Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

ChrisMcNeal Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 2:13:49 PM(UTC)
ChrisMcNeal

Groups: Registered

I am new to the E2, but not new to cricut. I am cutting Christmas lights from the "create a critter" cartridge. I want to create a shadow for the SINGLE bulbs, not the strand of 3. Can I select just a portion of the 3-strand to cut? and if so, how do I make sure that is the same size as my single bulb (the colored part) so they layer correctly? Is that even possible?? Thanks. :)
Olivia'sNana Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 2:56:00 PM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 903 time(s) in 438 post(s)
I think you are going to have to cut the whole image and then just hand trim away the strand. You wouldnt even be able to hide contour in CCR or with a gypsy because the image is all one drawn line so if you hid contour, you would hide the whole image and not just parts of it.

In any case to answer the other part - this image has a layer (bulb color) and a shadow cut and anytime you select the cut size, either on your machine or in CCR/gypsy, you are selecting the height of your base image. In this case it is the three light strand. When you select any layer or shadow parts to go with the base, they will automatically cut in proportion to the base cut. (As long as you have the "relative" and not "real" size selected). Just remember if you use ccr/gypsy, if you resize after placing on your virtual mat, be sure that you bracket all the images and resize AT THE SAME TIME so everything stays in proportion.

Since you are wanting just a single bulb and not the whole strand, you will likely want to size larger because it is measuring from the highest to the lowest part of the whole image. In this case the height would be from the tip of the strand to the bottom of the center bulb. If you use ccr/gypsy, you can use the virtual mat 1" squares as a guide to see what size the bulb part will be.

Hope this helps and is not too confusing
ChrisMcNeal Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:33:47 PM(UTC)
ChrisMcNeal

Thanks so much.... I was resizing using CCR, which I have not used before, so I was having issues with getting the shadow layer & the image layer to match. I resized the colored part of the bulb by itself, using the handles instead of typing in a size value....

AND.... since I cut the bulbs before I realized I had an issue trying to get the strand to match... I might be up the proverbial creek on this one. I think it is time to whip out the trusty ol' scissors and hand cut some little plug parts for these 30 bulbs & call it good! LOL

Still a lot to learn with the CCR, since that seems to be the way to go with the E2.
Thanks again!!

Edited by user Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:36:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Olivia'sNana Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 7:00:19 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Originally Posted by: ChrisMcNeal Go to Quoted Post
Thanks so much.... I was resizing using CCR, which I have not used before, so I was having issues with getting the shadow layer & the image layer to match. I resized the colored part of the bulb by itself, using the handles instead of typing in a size value....

AND.... since I cut the bulbs before I realized I had an issue trying to get the strand to match... I might be up the proverbial creek on this one. I think it is time to whip out the trusty ol' scissors and hand cut some little plug parts for these 30 bulbs & call it good! LOL

Still a lot to learn with the CCR, since that seems to be the way to go with the E2.
Thanks again!!

maybe not, that is if you haven't already whipped out the old scissors. Consider this, if you have the colored part saved as a file in ccr.

Open the file or attempt to reconstruct the colored part buy starting with a new one and get it to the size that you have alread cut, then add a new mat layer and move the new layer to the first position (click and hold on layer 2 tab at top of mat and move to the left to reorder the layers. You want the base layer in the first position so that the bulb will lay on top of the base without being hidden) now keep resizing the base strand using the handles until the bulb fits correctly. You can then copy and paste the strand as many times as necessary to get enough base images for the 30 buls that you already have. and wala! I am going to attempt to attach a screen print of ccr

I love ccr and the more you use it the more you learn. It allows so much versatility that is not available with just a stand alone machine.

Olivia'sNana attached the following image(s):
clip_image002.jpg
 1 user thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
ChrisMcNeal on 12/6/2012(UTC)
ChrisMcNeal Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 1:01:24 PM(UTC)
ChrisMcNeal

Thank you thank you Olivia's Nana!!! This is why I love these boards :)

I was able to follow your instructions & learned a bit about using CCR! I couldn't cut, because of course the image was too large, off the page, blah blah blah.... But I WAS able to play around with it & figure out a few things, like the mat layers. That makes such a huge difference!
So thank you for the help!

Olivia'sNana Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 4:53:22 PM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

you are so very welcome. There have been so many wonderful people on the MB that have helped me out and inspired me so much.

One thought about your size, if you rotate the base and lay it diagonal in the center of the mat, you can get a little more size squeezed on the mat. Not sure how much to big it is, but thought worth suggesting just in case. That is the one difference between ccr and Design studio that I wish would change. DS would still cut what was inside the mat and just skip the part thay extended beyond the cut border. Hope someday they update ccr to allow that.