Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

becca.mcasey77ac867e Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:26:15 PM(UTC)
becca.mcasey77ac867e

Groups: Registered

I just got the Cricut Expression for my birthday and I have tried everything! I'm ready to throw it out the window.
I've tried all different settings and cannot get the blade to cut all the way through the paper. I've changed blades and still not luck. Tried different settings for speed, pressure, blade, etc. Also tried different kinds of paper, from card stock to thinner paper. It goes from not cutting all the way through to ripping the paper. I need help or this thing is going to wind up out in the snow. I've even used the cheat sheets I've found online to change the settings. Could I have a defective machine?
MaryStillman Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:38:43 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1245 time(s) in 789 post(s)
If you can, call customer service tomorrow. Also, if you can watch YouTube videos online, search for some expression tutorials.

It is frustrating to have an expensive piece of equipment and not be able to enjoy it.

I hope you can get it working soon.

Mary
troymimi75dc940a6f Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:46:36 PM(UTC)
troymimi75dc940a6f

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
If it is the Cricut Expression 2 I have read lots of these with the same problem.

I have a Cricut Expression and really do love it as I think you will too once this is fixed. On the side of the green thing that holds the blade (sorry for my terminology) you will see numbers 1-6, and a little arrow. Check to see what the arrow is pointing at. I use to have mine on the 4 but have recently changed it to 6 and it seems to cut much better.

Also, make sure the green thing is secure in the housing unit. The first time I put mine in I didn't have it in the right place and after I tightened it up I could pull the green thing right out. I then unscrewed it and dropped it down and tightened it up again and it was nice and tight.

I hope this maybe helps.

Michelle
CraftyMichelle Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:48:23 PM(UTC)
CraftyMichelle

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 34 post(s)
I've had my Expression for about 2 weeks now and i have had issues with mine as well. I bought a lot of card stock paper and have practiced a lot till i finally got the right settings to cut through the stock and to cut through my vinyl but i finally got it. I had to call PC because my Expression wont update. I have to admit they are the nicest people you would ever want to deal with as far as getting help from. They couldn't help me and the only thing that i would need the update for is to be able to link my cartridges. At this point it not something that i have to do and everything else works like a charm. I do hope you get it up and running, i dont know why i didnt get one sooner. Good luck.
CowgirlUp Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:00:36 PM(UTC)
CowgirlUp

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 897 time(s) in 729 post(s)
also make sure your blade housing (the green part that holds the blade) the little arrow is straight on (facing you when your infront of the machine) don't know why but if that's off my cuts aren't right.
TammyPuckett Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:34:11 PM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Was thanked: 335 time(s) in 195 post(s)
Take your blade out of the housing & blow into it or take canned air & clean the housing out. Sometimes paper fragments get caught up in the housing. If you have the Expression, move your blade housing to the left & press & hold the red button for a few second to reset it. I have had to do that to my Expression before.
fariering719f9c08 Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:46:57 PM(UTC)
fariering719f9c08

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This is happining to me too! Ive had my cricut for a wile & it gets used alot, do you ever have to replace the green housing thingy?
jamiescoffee06489b20 Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 3:18:06 PM(UTC)
jamiescoffee06489b20

I just opened my Cricut Expression 2 and it will not work at all. I watched a video on how to use it to make sure I was doing everything correctly and nothing. The mat light comes on and then I load the mat and gently push it against the mat rollers and hit load mat, and it just puts the arrow to unload and nothing happens. The cut icon does not light up for me to select it to finish. I have saved the settings and chosen the correct paper and cutting depth also. (No card board in the machine from when I opened it either). The only thing that works on the machine is selecting the design and the mat light coming on. Any ideas as to why nothing happens?? Thank you
CricketCMV Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:25:23 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 8084 time(s) in 4730 post(s)
Originally Posted by: becca.mcasey77ac867e Go to Quoted Post
I just got the Cricut Expression for my birthday and I have tried everything! I'm ready to throw it out the window.
I've tried all different settings and cannot get the blade to cut all the way through the paper. I've changed blades and still not luck. Tried different settings for speed, pressure, blade, etc. Also tried different kinds of paper, from card stock to thinner paper. It goes from not cutting all the way through to ripping the paper. I need help or this thing is going to wind up out in the snow. I've even used the cheat sheets I've found online to change the settings. Could I have a defective machine?

