Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Polarbearla Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:02:31 PM(UTC)
Polarbearla

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I am 2 1/2 years behind in our scrapbook and I really want to get caught up. I am half done with our 2010 pictures and I have all of 2011 and all of 2012 yet to scrapbook. I usually put two years in each scrapbook. My son also just graduated from Cub Scouts and will be moving onto Boy Scouts and so I have been saving all the Cub Scout pictures to put them in a special album.

So, essentially I have 2 and a half albums to complete and am feeling really overwhelmed.

Any tips or ideas on what to do?

Any tools or ideas to make things go faster? My birthday is coming up so any ideas on things to buy to help me be organized or to get these scrapbooks finished would be great!

I do enjoy scrapbooking but I am feeling a bit paralyzed with being so behind that I haven't done any for several months!

Edited by user Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:04:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CindyAdamson Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 2:02:57 PM(UTC)
CindyAdamson

Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 126 post(s)
Have you heard of Project Life? It's super fast and simple, especially for catching up. I think its just projectlife.com but I'm not positive on that. If you Google it its usually the first site to come up
Lab~BLAB Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 2:18:14 PM(UTC)
Lab~BLAB

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Well IMO scrapbooking is a journey of memory making and history keeping. I dont consider myself behind but find it to be a process in creating and documenting history for my family to look back on. Yes I like to keep current but I also find myself going back to older pictures remembering things I forgot and making a layout with pictures that are old. Enjoy the process, dont put that much pressure on yourself.
I have found my origional scrapbox to be the perfect organizer and it has helped me organize everything I own so that I can use it and access it when I want to work on a layout.
If you want to purchase something I have found that to be worth the investment

NotGoingGreyGracefully Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 3:41:04 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 801 time(s) in 451 post(s)
I've found the only tool that helps when I'm feeling overwhelmed with pictures is the Creative Memories Power Layouts technique. They have a Power Layouts box you can buy with instructions, but you can just do it with blank pages or page protectors. Here's what you do.

Lay out 30 foundations, preferably all in one space. I've used my bed, the floor and gone down one side of the hallway. These can be anything you have a bunch of that are the same size as your pages.

Now select the pictures for each page, in order, and place them on your foundations. Next select colored paper and diecuts (I usually start with the diecuts because that determines my colors) and place paper on each foundation with the pictures. Do this as quickly as you can, don't obsess about making the perfect choice. You will have two chances to change this. Do all 30 pages at once.

Then add any decorative elements, such as stickers, ribbons, brads, flowers, etc., that need to go on the page. This makes it easy to use your stuff. I would never poke around in my stickers to see if I have anything when I am only doing one page, but to scan through my stickers for 30 pages is totally worth it. Like wise, go through all your embellies, adding them to your foundations all at once for all 30 pages.

Now stack them up (carefully!!) with the last page on the bottom. Put them in some kind of box that will keep everything together (like the Power Layouts box if you do 12 x 12). Now whenever you have 15 minutes or so, you can open the box and do the page (or 2-page spread) that is on top without having to drag out all your supplies. If you do a page a day, that's 30 pages in a month!!

HTH

3 users thanked NotGoingGreyGracefully for this useful post.
blondolphn on 2/3/2013(UTC), CloeTzu on 2/5/2013(UTC), LovelyLady on 2/7/2013(UTC)
Soshescraps Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 3:53:56 PM(UTC)
Soshescraps

United States

Was thanked: 1113 time(s) in 882 post(s)
Everyone has great suggestions. What I usually do are the albums made easy by we r memory keepers. They include photo pocket pages along with 12 by 12 pages as well. I make one 12 by 12 to introduce the section of pictures (vacation, birthday etc), then put the rest of the pictures in the photo pockets. You can still add embellishments to the outside of the page protector and make journaling cards to stick in the photo sleeves.

They come in so many great configurations that you will still find yourself making layouts but in much smaller sizes. I also use Simple stories and now echo park and american crafts has a line of product with a very similar approach. I prefer to use the three ring binders but the we r memory keepers also makes the page protectors for post bound albums as well.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
NJsharon Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 4:25:04 PM(UTC)
NJsharon

Was thanked: 409 time(s) in 248 post(s)
Are you opposed to digital? For someone behind with scrapbooking I always say to try the digital as that is great on getting pages done quick!

CTMH has Studio J, which is a free online program where you can simply drag & drop the photos into 'photo wells', journal in the 'journalling boxes' & then when you are ready you just pay to print them off.

The quality is outstanding in the printing, they really look layered.

You can also add a brad or some ribbon here & there afterwards for added dimension if you wanted?!

