Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

craftymac Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 4:02:49 PM(UTC)
craftymac

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 34 post(s)
My brother gave me a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas, but gave it to me Thanksgiving Day so I can play with it while on vacation from work. I was surprised to see there were no instructions with it. Once you play around I was able to find some in the kindle - but have a few questions.

I went on my computer to Kindle Support and asked the next question, and got the message "am I willing to pay $30. for the answer"...heck no.

First off, a Prime Membership is free for one month, and then $79. a year. It lists thousands of free books, movies, apps, etc. Is this 'free' only for the first month, and then I MUST pay the yearly charge to become a member, and then once a member those items are still free? If I do not pay the money and become a Prime Member, what services are still available on the Kindle Fire HD?

Another questions: I have read that some MB members download their cricut handbooks onto their Nooks, using a memory card to save internal memory. As far as I can see, the Kindle does not have a separate memory card slot...meaning if I download my handbooks they will take up internal memory. I would love to have all of my handbooks on my Kindle (I only have arund 26 carts so it's not like they would use up all my 16 GB).

Any replies will be greatly apprecaited....

Thanks for any help!

Mac
Sandy Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 6:40:13 PM(UTC)
Sandy

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5996 time(s) in 2460 post(s)
Okie Ladybug has the instructions on her blog. I'll try to find them for you. Try to find it on her site and if you can't find it, just email her. She is always willing to help.

http://www.okieladybug.com/

Edited by user Friday, November 30, 2012 6:43:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scrappymom Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 7:57:03 PM(UTC)
scrappymom

Was thanked: 296 time(s) in 236 post(s)
I have a kindle fire and you do not have to pay for prime after your free month is up. I didn't and I don't really miss it. You can stream some shows for free if you have prime, but you have to stay in a wi-fi zone in order to do that. I think you can get some things discounted too. I use my kindle a lot to go on the internet at home and I have some books downloaded, my kids have put some games on there too. I also have some of the handbooks on there too, but not all of them. Some of the images are hard to see because they are a little blury, I would think your HD version would not do that. What has been a bummer is that since PC changed the message board I haven't been able to log in to post. I have used up very little hard drive space on my kindle. I don't think the handbooks take up much room, you should be fine.

I love my kindle..I'm sure you will love yours too!

Edited by user Friday, November 30, 2012 7:58:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LisaDePugh Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 9:25:25 PM(UTC)
LisaDePugh

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 215 post(s)
The problem I'm having is finding where to download the handbooks from. They took out the cartridge library from Cricut.com and I don't know where else to go to get them.
Sandy Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 11:36:32 PM(UTC)
Sandy

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5996 time(s) in 2460 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LisaDePugh Go to Quoted Post
The problem I'm having is finding where to download the handbooks from. They took out the cartridge library from Cricut.com and I don't know where else to go to get them.

1. Make a new folder in your Documents titled Cricut Library.
2. Go to Cricut.com and click on 'Shop'
3. Then click on Cartridge Image Library and then click on the cartridge you want
4. When the screen comes up for describing the cartridge, look on the right-hand side and it will say "click here" in red.
5. When that screen comes up, scroll to the bottom and it will say 'digital handbook' in green
6. Click on that and the handbook comes up and you can save it to the folder you made in #1.
 2 users thanked Sandy for this useful post.
OliviaV. on 12/2/2012(UTC), Emerald on 12/4/2012(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 01, 2012 10:15:29 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 235 post(s)
When I am browsing the digital handbooks on my pc I use the "send to kindle" desktop app. HERE is a link for that desktop app.

I download the handbooks and save them into a file on my computer that I've named Cricut Handbooks.
Then I choose the ones I want to send to my Kindle. Right click will give you the "send to Kindle" option. And off it goes. They will appear on your Kindle as PDF files. You can then keep them on your device or store them in the Amazon cloud to save space on your Kindle.
Although, I have about 75 handbooks loaded on my Kindle and they really don't take up much space. The handbooks can be viewed in landscape position and you can zoom in and out to see more detail.

