Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

AKSA76fed74eed Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2012 9:19:43 PM(UTC)
AKSA76fed74eed

Groups: Registered

Hi!
I am new to the Cricut world and am SO excited to get going! I bought the E2 last week but have yet to start doing stuff on it as I don't have any cartridges (other than the ones that came with it which are very basic).
So my first question is:
What are the BEST cartridges for a newbie to have? There are so many to chose from and some are so expensive that I'm totally baffled as to what I should get first so I can get a handle on my cricut before I invest in the expensive ones.
Question 2:
Do I need to buy the imagine cartridge to be able to print font on to the cuttings? Like if I make a place card, am I able to print a name on it instantly or do I have to do that manually or use a regular printer? (I hope it's not the latter cos then it'll just be a whole lot of alligning pain!)

I am an event planner and my main reason for using the cricut would be to make decorations etc so the cartridges I would need would be more along those lines. Please do let me know what I should do to be a part of this AMAZING world!
Maxluv Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2012 12:54:46 PM(UTC)
Maxluv

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 482 time(s) in 369 post(s)
There are several carts that are event carts you might take a look at those, just click on shop top of the page and look thru the carts, you can see a pdf of the booklet. I'm not sure how the Imagine carts work on the E2, sure someone will come along with an response to that.
deleted Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2012 1:33:06 PM(UTC)
deleted

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Quote:
Question 2:
Do I need to buy the imagine cartridge to be able to print font on to the cuttings? Like if I make a place card, am I able to print a name on it instantly or do I have to do that manually or use a regular printer? (I hope it's not the latter cos then it'll just be a whole lot of aligning pain!)

The Imagine (now discontinued)was the only Cricut with "print & cut" functionality. You cannot "print" from any of the cartridges using your own printer. You can cut the designs on the Imagine cartridges, but you cannot use the "print" functions of them.

Unfortunately, it is the "other brand" machine that has this print & cut function.
Spookysnip Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 9:39:17 AM(UTC)
Spookysnip

Canada

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I would suggest these carts, but it totally depends on what you want/need/like as far as content goes.

Here's what I have in my cartridge library (I also have an E2):

Create a Critter 2 - perfect all season cart (covers everything from new years to christmas and more. Cute critters with phrases. (not cheap, but you can sometimes find them on sale for about $25 - $30. There's a lot on this one and I think it's worth it for me)

Tags, Bags, Boxes and More 2 (or the orginal: Tags, Bags, Boxes and More) - Contains many bags, boxes along with coordinating tags, phrases and cards. The only downside is that you need a scoring tip (like a blade, but blunt) to be able to score some of the boxes and cards (only for TTBM 2 though)

Mini books - if you like making mini albums and scrapbooking, this might be a cartridge you like. You can cut out an entire mini album with envelops and pockets to boot (there a couple of different album styles too). This one is the cheapest of the bunch, it's about $29 regular price and sometimes goes on sale for about $15 - $20.

Happy Hauntings - If you love halloween, you will love this cartridge. It's packed with tons of images and 3D items for halloween (Halloween is my favorite holiday so this is my personal fav cart.)

A quilted christmas - This cart has lots of christmas-y images and cards. (no phrases and no envelop though).

Edited by user Monday, December 31, 2012 9:44:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

susangedge7dd3a6b4 Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 12:14:52 PM(UTC)
susangedge7dd3a6b4

a few of you mentioned that sometimes you can find these items on "sale". Where? Every craft store coupon I've ever seen excludes them...how do you find a deal on these things?
Maxluv Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 5:28:02 PM(UTC)
Maxluv

United States

Was thanked: 482 time(s) in 369 post(s)
Originally Posted by: susangedge7dd3a6b4 Go to Quoted Post
a few of you mentioned that sometimes you can find these items on "sale". Where? Every craft store coupon I've ever seen excludes them...how do you find a deal on these things?

When they are on sale you don't need a coupon, Michael's, ACMoore have them onsale almost every week sometimes 40% off, I've gotten event carts for $11.99. You can also look on this site by clicking on Shop they have sales, Ebay, cricutmachine.com has carts on sale right now for $11.99.
swatts66 Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 06, 2013 4:22:52 PM(UTC)
swatts66

United States

Was thanked: 1053 time(s) in 577 post(s)
I have learned how to print onto cardstock and then cut out on the cricut. It is very easy with a program such as Microsoft Publisher. In addition you use CCR and set up the X and Y axis to the same place that the top and side of your item on Publisher. My daughter is getting married in Key West in a few weeks and we did a ton of stuff and sent them to our wedding planner. We were thrilled with the way place cards, welcome bag tags, etc. turned out. I completely forgot to take photos before we mailed but will get some pics and post them after the wedding. We did the following:
invitations to bridal luncheon
tags for welcome bag items
place cards
banner for guest book
his and hers signs for backs of chairs at sweetheart table
seat assignment banners and seat assignments printed on computer and cut out
etched 72 votives with a sea shell using vinyl and etching cream
frames with table numbers

The other machines might do it all, but with a little work, a good printer and a good computer program you can do with with the Cricut. Once you figure it out, then it's a cinch from then on.