Becca - Have you gotten any help with your problem? There are some good suggestions on here for things for you to try. Have any of these suggestions helped you?

Char
CricketCMV Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:27:14 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: CraftyMichelle Go to Quoted Post
I've had my Expression for about 2 weeks now and i have had issues with mine as well. I bought a lot of card stock paper and have practiced a lot till i finally got the right settings to cut through the stock and to cut through my vinyl but i finally got it. I had to call PC because my Expression wont update. I have to admit they are the nicest people you would ever want to deal with as far as getting help from. They couldn't help me and the only thing that i would need the update for is to be able to link my cartridges. At this point it not something that i have to do and everything else works like a charm. I do hope you get it up and running, i dont know why i didnt get one sooner. Good luck.

Do you ever want to try using CCR?

What do you mean your Expression won't update? Do you have a warranty on your machine? If PC is telling you there is no way to update your Expression, I would be sending it back for a new one. If you ever want to use CCR, you will need to be able to update your Expression.

Char
CricketCMV Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:29:42 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: fariering719f9c08 Go to Quoted Post
This is happining to me too! Ive had my cricut for a wile & it gets used alot, do you ever have to replace the green housing thingy?

I have never had to replace the blade housing and am using the original blade housing that came with my machine (Feb. 2008). I have used my Expression a lot. In fact, I have never had to replace my original blade.

I also have a MINI...the blade and blade housing work just great.

What is "happening" to you? Can you be more explicit? Maybe someone can be helpful here.

Char
 1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
fariering719f9c08 on 2/24/2013(UTC)
fariering719f9c08 Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:08:27 AM(UTC)
fariering719f9c08

Char,
Thank you for replying!
I have been using my cricut expressions alot since I got it. I have never had an issue with eather of my machines untill now. It all of a sudden started ripping paper & not cutting. I replaced the blade, ajusted the numbers on the green thing & tried to ajust just about evrything else. Its still ripping or worse yet not cutting all the way thru.
I am wondering if the blade housing can go bad?
 1 user thanked fariering719f9c08 for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 2/24/2013(UTC)
blondolphn Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:29:20 AM(UTC)
blondolphn

United States

Was thanked: 5291 time(s) in 956 post(s)
Housings can be replaced, but have you thought to check your mats? I don't get great cuts when my mats are either too sticky or arent sticky enough. If it's not sticky enough, it's usually an easy fix of me cleaning the mats off and then I great cuts again.
 1 user thanked blondolphn for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 2/24/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:10:38 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: fariering719f9c08 Go to Quoted Post
Char,
Thank you for replying!
I have been using my cricut expressions alot since I got it. I have never had an issue with eather of my machines untill now. It all of a sudden started ripping paper & not cutting. I replaced the blade, ajusted the numbers on the green thing & tried to ajust just about evrything else. Its still ripping or worse yet not cutting all the way thru.
I am wondering if the blade housing can go bad?

blondolphn made some good points in her post.

ALSO, maybe you need to RESET your Expression. I have never had to do this, as yet, but if I ever have a problem with my Expression, this is one of the things I might do after I checked out everything else.

Do you have a friend who has a blade that works properly? If so, maybe she would let you try it in your machine and/or vice versa....try your blade in her machine. Do you have another machine to try your blade/blade housing in?

Make sure you do have the screw in tight (without breaking....of course).

I have certain papers that just will not cut smaller images at all. Are you able to cut a larger image without tearing/ripping. I find, even if my mats are a little unsticky, that the larger cuts will still cut pretty good under these circumstances....but not the smaller images with some intricacy. Most of my papers are cardstock....but, not all. Some of the softer papers do great (I do have to back the pressure off those and turn the blade setting down to four).

I'm at a loss. Hope some of us are giving you some other things to think about...forgive me if I said some things over again. Just wanting to help.

Let us know how it's going and if you've ever gotten any resolve......ALL OF YOU!

