Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages123>»
ScrappinGwen Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:26:12 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 834 time(s) in 650 post(s)
THIS SWAP IS NOW CLOSED AND IN PROGRESS
THIS SWAP WILL BE SECRET SISTER PARTNERS FOR NEWBIES ONLY.
NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED!
THEME BASED ON SPRING CATCH PHRASES
MAILING DUE DATE: TUESDAY, APRIL 30, 2013

I would like this swap to be an opportunity for swappers who have been swapping on the Cricut Message Board but have not had the required experience or self-confidence to join a partner swap. Long-time experienced swappers will not be able to join this thread. Consider this Partner Swapping 101 and Partner Swapping for Newbies.

This swap will consist of both homemade crafting and “buying” directives. I will list several spring catch phrase directives and you will select 10 to craft or buy and mail to your assigned secret partner by the Due Date (DD). However, at least 2 out of the 10 choices must be handmade. You can craft all 10 choices to be homemade if you so desire. Or, if you run out of time or run behind, or need this partner experience to be simpler for you, then you can buy 8 and make 2. It’s whatever works best for you – your available crafting time and your budget. Though I will admit that I hope participants will make more then they buy! It's a great way to learn some new techniques or craft outside of your comfort zone.

I personally prefer to craft more and buy less. I'd rather buy the products for myself and then use those products to craft homemade items for my partner.

However, should you choose to buy more and craft less, then please be aware that buying for 8 directives could very well cost you close to $50 (8 items at $5 each = $40), plus shipping expense. Of course, making good use of your coupons will help defray this cost! The more you are able to home craft, the easier on your budget. So it really does make more sense to opt to craft more and buy less and use some of that stash or use some of your products that you've been slowly collecting this past year.

I will be offering ideas or crafting projects to each of the directives to help out those that are having mental crafting blocks. So please don’t be afraid to ask me if you need more specifics on any of the directives or don’t be afraid to PM to ask if your idea sounds like a good idea for your partner. I’ll do my best to be helpful and give fair critique, if needed.

RULES and ADVICE FOR NEW SWAPPERS:

1. Newbies are allowed, swappers with little experience are allowed, and those that like to Flake or scam are not allowed and are not welcome.

2. Even though you may be new to crafting and swapping, I still want you to strive to craft and send projects that are neat and clean and of decent workmanship. This swap is meant to be a learning experience for you as well as gain experience in participating in a partner swap. The fun of partner swapping is learning about your partner, her likes and dislikes. Your goal is to come up with ideas that she will truly enjoy receiving. It’s fun to spy on her and see where else she posts and what she may offer about herself.

For instance, If she dislikes a red/black combo, then don’t send her a red/black project. Common sense…

Please have respect for her crafting interests.

3. Please be aware that it is important to check in at least every 10 days but especially more often in the beginning of the swap (may need to answer questions) and toward the end of the swap so that we are assured you are still around and involved and completing the swap.

Please be aware that if you go MIA for days and days, especially if you are not that familiar to me or you are new to swapping here on this MB, then we go into panic mode and think you’ve walked away and have dropped us with no explanation. And no one wants to discover the week after the DD that a swap box is not arriving to them after all. It is such a downer! It’s just so unfair and such a cruel trick to play on any fellow crafter/swapper.

So, if life events happen that keep you away from the MB for days, please find time to PM me and keep me updated. It saves on a lot of stress for all hostesses and those participating in the swap.

But also remember, we all have events in our lives that take us away from crafting and mess with our schedules – so accept that fact and deal with it and acknowledge that you will make an honest effort to follow the rules of this swap accordingly.

I can’t stress enough that it is by far easier to work on the 10 directives weekly and not wait until the last minute to fill your box. If you procrastinate and rush at the last minute, your workmanship will show that you put little thought or love into the swap box. Or, if you are the unlucky one that has a major upset the week before the DD, you are screwed if you’ve waited until the last minute to complete your swap. So, again, my best advice is to work weekly on this so that you are prepared for anything that goes wrong the last week of this swap.

