Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

dwullichdab2898f Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 11:46:50 AM(UTC)
dwullichdab2898f

Groups: Registered

I was wanting to use the Cricut to make vinyl lettering to put on glass ball ornaments. Which cartridge and type of paper would be best to use?
Soshescraps Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 12:15:11 PM(UTC)
Soshescraps

United States

Was thanked: 1113 time(s) in 882 post(s)
I've used just about any cartridge I like the font and or images on. The type of vinyl I use is the oracal 631 or 651. It's really easy to do. It may e tricky getting your image lied up right due to the shape of the ball.

Check on Pinterest and YouTube for instructional videos and ideas!

HTH
sewnmachine Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 12:26:19 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 252 post(s)
dwilli,

Well I assume you did not mean to ask which kind of paper. But now vinyl..... I have never used the expensive stuff that Cricut sells. However, I went to Walmart and for $5 got a huge roll of Creative Contac. It's in the shelf liner section. It only comes in white. I use it in place of vinyl. Here's how;

I cut out my shape ( keep the backing on ), then I cover it with a thin layer of Gesso. By covering it with Gesso I can then use my ink pads or markers or stamps....whatever. If you don't prime it with Gesso the surface is too slick to hold any color.

This material is thin enough to use just the regular blades, however, I ALWAYS use a deep cut blade in my regular housing for everything I cut. It has a sharper angle to it.

Do some trial cuts to get your blade depth and pressure how you want it. This material cuts very easily, however, I would probably try to avoid very ornate, intricate cuts. Just because..... why borrow trouble?

As far as cartridges go - I'm assuming you have some already. But 2 all time favorites of just about everyone is the CTMH (Close to my Heart) ART PHILOSOPHY and the ULTIMATE CREATIVE SAMPLER.
The ULTIMATE SAMPLER comes with 6 overlays. It also has an overlay for glass etching (if you would want to try that at some point).

Those 2 carts will get you just about any image you want - or close enough. They are both pricey, but in terms of value for the money they are well worth it. I bought them both on ebay. You can get some great deals there.
lisa say123 Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 8:45:16 AM(UTC)
lisa say123

It also has an overlay for glass etching (if you would want to try that at some point).

What does an overlay for glass etching do for you? I haven't done that yet, but is the project I am most excited about. I was just going to use a cursive font to put a name on a wineglass. Using contact paper and etching cream. Do tell. Thanks. Lisa
swatts66 Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 11:16:54 AM(UTC)
swatts66

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 1059 time(s) in 579 post(s)
I etched 75 votive holders for my daughters destination wedding in Key West. It was easy and fun to do. I used vinyl to do the overlays.