Char

CricketCMV Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:12:24 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

I tend to use my blue tape around all my papers, burnish all the papers onto my mats.....and even on mats that aren't that sticky, I get good results.

Sometimes, if the mats are the problem, you can actually see the paper lifting up off the mat as the blade cuts and lifts up....the paper is coming up ever so slightly. That is a problem.

Char
mrsnigby4195123c Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 6:53:43 PM(UTC)
mrsnigby4195123c

Quote:
I just opened my Cricut Expression 2 and it will not work at all. I watched a video on how to use it to make sure I was doing everything correctly and nothing. The mat light comes on and then I load the mat and gently push it against the mat rollers and hit load mat, and it just puts the arrow to unload and nothing happens. The cut icon does not light up for me to select it to finish. I have saved the settings and chosen the correct paper and cutting depth also. (No card board in the machine from when I opened it either). The only thing that works on the machine is selecting the design and the mat light coming on. Any ideas as to why nothing happens?? Thank you

Hello there! I'm a papercrafting instructor for Michael's and teach a class called Cricut Test Drive, often troubleshooting for customers who cannot get their machine to function. I recently had a customer come in with an issue similar to yours. First, you need to contact PC customer service and get directions for a factory reset. They can email the directions to you and it takes about 5-10 minutes to complete (it may take a few days for them to send you the directions). The most important step in completing the reset is the screen calibration. For some reason, if the screen isn't properly calibrated, it interferes with the machine's ability to accept requests on the screen. The woman I helped could only get the functions on one side of her machine to work because she only calibrated half her screen correctly. Her machine wouldn't load or unload consistently and sometimes her images only partially cut or chewed through the papers. Once we reset the machine and calibrated it, everything worked properly. PC customer service by phone is the best and they encourage you to call them whenever you need to troubleshoot (I've had to do this many times on behalf of customers). I hope that helps you!

Edited by user Sunday, February 24, 2013 6:54:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kaylamtravis2a0802f7 Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 5:10:52 PM(UTC)
kaylamtravis2a0802f7

I am having similar problems!! I have tried to cut many different images...and the first few I did were great! Now...even with new mat (which I didn't think was the problem to begin with since my machine is new) I am still having the same problem. I am not sure what the definition of thin vs heavy card stock is and I'm afraid that might be the problem. I have adjusted blade, pressure, speed settings to every possible combination and still have the same problems:

1. Paper is tearing around edge of cut image causing paper to shred onto the blade...have to take out blade housing and pull paper off blade tip after each cut.

2. Paper bits are sticking to mat...so it's losing stickiness VERY fast.

I too am ready to throw the machine out the window. I have searched online for many possible causes...and I have tried everything short of buying new blade (again, machine is new)! So frustrated to watch YouTube videos of people making these gorgeous clean cuts while I watch mine destroy card stock! I read somewhere about not using "cheap" card stock...I am using Paper Studio brand card stock from Hobby Lobby (approx 60lb weight).

I have the Expression 2 and I am desperate for some answers!!!! Anyone...???Mad
Narelle Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 5:22:07 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Was thanked: 7864 time(s) in 3679 post(s)
Here's the E2 Reset instructions

Download the latest version of Cricut sync (if you don’t already have it.) http://www.cricut.com/home/support/cricut-sync

With the E2 turned off:

Plug your E2 into the computer and open up Cricut Sync
Select “Don’t Update Now” if it prompts you to update.
Select the “Help” option
Select “Troubleshooting”
Answer the 5 questions that appear as follows:
• Yes
• No
• No
• No
• Yes
You will be prompted to put your E2 into recovery mode. To do that:

Hold down the Home button, the Pause button and the power button together.
A blue screen will appear.

Once the troubleshooting process is complete disconnect your E2 and try using your machine again.
kaylamtravis2a0802f7 Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:04:29 AM(UTC)
kaylamtravis2a0802f7

Thank you for your response! I did the reset last night...still same problems!! Not sure where I am going wrong...any other ideas??

