Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

MissAnn Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2012 5:49:01 PM(UTC)
MissAnn

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 395 time(s) in 302 post(s)
My husband and I are planning Vegas vacation for July. I have been reading the reviews on all the big name hotels on the strip. Every single one has negative reviews about one thing or the other. What would you recommend based on personnel experiences? And what about all the add on expenses like if you want a fridge it's extra per day! Any infor would be great. Thanks
joyfullycrafting Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2012 6:24:10 PM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1448 time(s) in 1154 post(s)
We have stayed at the Excalibur several times and it is fine. We get the cheapest rooms, so nothing fancy, but it works for the price. The parking is quite a ways from the main entrance.

Oldest DD stayed at the Bellagio for work this fall, and she said the same thing. Her room was fine but not fancy. I wouldn't worry about the rooms, just enjoy the experience, walk the strip, see shows (they can be expensive!). And have fun!!!
 1 user thanked joyfullycrafting for this useful post.
MissAnn on 1/1/2013(UTC)
PedalPower Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2012 6:45:41 PM(UTC)
PedalPower

Was thanked: 1571 time(s) in 934 post(s)
The last time we went, we stayed at the Monte Carlo, which was lovely. It did have some extra fees, but we were given a book of coupons to use (for example, the gym was a fee, but we had coupons to cover most of our stay). That was about 10 years ago, but the Monte Carlo was recommended to me by a co-worker who traveled to Vegas frequently.

I stayed at Excalibur when I was in college, but I would consider it more family friendly than the Monte Carlo.
 1 user thanked PedalPower for this useful post.
MissAnn on 1/1/2013(UTC)
MarleneO Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2012 11:51:21 PM(UTC)
MarleneO

United States

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 80 post(s)
I love the Mirage! I was just in Vegas last September and we stayed at Caesars because hubby's business was there. What a mistake! I paid a lot more and everything is so spread out that I had to rent a scooter to get around the hotel. (I have bad knees). Never again! I have stayed at the Luxor -very nice, and a few others but my favorite is the Mirage and it is in the middle of everything. I ahven't stayed at the Venetian or Paris so I can't say about those, I also haven't stayed at the Bellagio and I would like to try that one day. Good Luck where ever you stay!
 1 user thanked MarleneO for this useful post.
MissAnn on 1/1/2013(UTC)
lauraa Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 8:57:04 AM(UTC)
lauraa

Was thanked: 233 time(s) in 196 post(s)
My husband attended work related trade shows for years, so... I've been many times all different hotels. All are pretty basic rooms, small, clean, and adequate.

It really depends how much you value a view or how much time you spend in the room. If it's your first time there, you might want a nicer place such as Paris or Bellagio, but $$$$. We've been so many times we just need a bed to sleep in, so no frills for us, we rent a car so no problem if off strip.

Monte Carlo was probably the nicest as far as view and room size. Right in the middle of things, so to speak.

Cesar's Palace and MGM, too big! You might walk for 20 minutes just to get to your room.

Stratosphere is a ways from the other hotels but nice, good value. Great view from top.

Hilton about the same.

Circus Circus great for kids and very very good value if you don't mind a few "crusty edges"

Sam's Town. Way off strip, kind of old school, not fancy or shiny. Local, very colorful crowd watching. Excellent value.

I've also stayed at few LOW LOW budget off strip. Which are great if only looking for a place to crash.

Plan on walking for miles in any of the well known strip hotels, they are unbelievably gigantic.

Hope this helped, Have fun!
Laura

Edited by user Monday, December 31, 2012 9:11:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

1 user thanked lauraa for this useful post.
MissAnn on 1/1/2013(UTC)
MissAnn Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 9:54:07 AM(UTC)
MissAnn

United States

Was thanked: 395 time(s) in 302 post(s)
Wow! All of you have given me some places to check into. We will be celebrating 30 years of marriage and I want it to be so special! Thanks. For all your advice.
ScrapyPiggy Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 01, 2013 12:50:39 AM(UTC)
ScrapyPiggy

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 178 post(s)
My DH and I go every couple of years and have decided we want to spend more on shows and trying different resturants rather then our room.

So we stay off strip and rent a vehicle. We take one day and drive up to Mount Charleston. Nothing fancy but there is a little resturant that has good food and if you like mountian view it is very beautiful.

Our friends who met us out there in October had a wonderful day with us on the mountain, just driving around.

If you don't feel upto driving in Las Vegas then I suggust you locate one of the hotels on the strip so you can walk from one to the next.

There are tons of resturants and shows to choose from I recommend you get online and read the reviews for the shows.

Resturants you have a choice of all kinds of different foods for both 5 star cheifs to local fair.

You can try place where locals go such as the Peppermill grill and lounge that you get plenty of food.

To the Hofbrauhaus for good German food and fun. True German style pub with large table and bench seating.

Most important thing is just have fun.
 1 user thanked ScrapyPiggy for this useful post.
MissAnn on 1/1/2013(UTC)
TulipCollector Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:59:50 AM(UTC)
TulipCollector

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 7222 time(s) in 2516 post(s)
Congratulations on your 30th Anniversary. Our 34th is in June!

We have had great stays at Southpoint and the M. They are off the strip but really nice and you can go to the strip easily in your own car or cab.

When we have to stay on the strip because we are with a group, we usually stay at Excalibur. Great value and right in the midst of everything. We never have to move our car.
 1 user thanked TulipCollector for this useful post.
MissAnn on 1/1/2013(UTC)
gzbug Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 01, 2013 10:01:41 AM(UTC)
gzbug

United States

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 52 post(s)
I like the Elara a Hilton Grand Vacations hotel, formally PH Towers. It is right behind Planet Hollywood attached to the Miracle Mall. All rooms have a fridge dishwasher. micro/oven. It is mid strip easy walking to anything on the strip. I have stayed there the last two years and will be my hotel of choice. I book the lowest room price, last year when it was PH Towers at check in we paid $10 a night to upgrade to the small suite on the top floor it was worth it. This year I requested same room but it was not available but they still put me up on one of the top floors and I didn't have to pay for the view room, it was not the two room suite but still was nice.

1 user thanked gzbug for this useful post.
MissAnn on 1/1/2013(UTC)