Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Oleeka Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 01, 2013 1:41:02 PM(UTC)
Oleeka

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I found the Cricut magnet sheets on sale via Amazon and thought I'd give it a try. Has anyone tried adhering anything other than vinyl to it and, if so, what type of adhesive did you use? I want to layer a paper die cut of one size onto a slightly larger cut of the magnet sheet (probably shadow cut) and finish with an overlay of cold laminating material. This will then go on the car IF the seal will be strong enough to keep the paper dry. I want to try this instead of vinyl because of the vast range of paper choices when compared to the vinyl. I've already worked out a system using the Xyron magnet cartridge, but I want something I can cut to the shape of the die cut. I've got other magnet sheets "wishlisted" in Amazon that have an adhesive side, I just don't know how well they'll cut. Thanks for any info you can give me!
Spookysnip Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 1:07:31 PM(UTC)
Spookysnip

Canada

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Yes you can cut magnet, but you'll need the deep cut blade assembly. Here's the cut settings (I wasn't sure what machine you had, so I picked an E2; Should be the same though): http://content.provocraf...e_CricutExpression2.pdf
Oleeka Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 4:25:47 PM(UTC)
Oleeka

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the confusion. What I'm interested in knowing is the best way to adhere paper to the magnet sheet. It feels/looks pretty glossy and I'm concerned about what I might use to stick the paper to the white side. While I haven't worked with the vinyl yet, I would guess that it's very sticky and would adhere well. What type of adhesive works best if it's NOT vinyl? Does running paper through a Xyron machine using the permanent adhesive work OK? Or does it need to be more of a super-glue, like E-6000? These sheets are expensive and I'm just trying to get more info before I start experimenting and messing things up.
Maxluv Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:46:19 PM(UTC)
Maxluv

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 496 time(s) in 382 post(s)
I've read your post multiple times and i'm still not sure that i understand what you are trying to do, but i'll give it a shot,BigGrin ...ok you say the white paper on the magnet sheet is glossy, doesn't that sheet come off and then you stick things to the top and then the magnet would be the back? So if you cut the magnet using the Cricut in a shape, you would adhere the paper to the front and then cut your shape?
Oleeka Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 10:28:41 AM(UTC)
Oleeka

You would think that the white part would peel off, but I don't think it does. The box the sheet comes in provides no instructions, which is frustrating. The only reference I have seen from someone who tried to peel the white sheet off was a review on Amazon. She gave it a single star and really complained about how it was impossible to peel it off. The YouTube videos that I've seen working specifically with the Cricket magnet sheet were done by a woman who use the sticky side of the vinyl to attach it to the white part of the magnet sheet. I don't think very many people use the Cricket magnet sheets because I have found so few references to it and none of them have addressed this issue specifically. There are other magnet sheets that do have an adhesive side where you peel the white sheet off, but I don't think the Cricket magnet sheet is one of them. I tried peeling a corner of the white sheet off, but was unable to do so. This is why I posted this topic. I should probably call customer service to see if they know how to resolve this.
Oleeka Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 11:07:10 AM(UTC)
Oleeka

Just called customer service and the nice lady had to put me on hold several times, but I think we figured it out. The white side of the magnet sheet DOES NOT peel off. The official ProvoCraft video about the magnet sheet that she was able to find said the sheet was designed to be used with vinyl. The one person she could find in the call center who has use the sheet said she has let her kids draw on it, but that she has never peeled the white part off or tried adhering anything other than vinyl to it. I guess I'm going to have to "burn" at least a part of the very expensive sheet and try adhering a piece of cardstock to it (probably using a Xyron machine) and seeing what happens when I try to cut it. If that fails, I'll just use the rest of it with vinyl, then try using a magnet sheet with a peelable, adhesive side and hope that cutting THAT material doesn't damage one of my Cricuts (Baby, Expressions and Mini.) I'll try to post the results. Thanks to all who've posted.
Maxluv Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 5:30:59 PM(UTC)
Maxluv

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 496 time(s) in 382 post(s)
Ok good at least you got a response, i've never used, just make sure you use a deep cut blade.
tracy.citd0ffbedf Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 06, 2013 5:40:54 PM(UTC)
tracy.citd0ffbedf

I was wondering the same exact thing...about gluing paper to a magnet sheet. I am a preschool assistant teacher and a local business donated a large end roll of a magnet sheet. I want to cut out letters to let the kids learn the alphabet. However, I was thinking of gluing paper to it and have the letters be in a pattern. I cannot figure out how to adhere the paper to the white side of the magnet. I have tried a spray adhesive---did not work. I have tried Mod Podge---did not work. I am getting frustrated, you wouldn't think it would be this difficult. So if any one has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
matchmeonecc628303 Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 6:42:17 AM(UTC)
matchmeonecc628303

Confused I have the exact same question..what glue do I use to attach a magnet sheet to a laminated sign?
Not about to experiment with different glues, the paper is too expensive to mess up.
Hope someone knows the answer and I can get started on my project.
TY
matchmeonecc628303 Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 6:45:21 AM(UTC)
matchmeonecc628303

looks like no one has replied to Oleeka's same question so guess i better not hold my breath!
texandie57911151 Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 8:20:37 PM(UTC)
texandie57911151

A little late to the game, but couldn't you just "print" the colored image with an inkjet or photo printer and then run it thru the Cricut AFTER. I've not even cut my first image yet, but I know for a fact I can buy magnetic business cards that I can print on with my inkjet printer...probably best with a printer that is capable of printing CDs? That's MY plan when I get to that point. I can also laminate it with a laminating machine to waterproof it.