Issues:
Originally Posted by: kaylamtravis2a0802f7 Go to Quoted Post
I am having similar problems!! I have tried to cut many different images...and the first few I did were great! Now...even with new mat (which I didn't think was the problem to begin with since my machine is new) I am still having the same problem. I am not sure what the definition of thin vs heavy card stock is and I'm afraid that might be the problem. I have adjusted blade, pressure, speed settings to every possible combination and still have the same problems:

1. Paper is tearing around edge of cut image causing paper to shred onto the blade...have to take out blade housing and pull paper off blade tip after each cut.

2. Paper bits are sticking to mat...so it's losing stickiness VERY fast.

I too am ready to throw the machine out the window. I have searched online for many possible causes...and I have tried everything short of buying new blade (again, machine is new)! So frustrated to watch YouTube videos of people making these gorgeous clean cuts while I watch mine destroy card stock! I read somewhere about not using "cheap" card stock...I am using Paper Studio brand card stock from Hobby Lobby (approx 60lb weight).

I have the Expression 2 and I am desperate for some answers!!!! Anyone...???Mad

CricketCMV Offline
#20 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:58:11 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

I'm hoping CricutGena or someone else will come on and answer this question:

After RESETTING and/or RECALIBRATING our machines (I have the Expression), is it also necessary to RESYNC the machines? I'm wondering if doing anything else here might help kaylamtravis!

ALSO, kaylamtravis, I would now call ProvoCraft and see if they can help you further! You do need help!! ARE YOU ON THE LATEST UPDATE FOR YOUR MACHINE?

I'm asking this question here because many are reluctant to call ProvoCraft (although, I don't think they should be reluctant....I have always had great help from them) and if they need to do something further than resetting the machines, then that will be helpful.

Char
CowgirlUp Offline
#21 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:01:41 PM(UTC)
CowgirlUp

United States

Was thanked: 897 time(s) in 729 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kaylamtravis2a0802f7 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for your response! I did the reset last night...still same problems!! Not sure where I am going wrong...any other ideas??

Issues:

to fix your issues

1. try different paper, some papers just don't cut well in the cricut, and this can very from cricut to cricut. I have 2 cricuts, plus my sister in law has one and all 3 cricuts have different papers they just won't cut clean.

2. clean off your mat. Use like a dough scraper from the kitchen (you know like you use to get dough off a rolling board) or baby wipes to get the fuzz off and it will be sticky again.

I see that your using the paper studio cardstock, I personally have never have good luck cutting this paper, granted I've only had 3 packs of it because I don't live near a hobby lobby and had a gift card for there I needed to use so I just bought some basic colors online. The reason against "cheap" cardstock is because cheaper stuff tends to be more fibrous which doesn't cut well.

I use alot of the Recollections paper from Michaels (both in the packs and open stock) the packaged stuff is 65lbs. I also use a lot of the open stock core'dinations paper from Joann's and that is a 80lbs. Sometimes its not the weight but rather the quality, but those might help for references when it comes to weight. the higher the weight the thicker the paper. oh the other paper I've had really good luck with is the colorbok paper from Walmart. its a pack of like 40 or 30 sheets for $5.

Hope some of this helps.
 1 user thanked CowgirlUp for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 2/26/2013(UTC)
carolhanson89eb1cc0 Offline
#22 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:56:51 PM(UTC)
carolhanson89eb1cc0

Hi all,
For those of you having problems with your papers ripping, not cutting all the way through, etc., try going to www.aboverubiesstudio.com. Megan Elizabeth has a FREE cutting guide posted there that has cutting guides (pressure, speed, etc.) for bunches of different papers by manufacturers. Print it out.. it's a BIG help!

Carol
 1 user thanked carolhanson89eb1cc0 for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 2/26/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#23 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:14:11 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

CowgirlUp has some great suggestions. The link Carol gives is great, too.

I would add this: Everytime you cut an image, be sure to scrape your mat. If there are little cuts (slivers), glitter, a bare slick spot on your mats, you will not get good intricate cuts most times.

I use my bone folder and just hold it over an open wastecan and slide the bone folder down the mat. You will be surprised what sticks to your mat that you might not even see on there.

I have always used the plastic film that comes with the mats and replace it over the mat as soon as I take my cuts off the mat. It preserves the mat, IMHO.

HTH.