Hopefully, the swap will be successful and all swap boxes will be mailed on time. But if by chance this idea of mine backfires, then I will do my best to ask for angels to step in and help out. Just be aware that if that happens, it may take extra weeks to rectify the situation – but you will receive a swap box.

Again, these swaps are meant to be fun and meant to be great learning experiences for each of us but there also is a high level of responsibility that goes hand in hand with the fun part of the swap. Please be considerate of that and show respect to your partner, to the entire group of swappers and to your hostess.

Please remember that there are so many helpful people on this Message Board and in this swap forum who will gladly offer ideas, suggestions, links, etc. when asked. That is half the fun of swapping – showing each other new ideas, new techniques, new discoveries!

4. There may be questions posted that will need to be answered. The first couple of weeks it is important that you check in more often to make sure no new questions need answering by you.

And it’s always helpful to your partner if you keep a running list of the questions and answers all in the same post.

Also, if you have a specific question for your partner, you may PM me with the question and I will, in turn, PM your partner and ask her to answer the question. Once she answers, I will PM you back.

5. There is a thread containing a Master Questionnaire that most of us have filled out and posted on that thread. If you have not filled out a MQ, it would be wise to do so now. Most of us also have listed the page info under our avatar so that our partner may find it quickly.
Link to MQ thread:

http://www.cricut.com/fo...ster-Questionnaires.aspx

6. Please PM me your mailing address as well as an alternative way to contact you – ie: email addy or cell phone number for texting you. Thanks! This way, if you can’t get on the MB, or if your computer blows up, I have alternative ways to contact you to see why you are not posting.

7. Please PM me the DC# (Delivery Confirmation No.) once your box has been mailed so that I’ll have confirmation that you have mailed and so that I can keep everyone informed of when swap boxes will start to be delivered.

A Due Date of April 30th means that I must have a Delivery Confirmation Number (DC#) showing that the box has been accepted at the Post Office no later than April 30th. Mailing can start as early as April 1st. Our goal is for every participant to have received their swap box BEFORE Mother’s Day (May 12th)

8. Once you receive your items, please acknowledge receipt on this swap thread and say thank you and post pictures in a timely manner. If you do not know how to post pictures, then please ask so that we can help you learn how to now. Everyone likes to see pictures of swap boxes as it gives us ideas for future swapping and scraplifting!

9. Please remember that communication is key in swaps and really helps your hostess to do a better job and be less stressful.

10. Last but not least – please take this opportunity to gain some partner swapping experience and have a wonderful time coming up with ideas using the catch phrases listed below! You will be amazed at yourself on how much fun it is to try thinking outside the box or to try a new technique. It will give you a great feeling of accomplishment.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 07, 2013 4:12:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScrappinGwen Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:28:46 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Here are the Directives. With such a long list, I hope you will have no problems coming up with 10 ideas that you are comfortable with.

The Directives are broken down into Five Groups. You must choose 2 directives from each Group for a total of 10 directives. You can choose any combination of craft and buy.

Please do not be afraid to ask for more details or clarification on any of the directives.

If you work on a group every couple of weeks, then you will stay on schedule and should complete the swap before the DD.

GROUP ONE:

Butterfly Garden – provide some hand crafted or store bought butterfly embellishments

There are many cricut butterfly diecuts to choose from. And remember - a little bit of shading or inking around the edges will make the diecut "pop"! Placing half pearls down the length of the body will jazz it up too. Spraying some glimmer mist on the wings also adds pizzazz.

You will also find tutorials on youtube for making ribbon butterflies.

Or, there are plenty of metal dies out there for butterfly diecuts, ie cuttlebug or cheerylynn designs.

You will find an assortment of stamps or butterfly embellies at your local craft stores too.

Upsy Daisy! – hand craft or purchase Daisy flower themed or a white themed project with a touch of yellow!

Think Pink! – 2 lengths of pink ribbon or lace.
Each length or roll of ribbon must be atleast 1 yard in length.

