Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

ChristineCarrizales Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:23:26 AM(UTC)
ChristineCarrizales

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi,
I want a new craft desk/area and my dad will make me one..(gotta love dads)
so I just need some ideas:

How deep is your worksurface? My current desk is 25" deep. Should I go narrower? wider?

I am thinking I want a double-long station- like 80"-- so I can have a work area and a cricut/computer area-- with two places to sit, depending on what I want to do...

I don't have much more room than this. Most of my collection is stored in a nearby closet or underneath my current desk in stand-alone drawer unit.

I am thinking that we will 'build' this with pre-made drawer units/cubbies or bookcases underneath and a wood top, which my dad can finish off.

Any Advice? Anyone have any photos to share?
 1 user thanked ChristineCarrizales for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 2/19/2013(UTC)
Larmabee Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:27:42 AM(UTC)
Larmabee

Canada

Was thanked: 371 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Ha ha!LOL I read this and was thinking - How deep in "junk" is your desk?!
I use my kitchen island - it is 39 inches deep. Big enough for my machine and work area.
joyfullycrafting Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:36:29 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1464 time(s) in 1167 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Larmabee Go to Quoted Post
Ha ha!LOL I read this and was thinking - How deep in "junk" is your desk?!
I use my kitchen island - it is 39 inches deep. Big enough for my machine and work area.

Oh, that is too funny. I was thinking the same thing!!!!!!!

I have an old presswood desk that I painted yellow. And the paint stuck! So really, I don't have much work surface. When I need more, I set up a folding table or just a TV tray stand. Although I do have a couple of folding tables with my machines on them. Just not much work surface left on them after I get "stuff" on them.

jojoy Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:30:10 PM(UTC)
jojoy

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 12962 time(s) in 4056 post(s)
I don't have much room, so my crafting supplies are in different rooms. When I do craft, I have to use my dining room table.
CricketCMV Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:44:36 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8090 time(s) in 4733 post(s)
I, like Larmabee, use my kitchen island for a host of things when I'm working on a project. That's where I carry all my glue/scissors/papers/mat/you name it to put everything together. The counter is where I lay my papers on my mat to get good adherence and to tape the edges of my papers. It's nice and flat. I lay down waxed paper to do all my gluing with all my other stuff laid out at the top of the waxed paper (goes counter-width deep).

I actually do better STANDING when I'm working on my cards/projects. No leverage sitting down...for me. I have a lot of arthritis, so maybe sitting down works great for others.

My computer and machine, along with hard drive and printer are all on top of a dresser that I use in my storage room (it sticks out in the room....not up to a wall and parallel to the doorway so that when I walk in the room, the dresser kind of acts like a hallway). I have plenty of storage room behind the dresser for all my "stuff" and there are six big drawers in the dresser for other "stuff". LOL.

Our storage room (the only one in our home and I don't store things in the attic) stores mostly all my "stuff" for crafting! I do have eight bins full of Christmas, a cooler and several other household things we store in there; otherwise, most of it is my "stuff". I try to keep it neat.

After a few days of all the "necessary ingredients" used to make a card, it all gets put back away until the next time. I really hate having it all out for a few days, though. Usually, within a few days, it all gets drug out again!

I wouldn't want this any other way. I love having the kitchen island (one end of it) because it's wide and sturdy. You need "sturdy" to make cards....IMHO. I like moving from room to room to do different aspects of what I'm doing.

This is an interesting question.

Char

Edited by user Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:49:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GrammySue Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:58:17 PM(UTC)
GrammySue

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 100 post(s)
I have 3 work tables. The one I actually do my work on is about 30 inches deep. It is a good size and I have plenty of room for 2 people to sit across from each other. I think the table is 6 ft. long. Believe it or not. I still don't have enough room. NEED MORE ROOM. I think if I had a 20 x 20 ft room it would still be to small.

Grammy Sue
GrammyCris Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:12:06 PM(UTC)
GrammyCris

Was thanked: 1147 time(s) in 535 post(s)
I have a table in the center of my room that is 36" X 72" and is covered entirely with a plastic mat that can have blade cuts, paints and glues on it....i like the large space because I often have a daughter or grandaughter over and we have lots of room for scrapping.
LindainWA Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:42:19 PM(UTC)
LindainWA

United States

Was thanked: 942 time(s) in 552 post(s)
My desk is 30" x 48" and works as long as I keep it clean. I have another desk beside it making a "L" shape but it has all laptop and stuff I have out all the time, i.e. Tim's stains, my tool holder, stickles and a unit that has small drawers for eyelet, brads, etc. For me out of sight, out of mind so try to keep that stuff out where I can use it.

I would not go smaller than 30". I can have either my baby bug or expression on the end of this desk and still have lots of room to work.
Jooniper Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:23:44 PM(UTC)
Jooniper

Was thanked: 873 time(s) in 631 post(s)
I have 2 old and heavy office desks that are made of press wood and laminate top. They are both 36" wide and a little over 4 feet long. I have them butted together to take up one whole wall in my bedroom. Recently my hubby has taken over one of my desk's top shelf thingy that came on my desk, with a 50 inch flat screen TV. Love And there is room to spare to get a bigger TV if he so wanted. LOL

Anyways.... My main work table housed my Expression, my OTTLite caddy, my laptop, and a small media tower. And I had enough room for a work area between my laptop and Expression.

With that said.... since I got my Cricut Mini last week and put it in the place of my Expression, I have even more work space. But I do not make very many big projects like I use to, so the extra space is kinda lost on my now.

