Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

gkosakowskiec97a716 Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:48:14 AM(UTC)
gkosakowskiec97a716

Groups: Registered

Does anyone have idea's on if we can replace the adhesive on the mats instead of just throwing them away and buying new? Just wanted to know and try to recycle it somehow. Thank you.
Maxluv Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:36:52 PM(UTC)
Maxluv

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 482 time(s) in 369 post(s)
I have been using Aleene's Tack it OVer and over it mixed with water and paint it on the mat after i wash it (the mat) is does work for awhile. There are other posts where others have done something similar.
blondolphn Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:47:35 PM(UTC)
blondolphn

United States

Was thanked: 5291 time(s) in 956 post(s)
I've used the Zip 2 way glue. But it can be too sticky when first dry.

I will caution you though it is not recommended by Provo Craft to resticky your mats as it can void your warranty. The glue can come off the mat and stick to the rollers or other parts of the machine. That being said, there are some tricks you can do prior to regluing your mat. Some people like to use baby wipes on their mats. I like to use hot water and some soap to help clean off the mat. That usually extends the life of the mat for me before it becomes too unsticky.
Shelly.Mc.2012641bb84a Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:00:52 PM(UTC)
Shelly.Mc.2012641bb84a

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My name is Shelly. I just started using my Cricut, my husband gave me for Christmas this year and I love, love my mini! I cut daily.

I have found a couple of tricks to extend the life of my sticky mat.

1) I take an old "sturdy" credit card or gift card and scrap my mat before placing my paper on it. The mat tends to pick up a lot of fuzzy lint from using verious types of paper. I do use some controled presure but I only scrape over the same area once or twice to get the desired results. I always cover my mat with it's original clear plastic sheet while not using it. Dust and dirt also tends to stick to the mat.

2) I have used warm heat to bring back much of the trackiness. Warming it with a hair dryer works well. I never use high heat or high power. I want to maintain the integrity of the mat itself and worry the high power or high heat will cause the mat to become brittle. The glue seems to like the warmth because the mat gets nice and tacky after. Once the mat is warmed up I quickly place my paper on it. other wise, once the air cools it down, it loses its strength.

I have heard someone using a two-way glue pen by making tiny random dots over the surface. They said to space the dots between 2" to 4" inches apart and only use this method sparenly. I dont want to mess with this possibility, especially since I get great results with my two suggestions.

Hope this helps!

Shelly
From one newby to another :-)
Shelly.Mc.2012641bb84a Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:13:40 PM(UTC)
Shelly.Mc.2012641bb84a

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
PS. This is Shelly again. Here's another trick I learned but for a completely different issue. I thought I'd throw it in the pile just the same lol.

When my blade seems to get dull, ripping at some of the designs as it cuts. I keep some glitter or glittery cardstock on hand. I will cut the entire paper up with designs I can use later. I have found the friction or the sandy, grittiness of the glitter paper tends to sharpen my blade and then I'm good for a while longer. I haven't had the chance to purchase new blades. This keeps me cutting until then. Who knew?

Hope this is bennificial to all who read me post :-)
 3 users thanked Shelly.Mc.2012641bb84a for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 2/9/2013(UTC), chandler_randi0010fb22 on 2/10/2013(UTC), danit13151b71a18b on 2/24/2013(UTC)
Olivia'sNana Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 6:35:41 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 914 time(s) in 448 post(s)
Even when you think you are ready lose all hope for the mats ability to serve it's intended use, turn it over and use it as a work surface to glue, glitter, cut. There is still enough sticky left (maybe) that it keeps it from sliding around on your work surface while you get a little more extended use from the back. It can take a little more abuse before sending it to file 13.