Kentucky Derby – think horses (diecuts, stamped images, horse paper, cowboy themed, etc.) OR alter a purse!

Spring Clean-Up – Must be something to do with organization for her crafting or scrapbooking hobby

a couple tutorials to consider:

http://stamptv.ning.com/page/freebies-2 scroll down to see the memory keeper template for the little box. I've made it several times and it is a handy box to store your photos in until you get around to scrapping them. Or nice for storing diecuts or stamped images too.

GROUP TWO:

Birds Sing, Frogs Croak, Bees Buzz… – provide at least 3 Cricut diecuts of birds, frogs or bees for your partner to use on her cards or scrapbook pages

I'm assuming everyone owns a cricut machine here, but if you do not, then you may certainly use a different diecutting machine, or request these diecuts on one of the several wishlist and RAK threads here in this swap forum. Or substitute in a similar fashion.

Diecuts must have layers and be embellished.

One Tip I have: diecuts can so easily be embellished by simply running the diecut thru your cuttlebug machine with an appropriate embossing folder. Swiss dots or the larger spots are two EF I have used in the past.

Diecutting a beehive to go along with a bee might be a nice added touch too.

April showers bring May flowers! – craft a project related to rainy days as in using a stamp that is rainy day themed or craft a project about rainboots or yellow rubber duckies.

The purchase option for this directive will be either glossy accents, UTEE, or clear embossing powder (to make raindrops shiny looking)

Cherry blossoms in the Spring! – provide/craft either oriental themed item(s) or a red/black/white project or a cherry project

Ladybug! Ladybug! – hand craft or purchase ladybugs or a themed project

Nature Walk - Must be something to do with Mother Nature

Think flowers, trees, fairies, bugs...
Think note cards, chunky charm dangles, fairies in a jar, banners, altered canvas or blocks

GROUP THREE:

Up! Up! and Away! – must be hot air balloon and/or clouds related themed

Baseball Opening Day/Spring Training – Please craft one criss-cross card and some portion of the card must use striped paper (think baseball pinstripes!)

Link to tutorial:

http://www.splitcoaststa...orials/criss_cross_card/

This type of card makes for a great giftcard holder for upcoming Father's Day, male birthday, etc. if you stick with a male theme or male color scheme.

Fire Up the Grill! - Must be something grill related or red and white checkered project

Crafting a couple recipe cards is a good option here; or picnic basket themed, ants, etc.

Earth Day – Go Green! - Purchase embellies in any shade of green

Flower Power – Craft 2 tags which must be tie dye themed

You may discover that you have some tie dye paper in your stash or you can certainly create a tie die colorful background look on each tag by using Tim Holtz inks/stains/paints, blending solution, etc.

GROUP FOUR:

Spring Break – must be beach related theme

Everything’s Coming Up Flowers! Think flowers and gardening!

Here's a link to a flower pot card tutorial:

http://www.splitcoaststa...torials/flowerpotpocket/

Fishing Camp – Must be all about fishing or camping

Dress for Spring – craft at least 2 paper dolls, or Teddy Bear Parade bears, teen paper dolls, characters from Disney Princesses or Toy Story, etc. from one of the several Cricut cartridges

Diecut paperdolls should be 3.5 or 4 inches tall; they should be dressed appropriately (spring colors preferred or what your partner may find more useful); and including an embellishment or two also preferred.

Bloom Where You Are Planted – Alter a frame, using this Verse or using the word "FAMILY"

GROUP FIVE:

Mother’s Day surprise – purchase a special Mother’s Day gift for your partner to be no more than $10 expense. Reviewing her MQ will give you an idea of what she is wishing for.

Seeds of Kindness – please craft 3 Thank You cards for your partner

A2 size cards; front panel must have atleast 2 layers of paper; and some ribbon, lace, border punch strip of paper must also be included on the front panel; as well as the word "Thank You".

Pearls and Lace – Project of your choice, but must be vintage themed, using pearls and lace

Love Blossoms – Craft 5 inchies or 5 Twinchies or combo of both, themed around Love or hearts or love birds, OR a theme your partner loves about Spring!

inchie = a one inch square, embellished.
twinchie - a two inch square, embellished.