Not sure I am allowed to post my link here to my website, but if you contact me I can certainly direct you to my page where you can play for free. You only pay when you want to print them off & are ready to do that. Oh & there is a special only for February, $5 for each double layout! So only $2.50 a single page, great value!

My other tip, if you only want to do traditional scrapping is to go to crop days or if possible a cropping weekend. I do those at least once every 2 months & am pretty much up to date, you get so much done at those days or weekends & it is fun too!!!

MommaG Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 4:29:26 PM(UTC)
MommaG

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I would start current and work back the 2 years. When I have tried working from behind to current, it seemed like an overwhelming task. And therefore would have a hard time getting started.

Whatever the process, enjoy the trip down memory lane as you catch upBigGrin
blondolphn Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 4:37:00 PM(UTC)
blondolphn

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5314 time(s) in 959 post(s)
I did a similar process to what nothing suggested. I was able to get caught up on a scrapbook in a month and got my pictures out of a shoebox. I have the option of going back and adding more details if I really want, but happy with my finished product.
Leanner Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 7:09:08 PM(UTC)
Leanner

Was thanked: 1584 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
I like project Life as well. Becky Higgins has many of them at her website (beckyhiggins.com). It is sold currently at Amazon.com but other retailers should start carrying them in May.

Also, let go of the notion of being "caught up" and just work on what you enjoy. Not everything needs to be in a layout. Don't let that notion make you from enjoying your hobby.
troymimi75dc940a6f Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 7:28:07 PM(UTC)
troymimi75dc940a6f

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I was also way behind, still kind of am. I just started with the current year and set the other to the side. As I would scrap, if I was caught up on the current year I would grab the older one and try to get some of it done.

I also made a new years resolution last year to do a page a day. It really worked great while I kept it up. What killed it was that summers are so short up here that I really don't do much scrapping in the summer, to busy being outside.

Good luck!
joyfullycrafting Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 9:26:07 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1507 time(s) in 1200 post(s)
Sigh. I will never be caught up. Sigh.
Scrapperdee Offline
#12 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 9:40:55 AM(UTC)
Scrapperdee

Canada

Was thanked: 4215 time(s) in 2418 post(s)
If that's all I was behind, I'd be dancing a jig! I'm also working on 2010 & still have 2011-2012 waiting...BUT I also have 500+ photos each from several trips we took between 2002 & now (Hawaii, Toronto, Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria, 2 trips to Arizona.....and our 2001 honeymoon photos)!

What got me through my DS's 1st year photos (2 albums) & our wedding photos (2 albums) was I chose just a few colors/ patterns so there was no thinking involved. I also kept it simple & clean & consistent. I was able to whip them off quickly - to some, they may be boring, but I like that they are classic & it emphasizes the photos, which was my goal on these particular events.

Of course, that was pre-cricut.

Good luck & try not to let it overwhelm you. I have a goal to only be 2 years behind @ DS's birthday. I've been doing pretty well until this year...I'll officially be 3 years behind by the middle of March. Blushing

Scrapperdee Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 9:56:38 AM(UTC)
Scrapperdee

Canada

Was thanked: 4215 time(s) in 2418 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotGoingGreyGracefully Go to Quoted Post
I've found the only tool that helps when I'm feeling overwhelmed with pictures is the Creative Memories Power Layouts technique. They have a Power Layouts box you can buy with instructions, but you can just do it with blank pages or page protectors. Here's what you do.

Now stack them up (carefully!!) with the last page on the bottom. Put them in some kind of box that will keep everything together (like the Power Layouts box if you do 12 x 12). Now whenever you have 15 minutes or so, you can open the box and do the page (or 2-page spread) that is on top without having to drag out all your supplies. If you do a page a day, that's 30 pages in a month!!

HTH

I kind of do this in my own way. I pick the photos I want to scrap, design cricut cuts, pick background paper(s). Then I make all my cuts & put them, plus any other embellishments with photos in envelope. Put envelope with all paper together in a 12x12 paper holder. I also try to determine the layout @ this point & draw a sketch & have photos cropped & ready to go. I often embellish cuts @ this point too.

I stack as many as I can in the holder & they are ready for when I have time to assemble @ a crop. I can often whip off 8 or more double page layoffs in a 7 hr crop (which includes time to eat & chat).
GrammyCris Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 10:10:56 AM(UTC)
GrammyCris

Was thanked: 1180 time(s) in 551 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MommaG Go to Quoted Post
I would start current and work back the 2 years. When I have tried working from behind to current, it seemed like an overwhelming task. And therefore would have a hard time getting started.

