Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

rpcondon20c8e0af Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:20:58 PM(UTC)
rpcondon20c8e0af

Groups: Registered

I am completely new to Cricut. I got it for Christmas and have been exploring the possibilities. I am not much of a scrapbooker (yet - but I begin to be enticed to this area!), however I do love fabric projects. My husband got both my daughter and I each a Cricut for Christmas for the purpose of our applique projects. So as I got it out and tried it, the paper cutting was wonderful. Everything worked beautifully. When I moved over to fabric, however, it pulled it all around and made a mess. I have tried different ways to stiffen the fabric or to hold it down to the mat (like putting a piece of paper over it) with no good result. Is my Cricut Expression 2 supposed to be able to cut a simple piece of cotton or other fabric? If so, how?
Thanks.
Godot's Girl Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:09:39 PM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States
Location: Too far from the farm! MQ pg.13, #387; Circle MQ pg. 4, #98

Was thanked: 2781 time(s) in 1666 post(s)
You have to iron on fusible webbing to the fabric (like Wonder Under) in order for it to stick to the mat and cut well. Someone else who actually does fabric cutting will come by and give you more info. I have never actually done this, just know about the fusible web from reading other posts on the MB. HTH. GG
swatts66 Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:31:14 AM(UTC)
swatts66

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 1049 time(s) in 575 post(s)
I tried to cut fabric with my E2 last year. I tried a wide variety of fusible interfacing. The ones that worked the best were also the bulkiest and would not have been very comfortable to use in children's clothes. I also found that the images to cut work best when VERY basic. It there were narrow pieces (like a tail or a leg) I got much more pulling and chewing of the fabric. In addition, just ironing on the fusible webbing didn't hold up well for me. I don't really sew, so wasn't able to go around the applique with a machine, but that would have worked MUCH better. Other people reported that they had no problems cutting fabric, but that was not the case for me. I got a mini 6 months ago and I've seen people say that it cuts fabric very nicely, but I haven't tried with it. What I have discovered is the Iron on vinyl (heat transfer vinyl). The cricut cuts this like butter and I have made my granddaughter lots of cute shirts, etc. I particularly like the glitter and the flocked. The material is not bulky and if you iron it on correctly it stays. You can get lots of info on using vinyl from www.expressionsvinyl.com

I also watched lots of youtube videos for both the fabric and vinyl and those videos help a lot. Good luck with your projects.
TammyPuckett Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:26:18 AM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 330 time(s) in 191 post(s)
I use the heat bond to adhere to the back of the fabric & make sure I have a sticky mat to work with. I use my regular blade with my pressure on high & it cuts perfectly. I do have cut fabric with my Expression & with my Imagine.