Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

terihans04ffb08059 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:15:06 PM(UTC)
terihans04ffb08059

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'd like to know what the difference between the Cricut Craft Room and the Cricut Design Studio is please.

Thanks
Teri
Dragonfly50 Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:52:40 AM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1221 time(s) in 728 post(s)
The Cricut Design Studio is a program you purchase and download to your computer.
You do not need to be online to use it.
It is an old program that will no longer have updates but PC still updates the cartridge list.

Cricut Craft Room is a free online program.
You have to be online AND have a Cricut.com account to access it.

I have both and haven't used CDS for a long time.
It would take my CDS 20 minutes to open.

Having to be online to design and cut can be a pain but I like CCR.

I can go online at work during my break and design with it which is a plus.
There is an online only version that you can design with that doesn't have to have anything downloaded to your computer but it is a design only option.
We are not allowed to download anything to our work computers.
I design with it, save the info to my account and cut with my own computer and machine when I get home.

Hope this helps.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
You can PM me.

D-

Edited by user Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:54:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: fix error

Olivia'sNana Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:54:21 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 885 time(s) in 422 post(s)
I used CDS since I purchased my E in 2006 or 2007 up until ccr was available. I have used CCR since they introduced it to the public after beta. Although I would prefer not being tied to the internet to be able to use it, I would use CCR over CDS any day. I may have opened my CDS once since the introduction of CCR and that was only to use a file I had saved on it. CCR in my opinion is muuuuch easier to use and has so much more ability than CDS. I just wish they would make it a purchasable program that didn't require internet. CCR has come a long way since first introduction and in my opinion most of the bugs have been worked out. I have very little problems with it.

The only thing that comes to mind that cds is superior over ccr is the ability to lay an image partly outside the cutting area and it will still cut that part that is on the mat. In CCR, you cannot do that.

The hide contour is much easier to use in CCR and the copy and paste feature functions better. In CDS, again if I remember correctly, you can not hide contour in a copied/paste image, only an original. And if you save a file, I remember something about the hide contour copy/paste would not be saved in CDS - you would have to redo it. Don't remember exactly the issue there, been so long.

In CCR, the design orientation is the same as the way you insert your mat into the machine (arrow points to top). CDS is the design orientation is arrow points left. This makes it confusing, at least for me when you are trying to orientate different papers to match your virtual design.

If you have neither and you have access to internet, I would recommend you try ccr before purchasing CDS. CDS is a much outdated program and as the previous poster stated, it is as good as it is going to get because they no longer do enhancements to it.

Couple other things i thought of - The image search, although not perfect is more user friendly and you get more reliable results in CCR. Also every cart is available to see and if you own it, use in ccr. CCR works with all the cricut machines even the I and cds works only with the original Expression. (as to the smaller original machines, i'm not sure about what works with what) In CDS, they update eventually to add the newer carts but not sure if there is any rhyme or reason as to when they do that. Because there are so many carts to load, it takes forever to open cds.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:09:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

terihans04ffb08059 Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:04:26 AM(UTC)
terihans04ffb08059

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks so much for the very helpful replies!