Whatever the process, enjoy the trip down memory lane as you catch upBigGrin

I have to totally agree that this is the best suggestion....I started scrapbooking after becoming a grandmother....that put me at about 30 years behind on my kids books! I was so overwhelmed that all I ever worked on was my travels (I worked for a travel agency and had a lot of trips to scrap)....after completing 4 big albums I started thinking of the kids books....several people told me to work backwards but I thought it made more sense to start at the beginning...so I was right back to overwhelmed...where was the beginning! Finally after a year or two of getting nowhere I started with current and began working backwards! It worked! It made more sense plus I was getting pages done that I still had fresh memories of what they were!
Di&Co Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 10:29:55 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 22335 time(s) in 5448 post(s)
Wish I had your problem! BigGrin I have years to do of just my boys and dh and I. Then I inherited my dad's family photos and now my moms. Im going digi for my mom and dad's and will continue to do them up with paper for the remainder. My problem? I work full time and Im tired when I get home. Lots to do on weekends, I have a family so I do what I can.

Good luck!
Sunflowerbuggy Offline
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 12:11:48 AM(UTC)
Sunflowerbuggy

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
LOL ROFLMBO LOL I don't think we're supposed to get caught up...scrapbooking is a life's sentenceScared Don't read me wrong I absolutely LOVE it. But I have 39yrs. of teen and adult life to do,plus 5 kids ages 39-18 and no baby books yetBlushing I envy all you who are only 2-3yrs behind. I started this scrap journey in 1998 and I do have several albums(none finishedBlink )but I will have to STOP taking photos and just scrap for the next 30yrs to be 2yrs. behind Flapper You all have some great ideas and tools I didn't know about for fast-scrappin so I think I may try some. ThumpUp
Sandy Offline
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:04:50 AM(UTC)
Sandy

United States

Was thanked: 6256 time(s) in 2509 post(s)
Creative Memories has a line of albums called PicFolio. You just slide in your pictures, decorate one insert per page....or not...whichever you prefer. Good way to get them in albums so people can look at them. Then you can concentrate on doing this years albums the way you want.

http://www.creativememories.com...crapbooking/Photo Albums

CloeTzu Offline
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:56:46 AM(UTC)
CloeTzu

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotGoingGreyGracefully Go to Quoted Post

...Lay out 30 foundations, preferably all in one space.
...select the pictures for each page, in order, and place them on your foundations.
Next select colored paper and diecuts
...and place paper on each foundation with the pictures. Do this as quickly as you can, don't obsess
... Do all 30 pages at once
....Then add any decorative elements, such as stickers, ribbons, brads, flowers, etc., that need to go on the page.
...Now stack them up (carefully!!) with the last page on the bottom. Put them in some kind of box that will keep everything together
...Now whenever you have 15 minutes or so, you can open the box and do the page (or 2-page spread) that is on top without having to drag out all your supplies. ...
HTH

NotGoingGreyGracefully - thank you so much for explaining this!! I have 5 yrs worth of stuff to catch up on and now am inspired to get going!

I had started an album 5 yrs ago and about half way through realized that I didn't like it. i wasn't sure why but i didn't enjoy flipping through the pages i had done. i was new to scarpbooking and it took time for me to do these layouts but didn't like them - then I realized that i prefered ones that flowed in a book and were coordinated. At that point I took almost every page apart to start over and redesign ;( it is still sitting there becuase i was overwhelmed.... and yes i'm one of those people that obsesses over the details Blushing

This method would definately work for me and help me go faster!!! And easily ensure i have a book that flows and is cooridinated!! I'm going to print out the summary above and stick to my desk to keep me focused!! THANK YOU for SHARING!
 1 user thanked CloeTzu for this useful post.
NotGoingGreyGracefully on 2/6/2013(UTC)
blondolphn Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:26:42 PM(UTC)
blondolphn

United States

Was thanked: 5314 time(s) in 959 post(s)
Hobbylobby had some scrapbook called scrapbook in an hour. The albums had prepared layouts and you just plug in the pictures. I think they were going for $35, but with a coupon it would be a steal.
SkyCandy Offline
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 5:26:16 AM(UTC)
SkyCandy

United States

Was thanked: 334 time(s) in 248 post(s)
Here is a visual aid for Power Layouts, large (new) pizza boxes are the right size for stacking your pages in while you work on them. Ask to buy a couple at your Pizza place, they will probably just give them to you.
Take a look at these pictures then click on 2009 to see part 2.
http://adashofscrapbooki...er-layouts-step-one.html
 1 user thanked SkyCandy for this useful post.
Leanner on 2/6/2013(UTC)
ottergirl Offline
#21 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 6:14:17 PM(UTC)
ottergirl

