Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Stefanie2106 Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 4:15:01 PM(UTC)
Stefanie2106

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello all!
I'm having a difficult time creating my scrapbook room. I'm trying to use the furniture pieces I already have but can't seem to make it work. I'm hoping you can give me some ideas on what to do. I'll share what I have and what I'm wanting to do...

Furniture I have-
Desk with hutch top- I need something like this to continue holding the computer, printer and keyboard, not necessarily with a hutch, just room for desktop, keyboard and printer.
Sewing machine cabinet- this was my great grandmothers. It has the top that flips to both sides giving more work space. I use it now when I scrapbook and cover the hole where the sewing machine comes up with cardboard.
Currently both pieces are in separate rooms but they can be moved.
Rolling cart- holds Cricut, scrapbook bag, cartridges, paper...okay, basically everything!

Machines-
Desktop computer and printer
Cricut

What I'm hoping for-
"L" shaped to have plenty of room to work. The desk doesn't have a lot of table area since it has the hutch. I'm fine with rolling out the cart when I want to use the Cricut. I've thought about putting the desk and sewing table together to where when the sewing cabinet is open, it would form the "L".

The room where this would all go has a 3 foot closet which I do have shelves I could install to hold basket, boxes, just about anything to help stay organized. I'm a pretty organized person now but I want it to be easier to have access to all scrap booking items.

I've attached a few photos of what I have right now. I'd really love some feedback. I'm also open to selling the desk and getting something more efficient, just not willing to sell the sewing machine. If you have suggestions on a good desk for a computer and scrap booking please let me know!
File Attachment(s):
DSC09373.JPG (2,201kb) downloaded 176 time(s).
DSC09374.JPG (2,042kb) downloaded 112 time(s).
DSC09375.JPG (2,193kb) downloaded 113 time(s).
ValerieSchomburg Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 12:40:42 AM(UTC)
ValerieSchomburg

Was thanked: 1606 time(s) in 1480 post(s)
I don't really have any specific ideas for you. I think the first thing you need to do is decide on the amount of space you have and start looking around at items that are available. Check out the JetMax items, which are popular, IKEA items, Walmart, K-Mart for storage units. I've seen a lot out there. You need to decide if you want drawers and/or shelves, baskets, etc. And what you'll be storing in the items. I think going in and looking at the rooms and ideas posted in this forum will help you. I have been looking for some time trying to decide myself what I want to do. As soon as I can get my ideas put together and what I need, I'll be on my way. LOL. I have found a lot of great things and I keep trying to look for more.

Right now, all of my stuff is in boxes because I may be moving...not even sure about that yet.

That's my best suggestion for you. You need to decide what will work best for you. You may be able to make the items you have work, and then you may want to get rid and start over. But that may have to be decided as you go too.

Hope this helps you out some.

Good luck!
smgoodie Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 2:42:50 PM(UTC)
smgoodie

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Look at pictures that others have of their rooms.
Take what you like and add to what you have.
Lots of work space is needed, so it storage.
Like the sewing machine cabinet. You can get
an insert cover for the sewing machine opening
that will allow you to work better with both
extensions open.

2 users thanked smgoodie for this useful post.
Emerald on 12/10/2012(UTC), LauraTous on 12/20/2012(UTC)
Momtozsm Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:42:16 PM(UTC)
Momtozsm

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I am the same way, trying to re organize my scrap room. How about if you take the hutch part off the desk and hang that on the wall. This way you can use both the desk and sewing table like you wanted as a L shape. For my table, I have two desk back to back to give me a big square work area. I found that desk to be too narrow especially when I am working on two page layouts.

Google search scrapbook rooms, you will find a lot of inspiration, also if you are a member of Pinterest search scrapbook storage, I have pinned a few things I would like to add to my room some day.

Good luck.
 1 user thanked Momtozsm for this useful post.
LauraTous on 12/20/2012(UTC)
Radbunny Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2012 7:52:05 PM(UTC)
Radbunny

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 34 post(s)
I agree with them, but if you have a bigger room and lots of "empty" space in the middle, a kitchen island is a great addition. I have one in my room and love the extra storage and work surface it provides. There are many different varieties, too.

Good luck! And post more pics when you're done! :)