Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

travnjen768090bd Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:05:34 AM(UTC)
travnjen768090bd

Groups: Registered

I have the circuit expression. While shopping I noticed there are a wide variety cartridges to choose from. But what is the different between the cartridges... Solutions? Lite? Cake? Imagine? Etc....
Can I use the different cartridges on all the different machines?
ladybugstamper Online
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:31:43 AM(UTC)
ladybugstamper

Was thanked: 496 time(s) in 253 post(s)
Hi!
Welcome to the world of Cricut.

The types of cartridges in the beginning of Cricut were to identify content mostly shapes versus mostly font. Then it had to do with quantity of images, and then it has to do with the different types of machines. LOL!!! It can get confusing.

All you need to know is that there are two physical style of cartridges. The Cricut cartridges work in all machines O-Bug, Create, Expression, Cake, Expression 2 and Imagine.

The Imagine cartridges only work in the Imagine Machine and some Imagine cartridges will work in the E2.

The shape cartridges would be cartridges like A Quilted Christmas, Mickey Mouse, Elegant Edges, these cartridges are mostly shapes or images and maybe a font or envelopes, etc. These can be used in any machine, and are considered full content cartridges. Which means lots and lots of images.

The font cartridges are like Calligraphy, Mickey Mouse Font, Lyrical Letters. They are mostly fonts, maybe 2 or 3 styles, and can have tags, cards or images as a bonus. These can be used in any machine, and are considered full content cartridges. Which means lots and lots of images.

Lites are exclusive to Wal Mart. They can be used in many machines, they don't have a lot of content, usually 1/3 to 1/2 what you would find in a full cartridge. Designs vary. I always consider these cartridges as theme specific, not a lot of variety, but a cartridge all about a theme, like Varsity Letter only has the block letters, Handyman is all about building stuff, etc.

Solutions came out before the Lites, and are similar in content and uses. Christmas Village which is the free one in CCR is a Solution cartridge. These can be used in all machines.

Cake cartridges came out when the Cricut Cake Machines came out. The cartridge doesn't know what it is cutting so it can cut fondant or paper. It's the food safe cake machines that are used for food. I have used regular cartridges in my cake machine, as well as the cake cartridges to cut paper. The cake cartridges have very nice alphabets and borders, and are very versatile. These cartridges tend to be seasonal so you get a great sampling of holiday cuts.

Project and Event cartridges are similar to solution cartridges, but offer less images. These cartridges are specialized and have multi layer cuts, like the flowers or the album cartridge. They can be used in all machines.

The Imagine cartridges come in 2 styles. One style is to make patterned/colored paper, the other style of cartridge offers images to be cut as well as patterned/colored paper. I don't have an Imagine so I don't know about the cartridge content.

The E2 will allow you to use all regular cartridges (they are grey colored) and some of the Imagine cartridges (they are white, I think). However, the E2 doesn't to the printing of paper, but it will cut the images from the Imagine cartridges. I don't have an E2 either, but I think I have this right.

Okay, lots of info, hope it helps.

2 users thanked ladybugstamper for this useful post.
southgirltexas on 11/29/2012(UTC), CrafteerMisadventures on 11/30/2012(UTC)
Sondra Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 8:19:57 PM(UTC)
Sondra

United States

So, it sounds like you are very very very familiar with the cricut world...which is great!! You can help all of us newbies.....and believe me, we really appreciate it!!I have been doing alot of reading to figure things out. I joined the craft room and thought that it looked perfect for what I needed to do....which is making stencils for glass etching. I got everythiing downloaded and did the updates to my cricut and was so excited that I would have soooo many styles of lettering to choose from......then, found out that you have to have that cartridge to make it cut, I was busy for about a half an hour doing a project and when it wouldn't cut I thought something was wrong with my connection to my cricut from my computer. So, after many hours of retrying and restarting and reading......realized that even though I am able to select everything from the craft room, I still have to also have the cartridge. I was bummed to say the least....anyway, my question to you....after all that, is, are their any letters in the craft room that I don't have to have a cartridge for??? And, any suggestions as to where the cheapest place is to buy the cartridges. thank you in advance for your help......
marywhatley824 Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 10:30:14 PM(UTC)
marywhatley824

I am also new, but in I have found that there is some free content in the Craft Room. To access this you have to look under the tab of "My Cartridges". This week the Christmas Village is free and you access this under the same tab. Hope this helps! BigGrin
marywhatley824 Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 10:31:40 PM(UTC)
marywhatley824

Oh I forgot to mention that the free font is under Cricut Craft Room Basics.