Here is an example of a striking MALE card using inchies. How perfect when you don't want to use ribbons and flowers!
http://www.splitcoaststa...2316588?&limit=last1

Springtime Baby Animals – think cuddly and fuzzy as in cute little duckies, lambs, bunnies, and calves

Diecuts would be one option here. Using velvet paper or flock would make them super special looking! But you are free to choose any craft project to make for this directive, just be sure to use a springtime baby animal. Altering something would be fun!

Another option could be to make some kind of treat holder to fill with her fav. treat and embellish using one of the springtime baby animals.

Edited by user Monday, January 28, 2013 3:16:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScrappinGwen Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:31:29 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Participants:

1. PennyDigioia received from Lauraa, pics posted
3. STW receiving from Kazalah, pics posted
4. Lauraa received from Penny, pics posted
6. kazalah received from STW, pics posted

2. OHscrappylady01855145 removed from swap on May 1st for lack of communication on DD
5. NotGoingGreyGracefully removed from swap on May 7th as she did not mail out a box as per agreement of giving her an extra week. No communication from her either on the 6th or 7th to explain. Plus there was next to no communication from her the month of April

April RAK challenges won:

1. 1st to post a sneak peek from Group 1 and receive craft from hostess: Kazalah

2. 1st to post which directive was the most fun to make is the winner! Lauraa

3. 1st to post a sneak peek from Group 2: Kazalah

Edited by user Sunday, May 19, 2013 12:49:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked ScrappinGwen for this useful post.
NotGoingGreyGracefully on 1/23/2013(UTC)
ScrappinGwen Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:32:47 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Running list of questions for participants to answer:

Remember, your partner may not always be able to follow all your choices to a T, but the more she has a feel for you, the better she will do coming up with some ideas. In other words, if you stay neutral and say, I like anything, I like all colors, I don't care what I receive...then 1) you make it harder for her to come up with a unique idea and spoil you and 2) you surely can't complain about anything you receive if you don't help her out some. So don't be negative when your box arrives if you hate black and she sends black and you didn't tell her this!

But, having said all that....I do recognize that we are classifying this as a newbie swap and levels of crafting may be at different levels. So don't only ask for a cadillac or corvette....you have to give some other options too so she can succeed.

1. Do you have a favorite color or color combo?

2. Is there a color combo that you honestly do not care for and avoid when crafting for yourself?

3. Recognizing that this is a spring themed swap - are there certain colors you prefer or do not prefer that fall under the spring colors theme?

ie: hate pink, love pink; love pastels, really don't like pastels so go with brighter rainbow colors

4. Have you ever altered a paper mache or tin or chipboard purse?

5. Have you ever received an altered purse?

6. Would you find birds, frogs, bees or bugs more useful in your future crafting projects?

7. Do you have a favorite style of crafting?

ie: simple, vintage, steampunk, modern, shabby chic, girly, grunge, etc.

8. Or, is there a style of crafting you'd be interested in receiving if your partner has experience with it and enjoys that style herself.

9. Do you want items to use on scrapbook pages or cards or both?

(I ask this as some of us only do one or the other and the size of the embellishment or length of a ribbon strip could make a difference)

10. The directives are pretty specific in this round but if there is something you really do not wish to receive, then mention it here please.

ie: Some people may not want mini albums, altered notebooks, tins, things that hang or are displayed on a counter(lack of space) etc. or you may have been doing several rounds of the chunky charm dangle swaps and would prefer to receive something different.

11. Do you get your photos printed out and lying around in a pile, waiting to be scrapped?

12. Do you have a favorite flower, particularly a favorite spring flower?

13. Do you use glossy accents? Do you use UTEE or embossing powders that you heat?

14. Would you enjoy or have a use for anything beach themed?

15. Do you have a craft room or special area? If so, is there a color theme or style theme for the room?

16. This would be a good place to mention something that really interests you.

For instance, you might wish to receive Tim Holtz products or techniques as he continues to be a major crafting fad. Or if you are noticing something in other swaps, whether it be a technique or a craft project....and you'd like to receive one...mention it. Even if it doesn't happen in this round...it's something for the rest of us to discover about you in future swaps.