If you are browsing the digital handbooks on the Cricut website from your Kindle - just get yourself to the "download handbook" spot and...well...let it download directly onto your device.
To find your downloaded handbook, go to the bottom of the Kindle screen where you see the menu icon and there will be a "downloads" file. Your handbooks will be found there.

Once you have them on your Kindle, they will ultimately reside in your DOCS folder that is found at the top of your home screen
mandys Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 6:46:57 AM(UTC)
mandys

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 167 time(s) in 136 post(s)
Most of these have already been answered, but I will give my opinions as well. I have the older Kindle Fire, but I believe all this stuff to be the same

Originally Posted by: craftymac Go to Quoted Post

First off, a Prime Membership is free for one month, and then $79. a year. It lists thousands of free books, movies, apps, etc. Is this 'free' only for the first month, and then I MUST pay the yearly charge to become a member, and then once a member those items are still free? If I do not pay the money and become a Prime Member, what services are still available on the Kindle Fire HD?

Yes, Amazon Prime is a membership and costs $79/year or $7.99/month if you want to do month by month. I have been a member for a few years mostly because of the free 2-day shipping. The other stuff is new to the membership and is a very nice bonus, although the video catalog is far short of netflix. I would say that if you subscribe to netflix, and the videos were all you are looking for under prime it would not be worth it. The books, are free rentals, but I believe still only one a month. So it isn't unlimited like the video streaming. Your purchase of a Kindle Fire entitles to to see the benefits of Prime free for one month, so yes it is only free for the first month. If you want to keep the streaming video and prime library books you must subscribe to the service. The Fire still has many services not on Prime. Like a regular Kindle you can still get all the kindle books that are free to everybody, and the purchased ones as well. Same for magazine subscriptions. There are lots of free apps as well. Anything you purchase app, book, movie is yours to keep prime or no prime. A note, you should always check the app store every day because they offer one paid app for free every day.

Another questions: I have read that some MB members download their cricut handbooks onto their Nooks, using a memory card to save internal memory. As far as I can see, the Kindle does not have a separate memory card slot...meaning if I download my handbooks they will take up internal memory. I would love to have all of my handbooks on my Kindle (I only have arund 26 carts so it's not like they would use up all my 16 GB).

The kindle doesn't have a spot to add memory. THis is how I d/l the books. Find the website on the browser, choose cart, choose details, click on digital handbook. Now to retieve click on the menu in web browser and choose downloads. Here is where all the stuff you d/l frmo the internet will be stored. You can add apps to help you organize.

Any replies will be greatly apprecaited....

Thanks for any help!

Mac

keysdeb Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 1:27:04 PM(UTC)
keysdeb

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 24 post(s)
For me with children away at college, family 1500 miles away, and living in the Florida Keys where Walmart and malls are 125 miles away I couldn't live without Prime. There is unlimited video streaming which includes television shows.Books are limited to one a month and one at a time.

Enjoy your Kindle I love mine.

Deb
coralz Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 4:48:55 PM(UTC)
coralz

Was thanked: 189 time(s) in 145 post(s)
[quote=sewnmachine;1610393]When I am browsing the digital handbooks on my pc I use the "send to kindle" desktop app. HERE is a link for that desktop app.

ETA: I hit quote I don't know why its not boxed

good to know thank you

Edited by user Sunday, December 02, 2012 4:49:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Just Me Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 8:30:30 PM(UTC)
Just Me

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 29 post(s)
There are several facebook pages that you can like and they will let you know what books are free that day. You can also just search for free kindle books on Amazon's site.

Edited by user Sunday, December 02, 2012 8:33:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

craftymac Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2012 7:43:14 AM(UTC)
craftymac

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Thank you all SO much for the information. I knew I could count on you guys for the answers....

Love Love
Mac