donation!!! All those busy little kids, making stuff for the people they love for Christmas.......

It is hard to give away things, but it may help to know that there are really people who will put the items you donate to good use. I was a teacher for years, I loved it when crafty moms donated an old hoard to me. I was able to give my students art with more than just the usual school issue construction paper and white glue...... It is much easier to let go of our stuff when we know it will bring joy to the people who are receiving it...... Merry Christmas :-)

2 users thanked GracefulGrammar for this useful post.
Annabella on 12/3/2012(UTC), ArcadiaFLNative on 12/3/2012(UTC)
MissAnn Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2012 9:43:29 AM(UTC)
MissAnn

United States

Was thanked: 395 time(s) in 302 post(s)
I knew I had a lot of scrapbook stuff, but until you start doing some deep cleaning or moving, you just don't know how much!
ArcadiaFLNative Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2012 11:41:27 AM(UTC)
ArcadiaFLNative

United States

Was thanked: 1688 time(s) in 654 post(s)
Wow, all of you have such great ideas. I know that many people are recycling their extra supplies, etc. to various groups, charities, schools, etc.

Mama C is collecting items for her prison craft ministry with a group of ladies she is working with and there are various people who have crops for charity and need donated prizes for those too!!

I know several ladies who have various clubs, groups, etc. that always welcome supplies. I have a friend who has a 4-H Scrapbooking Club, another friend who does crops, etc. for both 4-H and FFA fundraisers.

Senior Centers, Girl Scout Troops, libraries, and schools will all welcome items.

We have a Weekday Education school in our church that has a pre-school class as well as afternoon daycare and they are always looking for items.

If you want to sell items, I am sure there are plenty of ebay, etc. sites to sell on, but if you just want to donate, there are lots of places.

Good luck with your endeavor - I too want to organize and get things neater so I can find what I have on hand. I will wish everyone luck and hope I can get more organized as well.

Penny
Kroppin Kari Offline
#16 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2012 12:33:31 PM(UTC)
Kroppin Kari

United States

Was thanked: 1762 time(s) in 900 post(s)
LOL... I feel the same way with my crafting stuff... oh and my piles of "things to sell at a garage sale" (that I guess will never happen, LOL)... I had a friend come over this weekend who works for the county department that deals with horders I jokingly said, DON'T REPORT ME, as she asked to see my scrapbook room... walked in, laughed, and laughed, and when she could get a world in said WOW, this is just AMAZING! LOL... Scared Scared Scared
joyfullycrafting Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2012 2:10:12 PM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1460 time(s) in 1165 post(s)
I am not a hoarder. I am a collector!!! However, I really need to stop collecting yarn. Paper takes up much less space. LOL Flapper BigGrin
MomtoaZoo Offline
#18 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2012 5:36:05 AM(UTC)
MomtoaZoo

United States

Was thanked: 4269 time(s) in 931 post(s)
Ladies, ladies, ladies..... don't you know there is a club who meets on Friday nights called, "Scrap Addiction 101?" LOL, there should be though!! I'd start a club since I sold all my living room furniture one day a couple of years ago and built my own table and have taken over that room-even my family doesn't dare walk in there!!! My Name is Joanne and I AM a scrap hoarder!!! BigGrin BigGrin and proud of it!!!
 1 user thanked MomtoaZoo for this useful post.
joyfullycrafting on 12/4/2012(UTC)