17. Regarding the paperdoll directive - list some choices that you would find most useful to receive.

ie: a boy paperdoll dressed in baseball clothes; a girl paperdoll dressed in swimsuit; a teen doll dressed in a certain color and funky clothes; or even one of the princesses from the Disney cartridges or one of the characters from Toy Story cartridge, etc.

18. What do you LOVE most about spring???

ie: butterflies, a certain flower popping up, the sunny, warmer days, etc.

Edited by user Sunday, January 27, 2013 7:34:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PennyDiGioia Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:26:29 AM(UTC)
PennyDiGioia

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I think I would like to join. I have been involved in a few other simple swaps, but this seems like it could be fun. I will fill out the master questionare and post the location soon.
ScrappinGwen Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:31:47 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

That's perfect reason to join Penny!

It's meant to be a confidence booster and a way to gain experience in a one-on-one type of swap - plus it's just good ole fun too!
planlady19 Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 2:22:40 PM(UTC)
planlady19

United States

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 267 post(s)
Gwen this is a great idea.. I was lucky when I started to get with a great group of people that helped me along the way.

So please for anyone who is thinking about this swap just jump in.. Gwen is a great hostess and will be a wonderful experience for you.

Partner swaps are a lot of fun and I have made some really great friends and learned so much along the way..

terri
JeanP Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 2:52:28 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Was thanked: 969 time(s) in 781 post(s)
Originally Posted by: planlady19 Go to Quoted Post
Gwen this is a great idea.. I was lucky when I started to get with a great group of people that helped me along the way.

So please for anyone who is thinking about this swap just jump in.. Gwen is a great hostess and will be a wonderful experience for you.

Partner swaps are a lot of fun and I have made some really great friends and learned so much along the way..

terri

I so agree with Terri!!!!
Perfect way for beginners to get their feet wetBigGrin I was so lacking in confidence and would have LOVED to have had one of these "newbie" swaps to help me get started in partner swaps. I had NO idea on what to make, not much creativity and I certainly lacked knowledge of different techniques.

OHscrappylady01855145 Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 3:13:48 PM(UTC)
OHscrappylady01855145

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Oh this sounds like a blast, I would love to join!!!!
ScrappinGwen Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 3:28:24 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Thanks Teri and Jean!

I agree with both of you that it would have been a lot easier if there had been swaps that offered some assistance in what to make or how to make it, etc. But back when I joined we were all pretty much new at this and new with the cricut machine...so we were all in the same boat, trying to figure it all out. It was a lot of work and research, but always fun!

Plus there were some fun fads 3-5 years ago that were fun to craft and we've gotten away from them so wouldn't it be nice to re-do some of them for those new to this Swap Forum?

I hope more of you will consider this swap and join in for the fun!

STW Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:56:57 PM(UTC)
STW

United States

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 81 post(s)
I'll join! I've participated in several "simple swaps" but this will be my first partner swap. Will pm you my info. Thank you so much for hostessing this - will definitely help me build up the 'ol confidence!

Sharon
ScrappinGwen Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:39:57 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

I'm so glad to see you joining Sharon. This should be great for you!
lauraa Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 6:58:23 AM(UTC)
lauraa

Was thanked: 233 time(s) in 196 post(s)
This sounds great!
I've done many cut swaps, and the altered ticket one.
I'd like to join in group 2, If we get to choose that is...
I will not be able to join if I need to purchase much of anything though.
Please let me know.
Thank you!
Laura

Sorry, didnt read the directions close enough.....
2 from each group and make or purchase 10 items.
Yes, I would like to join!

questionaire page 14 post 411

Edited by user Monday, January 21, 2013 9:24:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScrappinGwen Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 9:52:48 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Yep, you can make all 10 items, which is the way I personally would go...or maybe buy one thing if I run behind. lol

