Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

southernscrappn3a9ab0cc Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:53:23 AM(UTC)
southernscrappn3a9ab0cc

Groups: Registered

So I will be making the tripto purchase a cricut expression in the next few days. I have never used one, but I have been wanting one for a long time. I have a business and I know this would help it tremendously. So my question is when I go and pick one up what other accessories should I also grab? Please any tips or suggestions would be wonderful! Thank you so much!
jenny dennis Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:16:09 AM(UTC)
jenny dennis

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 16930 time(s) in 4087 post(s)
SPATULA< SPATULA>SPATULA it makes it so easy to get cuts off your mat.I have the tool kit and use the scraper and pokey thing in it alot also the rest not so much. The spatula dosn't come in tool kit I got mine at walmart for $5dollars and some change worth every penny. The tool kit I think runs around 20 bucks.Happy Cricuting
CeceliaJ Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:20:18 AM(UTC)
CeceliaJ

United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 41 post(s)
The cricut is cartridge and cricut craft room only. You will need to look and see what cartridges interest you and what you will be making with them. You will need cardstock paper, the tool accessories are good to have. Glue or some kind of adhesive.
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:25:02 AM(UTC)
southernscrappn3a9ab0cc

Ok fantastic! Im taking notes..keep them coming lol..
Maxluv Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:45:31 AM(UTC)
Maxluv

United States

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 371 post(s)
Make sure the Cricut is what you want, like said above it is cartridge based, so you cannot import any other images into it to cut, you cannot make your own logo unless its on one of the cartridges. If you read this forum you will see people saying they didn't know it was cartridge based, thought they could cut anything they wanted with it, so make sure its the machine for you. Also you can read above click on New to Cricut.
swatts66 Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:46:58 AM(UTC)
swatts66

United States

Was thanked: 1059 time(s) in 579 post(s)
I haven't ever actually bought a cartridge at a craft store. I've gotten all of mine (approx 100) on Ebay, Amazon, walmart.com, cricutmachine, etc. On Ebay there is a seller, Taymeag2010, that is actually PC and they have good auctions. Also, right now they have the tool kit for $11.99 and free shipping on a buy it now.
CraftyMichelle Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:24:55 PM(UTC)
CraftyMichelle

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 34 post(s)
I've been the proud owner for two weeks so far of a Cricut Expression. One of the things i bought was a Zig 2 glue stick. The mat stopped being sticky after a day or two. I bought it on ebay. I bought alot of card stock paper to practice on from Michaels. I bought 4 cartridges so far off of ebay as well and i bought the tools with the pouch.
curious george II Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:02:36 PM(UTC)
curious george II

United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 63 post(s)
The cheapest thing you are going to have to buy is a cup of coffee (if you drink coffee) and alot of patience. I have learned that in learning my machine, which I love dearly, took alot of patience, forum room searches, and numerous cups of coffee. So of all the things that are mentioned on this thread (and they are all definitely needed trust me I have found that out) those other two mentioned by me are the two best pieces that I needed when I first opened the box. After that everything else is trial and error and cardstock, spatula, uhmmmm adhesive for the mats (definitely). . . and lots of forum love.

Curious II

PS- Shout out to all who through their unknowing have guided me through my voyage with my "I" my forum buddies from A to Z, from the US to England, to Austria to Canada. . . Thanks ever so much
Dragonfly50 Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:00:56 AM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1221 time(s) in 728 post(s)
Make sure when you buy new mats that they say Cricut in big letters across the middle of the mat.

There are some mats out there that do not work well.
Mine stopped being sticky after a few cuts.
Provo Craft came out with the new Cricut in the middle mats to replace them BUT you can still find them for sale places. At my Joann stores crafters buy the new mats and leave the old mats there.

I like to have at least two mats to work with at a time. That way I can be cutting with one as I take the cuts off the other.

Get some non-alcohol baby wipes to clean the paper lint that will accumulate on your mat.
I also take mine to the sink, run them under warm water and gently wash the paper lint off them.
You will need to wait for them to dry then they will be sticky again.
I have extra mats so I can use some while the others dry.

Make sure you mark your mat cover before you take it off so you will know which way it goes back on. Lots of people have said this helps keep the ahesive on the mat. I write the word top on mine with permanent marker.

And I 2nd the spatula suggestions!!!
The spatula is a must have tool. It helps you get your cuts off easier and it helps to lessen paper curling when you take the cuts off the mat.

Hope this helps.
D-

Edited by user Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:04:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: :)

#10 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 6:23:33 AM(UTC)
southernscrappn3a9ab0cc

Thank you all soooo much I am so excited and o yes coffee will be needed in sure. Thank you again! Im sure you all will see some aggrivated posts in the near future when Im having a blond moment with it haha..
CanadaJanice Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 6:39:11 AM(UTC)
CanadaJanice

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 66 post(s)
I also HIGHLY recommend the 12x24 mats. They are much more flexible, allowing much larger cuts. They are also great when using Gypsy or Craftroom, as you can often cut all of your layers at once.

They are also more cost effective, as they cost only a couple of $ more than the 12x12, but you get double the surface. Some people think you need to cut them to use with smaller cuts, but that is absolutley not necessary
Olivia'sNana Offline
#12 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 6:50:44 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 927 time(s) in 457 post(s)
TWEEZER BEES am absolute must for picking up and placing the itsy bitsy pieces. The fine point tip allows you to pickup off the mat, flip, touch with a dot of glue and place on your project. I use mine all the time even for larger stuff. It keeps glue off my fingers.
Olivia'sNana attached the following image(s):
IMG_5744.JPG
IMG_5743.JPG
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:56:24 AM(UTC)
southernscrappn3a9ab0cc

Thank you for that tip Olivia! I will be looking into those as well.