Char

Edited by user Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:14:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Darkestdreams_75def394 Offline
#24 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:00:07 PM(UTC)
Darkestdreams_75def394

I seem to be having the same kind of problem. I have the Expression 2. It was a Christmas gift from a wonderful boyfriend. I have used it off and on and was loving it until today. When using the preloaded font I cut out a sheet of numbers for a swap I'm in...then I tried to cut out a sheet of the shadows. When I try to cut out the shadows it doesn't cut all the way through the paper. It doesn't rip the paper, just doesn't cut all the way through. I've tried changing the blade setting and the speed and it doesn't seem to help. Has anyone else had this problem and did they find a way to get it right? I'm getting really frustrated with this problem. It seems to only happen when trying to cut the shadows...I'm grateful for any help that anyone can give me. Thank you sooooo much in advance.
KristanCrying
GadgetGirl11 Offline
#25 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 6:07:28 PM(UTC)
GadgetGirl11

I have a brand new Expression, direct from the factory. I *have* used a Cricut Expression and Cricut E2 before.

The mat that came with it is not sticky at all, and even when I burnish the paper onto it, the paper corners pop up when the mat loads, and some of the cut paper bits (small shapes) "float" and get in the way of the blade, damaging both the shapes that were floating in the way and whatever the machine is trying to cut when the shapes get in the way. Two other mats purchased separately (at the same time) are the same way. I've washed them under plain water (bottled water, so minerals from the tap water don't ruin the mats), and they'll be halfway ok for one cut, then bad again the next. I am assuming it's because the air is dry right now ... it's winter and the heat's on.

My bigger concern is that on the first 2 cuts, on medium pressure and blade set to 3, on Bazzill basics card stock, cut into the mat and tore the smaller pieces in the cuts. Now, however (as of the 3rd cut on this machine), even with blade set to 6 and pressure on max, it is not going through the same Bazzill basics card stock. It is also tearing the top of the paper.

I have followed the reset process.

The blade housing is facing forward and secured properly, and has not been touched between the first cuts that were too deep and the more recent cuts which are not cutting through the paper. I have been using the same brand, weight, texture (and even color) of card stock (all purchased same place, same time).

I have the same results using cartridges instead of Cricut Craft Room (does not cut all the way through the paper on maximum pressure and maximum blade depth).

I have plans to call PC for help, but I have a ton of things I need to do with this machine, and only a couple of days to get it done, so any advice that might save me a few hours waiting for business hours to make a phone call would be greatly appreciated.
deleted Offline
#26 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 6:59:28 PM(UTC)
deleted

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 54 post(s)
There were some bad mats out there for a while. Some said they could get them to work, but I never had any luck.

The good ones that are out now have a white border, green center part and have the word CRICUT across the middle of the mat. The "C" in the CRICUT has antenna on it. Those are good and sticky, but not TOO sticky.

A good mat makes all the difference in cuts.

You might be able to tape your cardstock to the mat as a temporary measure, to get your project done. Use blue painters tape all the way around it.

CricketCMV Offline
#27 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 9:05:11 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

snappishbumblebeebee (hope I spelled it right) is right! The blue painter's tape all around each of your papers will work good. I actually don't trust my mats too much (however, some of them remain sticky). I have original mats I bought in 2008 and 2009 (when I found some on sale, even though I didn't need them at the time). I have restickied the oldest one with ZIG Two-Way (repositionable) and still use it (have only restickied it once). I have made hundreds and hundreds of cuts on it. BUT, there are certain papers I have to tape down.

If I have five or six smaller pieces of cardstock/paper on my mat, I go around all four sides. I reuse the blue tape over and over and over again. I rarely have problem with cuts. I also cut the blue tape in half (for the sides, since when you butt the papers up to the lines on the mat, there's not a 1/2" mat left to glue the tape on. AND, if you're using markers, you don't want that tape to come over the line where the marker might go, so I keep the blue tape at the very edges of my papers.

HTH. I think I didn't get into any more serious problems with the mats because I didn't have to buy any in that period where they were bad. I'll be sure to watch for the CRICUT across the middle when I do go to buy some..........which won't be for a few years.

Char