Thanks for joining
SherrieStevens Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 12:21:00 PM(UTC)
SherrieStevens

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 144 post(s)
I would like to join. Thanks Sherrie

I do have experience with partner swaps is that still ok. If not that's fine

Edited by user Monday, January 21, 2013 12:27:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScrappinGwen Offline
#16 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 2:10:45 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

You are fine joining this swap Sherrie. Thanks for joining.
ScrappinGwen Offline
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:34:59 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

btt for more participants to join!
STW Offline
#18 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:10:20 PM(UTC)
STW

United States

BTT!!!
fiftyshadesofpaper2d67d4ed Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:58:33 PM(UTC)
fiftyshadesofpaper2d67d4ed

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi I would love to join this swap! I am definitely new to this site (very new) and therefore am new to swaps here. I am not new to crafting in the least bit and have participated in face to face swaps (never with an unhappy partner) but since all these types of sites I have found recently seem to be very wary of people not fulfilling their obligations I (as a new person with no track record) have been afraid to ask to join, so this is perfect for me.ThumpUp

Anna

But I should say that I live in Montreal, Canada

Is that ok?

I will look for and fill in that master questionnaire tomorrow if my membership in this swap is approved

Edited by user Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:02:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NotGoingGreyGracefully Offline
#20 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:37:15 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Was thanked: 801 time(s) in 451 post(s)
May I join?? I'm doing my first partner swap now, and I'm not sure I'm doing too well. I like all the options and advice given for each week. If I keep up, this would be pretty simple, but lots of fun! Doing an organizing challenge, and don't have too much room to set up my cricut, but I'll manage something!

NGGG

Edited by user Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:44:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: misspelling

ScrappinGwen Offline
#21 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:25:42 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Originally Posted by: fiftyshadesofpaper2d67d4ed Go to Quoted Post

But I should say that I live in Montreal, Canada

Anna, the only way I can set you up with a partner is if someone decides to join that is also from Canada. Obviously you wouldn't be secret partners, but atleast it would keep the shipping expense fair to each of you. You have to understand that mailing out a box with 10 crafted items in it would take a box, not a small package or envelope...so it would just be too expensive for someone in USA to mail to you in Canada and vice versa. Plus there would be no way to track the package and mail usually takes so much extra time that it would also be unfair in that regard too. I'm really sorry to sound so negative but it's just my past experiences here speaking.

So let's see what transpires between now and the next few days....but chances are you won't be able to join this type of swap under the situation.
STW Offline
#22 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:16:38 AM(UTC)
STW

United States

btt
PennyDiGioia Offline
#23 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:10:54 AM(UTC)
PennyDiGioia

btt
planlady19 Offline
#24 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:20:42 AM(UTC)
planlady19

United States

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 267 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotGoingGreyGracefully Go to Quoted Post
May I join?? I'm doing my first partner swap now, and I'm not sure I'm doing too well. I like all the options and advice given for each week. If I keep up, this would be pretty simple, but lots of fun! Doing an organizing challenge, and don't have too much room to set up my cricut, but I'll manage something!

NGGG

If you are having trouble with something you can always pm and ask questions by one of the "older" swappers.. and notice I quoted that because I am not meaning ages here..LOL So if there is something I can do to help you on your current swap even if it is just to bounce an idea off of someone send me a pm and I will be glad to answer.

Terri
 2 users thanked planlady19 for this useful post.
lauraa on 1/25/2013(UTC), NotGoingGreyGracefully on 1/25/2013(UTC)
ScrappinGwen Offline
#25 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 5:59:23 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Thank you Terri for offering your help!

She's so right! THere are so many here that will gladly help you out if you just ask. And most of us that have been here for some time are more then glad to give you kind suggestions on what you might try to step up your project a notch or two. You have to remember that it benefits all of us down the road in other swaps the more we get everyone stepping up their game and joining more swaps so that there are more of choices to partner with. It's fun to have new partners!