My other desk is where I house my printer, sewing machine, the 50" flat screen TV, my cardstock and my scrap paper file trays -- 2 legal sized trays. And there is still a work area there if I need it, but I just stack all my stuff I am using or used for a project over there until I put it all back in there places.

I believe I could actually get away with a 28" deep work table. I cannot really reach pass that and have to stand up to reach anything over 28". I'm too short. LOL
grammasue Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:41:27 PM(UTC)
grammasue

Was thanked: 465 time(s) in 265 post(s)
I have several 6-8 foot 30" deep folding tables place in a U shape that houses my computer, scanner, printer, Expression 2 and tabletop storage cubes to store mats, printer paper, etc. I would love to have the 36" deep table tops. 30" works but does get tight when you are matting pictures, etc. At the end of the U I have a hutch to store manuals, etc. Your dad is a jewel of all jewels. Good luck and let us see the end result.
grammasue attached the following image(s):
SCRAPBOOK WORK AREA.JPG
Scrappyone Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:45:44 PM(UTC)
Scrappyone

Was thanked: 477 time(s) in 407 post(s)
I prefer at least 30" wide table regardless of the length. It is especially good when working on 12" albums. I scrap on my old artist table (tilt top) and it is not large enough for scrapping. Recently, I bought a 30" x 30" table with a hinged leaf on each end. That means that I will not have a crack right in the center where I set and it will have flexibility whene I need to put the sides of the table down. I needed the flexibility with my room. The table is still in the box, so I cannot tell you how it is working out. I watched many videos on youtube to see other people's scraprooms and tables. Good luck on your search for the perfect table. If I had an Ikea in my area, I would have shopped there.
go-go Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:15:04 AM(UTC)
go-go

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1728 time(s) in 715 post(s)
At the moment, I can't see my desk! I haven't cleaned up from my daughter's big school project & Valentines.
But...when I can see it, my desk is a rectangular pine kitchen table. (you know the one. you see it everywhere with windsor chairs) I bought it at a garage sale & I love it. About 18" down the left side is taken up with my Ott lights & my amm toteally cool tote on a lazy susan. It holds all my "everyday" supplies. The rest is work space. I have to admit though,, that the entire table is rarely clean.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:16:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Annabella Offline
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:29:26 PM(UTC)
Annabella

United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 509 post(s)

I have two tables like what you would see at a wedding or Bingo. They are 6' x 28. It has just enough room to work and you learn you can not get out to many items begore you are working at a 6 x 6 inch section. It works for me!!!
Ireland Offline
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:45:37 PM(UTC)
Ireland

Was thanked: 262 time(s) in 193 post(s)
I have the expedit 4x4 shelf with the desk that attaches to it. I'm not sure the measurements but if you check IKEA.ca it has them. I find it wide enough and long enough for paper crafting but not for sewing. I also do not keep my cricuts on it. Those are on my paper cabinets. I thought I had a picture but the one I have just shows the two expedits 4x4 and my 2x4. I'm re doing my Craftroom right now, I'll post some pics once its done.
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:27:10 AM(UTC)
ChristineCarrizales

Thank you for all the advice and thoughts. I checked out some photos on pinterest and on the one of the boards on this site.
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:36:27 AM(UTC)
ChristineCarrizales

IKEA Link to craft table- extra long

I like this from IKEA. This 'system' of tables let you customize tops and drawers.

We have an IKEA a few hours drive away- It would be an adventure to journey to there.

Though my dad says we can pretty much make something almost identical with stuff from the Lowes and Walmart...

c.
Trinity Offline
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:47:54 AM(UTC)
Trinity

United States

Was thanked: 1192 time(s) in 594 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ChristineCarrizales Go to Quoted Post

I like this from IKEA. This 'system' of tables let you customize tops and drawers.

We have an IKEA a few hours drive away- It would be an adventure to journey to there.

Though my dad says we can pretty much make something almost identical with stuff from the Lowes and Walmart...

c.

This is the one that I have and love it. It has plenty of room even with 2 machines sitting on itBigGrin

Edited by user Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:48:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ireland Offline
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:23:49 PM(UTC)
Ireland

Originally Posted by: ChristineCarrizales Go to Quoted Post

c.

yeah see my craft studio would get eaten up with a table that long. My two cricuts sit on my paper cabinets. I have that Alex drawer unit though and love it. I can fit my SU Ink pads in the wider drawer standing up so I can see the colour/name of the ink. Another drawer fits all my ribbon that I have wound around cardboard to make for easier storage. For my next craft studio in the next house, I am going to do an IKEA Hack for my table. I need a nice long table for cutting fabric and one I found on pinterest will work perfectly.

it's 2 2x4 expedit shelves and one 2x2 expedit shelf on a piece of wood. then you just add cheap flooring to the top for cutting.

I also agree with your husband. If he or you are handy you can make the same tables from IKEA or anywhere by just going to lowes/home depot and buying the wood and cutting it to size.
Ireland Offline
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:01:04 PM(UTC)
Ireland

Ok, this is my craft area, well one part of it. I can't cut sewing patterns out here, but I do card make/scrapbook etc here. Excuse the mess. This room use to be my girls' playroom but at 3&6 they no longer need a whole room so I took it over from my teeny tiny windowless craftroom. hah Anyway, it's still a work in progress. It's taking forever to organize everything how I want it etc.

desk

My machines as I mentioned are over on my paper cabinet. That is not their perm. home though. I am going to get one of those kitchen carts with the wheels at one end and put my Imagine, expression and printer on that. Then I can move them easily where ever I want in my room.