Was thanked: 175 time(s) in 142 post(s)
When I had less than a week to do an album for one of my daughter's 40th birthday party (from birth until 26 when she got married and started her new life) I used an Anna Griffin pre-done scrapbook (look on HSN) She has beautiful pages, with accents, flowers, places to write. Each album usually holds 30 4x6 pictures in 10 pages, but you can certainly cut your photos, add more, whatever you want. The hardest part was trying to pick out the pictures I wanted to use. I also added a few of my own pages but made them match the format of the Anna Griffin pages. Turned out beautiful!
Sunflowerbuggy Offline
#22 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 7:16:40 PM(UTC)
Sunflowerbuggy

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SkyCandy Go to Quoted Post
Here is a visual aid for Power Layouts, large (new) pizza boxes are the right size for stacking your pages in while you work on them. Ask to buy a couple at your Pizza place, they will probably just give them to you.
Take a look at these pictures then click on 2009 to see part 2.
http://adashofscrapbooki...er-layouts-step-one.html

OH WOW...I just saw at the post office pizza size shipping boxes. They were stacked on the floor with the other Priority boxes which are freeThumpUp . I thought "Perfect for scrappin" LOL
GypsyD Offline
#23 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 9:46:33 PM(UTC)
GypsyD

Was thanked: 1215 time(s) in 829 post(s)
My advice? Hire it out! Flapper LOL My dd is 13 and I only have her first year done! I kind of hit and miss. I don't mind. I scrap when I have time and enjoy the journey when I go back. I used to feel overwhelmed, but now it's a trip down memory lane for me and I really enjoy it! I'm also the type that usually puts a ton of thought into a page, so it takes me forever.

These girls that have the ability to plan things ahead make me green with envy! I think that is amazing! I'm spontaneous and sometimes I even combust!BigGrin

Don't be so hard on yourself. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job!
Polarbearla Offline
#24 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 7:22:16 PM(UTC)
Polarbearla

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 45 post(s)
These are a lot of great ideas! I looked at the Creative Memory power packs and that may be a really good way to go. Lots of ideas to think about and look at.

I don't have any pictures really of before I had kids so that's why I am not even further behind! I have a box of pictures of my husband when he was a child growing up and some of me and I may put that in one album sometime. Not sure yet.

I am also considering getting some spellbinder dies. I think if I created a foundation where I picked a 12 by 12 paper and than matted and framed my pictures with the spellbinder dies that would be fast and simple. Than I can go back and add some embellishments from my Cricut or purchase some. The Power Layout Box or something similar would be helpful with that. If I got all 2.5 years on 12 by 12 paper and the pictures nicely framed and matted I could just go through and enjoy decorating them up!
TinaW528 Offline
#25 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:38:45 PM(UTC)
TinaW528

Was thanked: 726 time(s) in 617 post(s)
There are some great ideas in here. Particularly when I am doing travel albums, I find it easier to use a power layout type system. My DD will soon be 3 and I only have the first 6 months done! While that is only 2.5 years, I didn't scrapbook everyday life before she was born!
Krissypapercrafts Offline
#26 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 3:17:30 PM(UTC)
Krissypapercrafts

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 103 post(s)
OMG... If I only was 2 to 3 years behind I would be jumping for joy! I have photo's from when I was a baby and I now have grandkids lol not to mention I have OLD photos from my grandmother, mother and father... my grandfather was a photographer...lol I have taken so many pictures over the years I don't even know where to begin. I have the same problem as some of you... I work 40+ hours and I'm so tired when I get home that I only scrap one or two nights a week! How do you all suggest I get started??? I am thinking I need to go through ALL my thousands of pictures and just pick the best ones and sort by the albums I want to make. ( I could do this while relaxing and watching tv) My photos are all mixed up and in many boxes, suitcases and old photo albums. How do you go about something like my mess? It's important to me to do these albums so they can be passed on to family! I have all of the pictures from my grandmother and grandfather that I know some of my family really would like. The albums I want to make are ... one of every person in my family starting with my great grandparents to the present (perhaps one or two special pictures of each person and a few special two page layouts of my mother, father, daughter, myself, and husband (even though we are divorced)... I still don't have a picture of everyone yet! (family members keep having children) lol I was planning on taking pictures of each page enlarging them, and putting them in a binder and giving them to certain family members, the original will be for my daughter to pass on. I also want to make an album of myself from a baby to present to pass on to my daughter, I want to make an album of my daughter from a baby through through her wedding, to pass on to my grandkids. plus I want to make an album of my granddaughter and grandson, and one with my close friends. Oh I also want to make my daughter a wedding album (I have over two hundred proofs of her wedding, plus tons of pictures) I can't forget an album of every pet I ever had and a Christmas album through the years! I have made about three other albums so far! I've been into making cards but I really need to work on my scrapbooks now!
I NEED SOME HELP on how I should get organized! HELP!