So it's all good!
lauraa on 1/25/2013(UTC)
lauraa Offline
#26 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 6:03:45 AM(UTC)
lauraa

Was thanked: 233 time(s) in 196 post(s)
I'm excited to get started. This will be a real challenge for me and so much fun! I'll probably be asking lots of questions.
Laura
NotGoingGreyGracefully Offline
#27 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 8:03:07 AM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Was thanked: 801 time(s) in 451 post(s)
Sooo.....
When do we start crafting? Do we find out who we are partnered with, and then look them up on the MQ list, or just start doing some generic stuff? I'll reread the OP but I don't remember seeing how it all starts, after the sign ups. Remember, I don't know what I'm doing..LOL LOL LOL
PennyDiGioia Offline
#28 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 8:33:29 AM(UTC)
PennyDiGioia

I'm pretty excited too. All these ideas are in my head and I have to admit I have started working on a few things if only for practice.
JeanP Offline
#29 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 9:29:11 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Was thanked: 969 time(s) in 781 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotGoingGreyGracefully Go to Quoted Post
Sooo.....
When do we start crafting? Do we find out who we are partnered with, and then look them up on the MQ list, or just start doing some generic stuff? I'll reread the OP but I don't remember seeing how it all starts, after the sign ups. Remember, I don't know what I'm doing..LOL LOL LOL

Advice from an "oldy" as Terri would say.LOL

I usually look thru all the directives and then jot down ideas as they come to me for each one and cross off the ones I really don't want to doBigGrinI do try and keep some things that I have never made before so I can learn new.
Don't just pick out the things that will be the easiest for you to makeBigGrin Go out of your comfort zone and try the ones that seem harder. That is the best way to learn!!!!!!

Once I get my partner, then I check their MQ and also look at questions the hostess usually asks for everyone to answer. Like what is your favorite color combo, style, etc.

Then I try and personalize everything for her. It makes it so much nicer to receive an item made expecially for you.

Don't stress-have funLOL

Edited by user Friday, January 25, 2013 9:35:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked JeanP for this useful post.
NotGoingGreyGracefully on 1/25/2013(UTC)
ScrappinGwen Offline
#30 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 11:22:04 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

That's great that some of you are starting to study the directives and put some ideas together or practice making one item or another!

I thought I would leave this swap open thru the weekend just in case there was someone still trying to decide on whether to join or not.

Once I figure there is no more interest to join, then I will close and assign partners. I will PM each of you with your partner's name and mailing addy.

So, except for STW, the rest of you all need to PM me your contact info please.

And I think one of you may have sent me your info but I accidently deleted it before I added it to my paperwork. I apologize but this MB sometimes goes screwy and does weird things!

I broke down the directives into 5 Groups as I thought it would work out easier for all involved.

Easier on me to concentrate on just 5 directives each 10 days or so. I plan on having some discussions, tips, or tricks, throwing ideas back and forth, posting some examples or some links. Anything to jump start your creative minds and get you to either go outside your comfort zone or to realize that with a simple addition to your project, it can go from ordinary to "wow" factor.

Something as simple as choosing a paper with texture or adding texture to it....or inking/shading the edges of a diecut makes all the difference in the world!

Plus I promise that others will be stopping by to post their thoughts too. As Terri and Jean have already started to do. Others will join in too. That way you won't just get my one-sided view of what I think looks best. We each have our own style, for sure!

Jean did a great job above explaining to you how she proceeds. I basically do the same. I keep a paper by my computer with the directives printed out so I can jot down ideas as they cross my brain. Sometimes you see something on a blog while you are surfing. Sometimes you see your partner post something and a lightbulb goes off with a neat idea. I think the more you do partner swaps, the easier it gets to come up with these ideas designed specifically to your partner's interest.

I need to gather up some questions for you all to answer and we will get to that soon - by beginning of week, if not sooner.

Who knows...now that I see you all are excited to get started...it makes me excited too and then I'm all gun ho to get some questions posted.

NotGoingGreyGracefully on 1/25/2013(UTC)