I have even read where ladies will cut them up and use for stabilizers in purses, bags and such when a sturdy reenforcement is needed in a project. I haven't had the need to do this for myself but seems like the material would be perfect for this.
 1 user thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
blondolphn on 2/2/2013(UTC)
blondolphn Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 6:42:49 AM(UTC)
blondolphn

United States

Was thanked: 5291 time(s) in 956 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Olivia'sNana Go to Quoted Post
Even when you think you are ready lose all hope for the mats ability to serve it's intended use, turn it over and use it as a work surface to glue, glitter, cut. There is still enough sticky left (maybe) that it keeps it from sliding around on your work surface while you get a little more extended use from the back. It can take a little more abuse before sending it to file 13.

I have even read where ladies will cut them up and use for stabilizers in purses, bags and such when a sturdy reenforcement is needed in a project. I haven't had the need to do this for myself but seems like the material would be perfect for this.

That would be perfect for replacing the bottoms in my grocery bags! Thanks for the ideas.
Orchidlady505508d216 Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 4:14:13 PM(UTC)
Orchidlady505508d216

I have restuck my mat over and over - i have NEVER had any problem with it sticking to anything in my machine - for heavens sake what are some of you using! LOL - I use the Wide glue that is blue and turns clear - can't think of the name right now. Also bought some Aleens tack it over and over but have not redone with that yet - Mainly you have to let it dry - do it at the end of the day and let it dry all night -if it is too sticky take you hands and put them all over - the oil from your hands will make it less sticky -
rdzbenskie427afc6 Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:03:56 AM(UTC)
rdzbenskie427afc6

I would like to know if anyone has trouble with the newer mats? My old mat is still ok..it seems like a thicker plastic..and for some reason, it still sticks pretty well. I bought new mats which I can't get the paper to stick! Keeps moving around while cutting. Very frustrating. Is there something with the new mats that you are supposed to do?
CraftyMichelle Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:23:30 AM(UTC)
CraftyMichelle

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 34 post(s)
My mat is very new and i had to restick it once so far. I use the Zig 2 glue stick which i really like. Its really sticky at first and all i do is put my hand on it a couple times to take some of the sticky away.
Dragonfly50 Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:06:53 PM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1221 time(s) in 728 post(s)
rdzbenskie427afc6 and CraftyMichelle

Do the "new" mats you are using have Cricut across the middle?

You may have purchased some of the older ones that are still out on the market.

There have been a few released and some of them do not work well. (One of them was AWFUL!!!)

Mat #1 has a green edge all around and the middle is white. Provo Craft is written in white and Cricut is written in green in the top left hand corner. (These worked really well for me but some people had issues with them)

Mat #2 has a white edge all around, has a black line around just outside the measurements and has a green middle. Cricut is written in green in the upper left corner and the lower right corner. (These are the mats nearly everyone has had issues with. Many places are still selling them. They lost their sticky with just a few uses or didn't have enough to start with)

Mat #3 has a white edge all around, has a black line around just outside the measurements and has a green middle. Cricut is written in in huge white letters across the middle of the mat.
(These are the newest PC has come out with and I love them. I have not heard any bad reviews on these newer mats.

These are the mats you want to buy. (#3)

I suggest you try returning the mats that do not work for you.
If they won't take them back I suggest you call customer service.

I had some of the #2 ones and PC replaced them for me.

Hope this helps.
A bad mat makes a bad crafting experience for me.
D-

Edited by user Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:08:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

katuska710d8ab949 Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:59:48 PM(UTC)
katuska710d8ab949

My name is Kat and I have had my Cricut for a few months now, and I have to had to restick the mat just a couple of times. I have used the warm water with soap and blow-dryer effect and it has worked out great for me. After I clean it with warm soapy water and then I blow-dry the mat and I put the plastic mat cover so it doesn't lose its stickiness, until I need to use it. ThumbDown I have seen a few ladies that would put spray can adhesive on theirs... I am just to afraid to put any adhesive on it... for fear voiding the warranty. Mad I would rather use soap and water before I spray anything on my mat and voiding out the warranty! I haven't been on much lately because we moved in November and I haven't been feeling the greatest too! ttyl~ katSmile