Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

jjmm Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 7:25:07 AM(UTC)
jjmm

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 193 time(s) in 169 post(s)
I want to get one of these but wondered what people who own them think? Is either one better than the other? Thanks
scrappinUPstyle Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 8:12:21 AM(UTC)
scrappinUPstyle

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Both devices are good and have comparable capabilities. I think it depends on whether you are mainly an Amazon user or prefer B&N.
GrammyCris Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 8:18:03 AM(UTC)
GrammyCris

Was thanked: 1143 time(s) in 532 post(s)
I have a Nook and a Kindle and I don't really see benefits of one over the other. I would shop sale price...If you plan on using it just for reading I would get either of their basic ones, but be sure to get one where the screen can light up. If you plan on using it for reading and more, like a tablet get the HD models.

It used to be that the Kindle gave you access to more books and more free/deals but Barnes & Noble has stepped up and offer tons now too......book prices are pretty much the same from either. There is a web site called bookbub.com that has a lot of freebies and good deals too.

One thing you might consider is on the Nook (not sure if Kindle can do this, but probably can) you can insert a smart card and turn the smart card into an Android system allowing you to put your Kindle app on and you can operate the Nook through the original system or change to the android card and operate the Kindle. (My son did this for me and I have no clue how so I hope nobody asks me how to do this) LOL!
dorichatelain44314a80 Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 8:58:27 AM(UTC)
dorichatelain44314a80

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 115 post(s)
My daughter has a nook touch and I have a kindle keyboard and a kindle fire. I use my fire the most. I have noticed 3 very different things about the kindle keyboard and the nook. The nook is thicker and heavier then the kindle kb. To me amazon is so much easier to use then barns and noble and amazon has more free books available. amazon does have games for the kindle where the nook does not. the only nooks that have games are the nook color and the nook table. but you can get games for all kindles. where the fires have apps of all kinds the kindle eink readers has games. they are mostly word games but they are fun to play.

good luck

Dori
Cassie Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 10:29:22 AM(UTC)
Cassie

United States

Was thanked: 312 time(s) in 255 post(s)
I have a Kindle Fire and I love it! Like someone mentioned, I think it's a preference on whether you use Amazon or BN.
joyfullycrafting Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 10:40:06 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1448 time(s) in 1154 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GrammyCris Go to Quoted Post
I have a Nook and a Kindle and I don't really see benefits of one over the other. I would shop sale price...If you plan on using it just for reading I would get either of their basic ones, but be sure to get one where the screen can light up. If you plan on using it for reading and more, like a tablet get the HD models.

It used to be that the Kindle gave you access to more books and more free/deals but Barnes & Noble has stepped up and offer tons now too......book prices are pretty much the same from either. There is a web site called bookbub.com that has a lot of freebies and good deals too.

One thing you might consider is on the Nook (not sure if Kindle can do this, but probably can) you can insert a smart card and turn the smart card into an Android system allowing you to put your Kindle app on and you can operate the Nook through the original system or change to the android card and operate the Kindle. (My son did this for me and I have no clue how so I hope nobody asks me how to do this) LOL!

I did the same thing to my Nook, which I purchased way before the new Kindle stuff came out. I think if I were buying one now, I would go with a Kindle Fire, but I still really like my Nook Color. Especially now that I can download Amazon books to it.

Leahdax Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 2:06:51 PM(UTC)
Leahdax

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 354 time(s) in 253 post(s)
I'd get a name brand 7" android tablet (not some cheapo knock-off) instead of either the Kindle or the Nook. There's an android app for both readers, plus you can get apps for both the iOS and the sony e-readers. You can also get apps for scheduling, grocery shopping, gaming, GPS, just about anything.
sewnmachine Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 2:21:21 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 345 time(s) in 230 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Leahdax Go to Quoted Post
I'd get a name brand 7" android tablet (not some cheapo knock-off) instead of either the Kindle or the Nook. There's an android app for both readers, plus you can get apps for both the iOS and the sony e-readers. You can also get apps for scheduling, grocery shopping, gaming, GPS, just about anything.

I AGREE! I have the Kindle Fire - and it's wonderful - BUT! It has a very proprietary version of Android ( Silk it's called) and you really have to jump through hoops to side load any android app that doesn't come from Amazon.

I would get a Samsung or Google tablet ( you can find lots of good side by side reviews of both) with a PURE Android operating system. Go to the Google Play Store and down load tons of free apps (including the Kindle reader and the Audible audio book app)

The one feature I like about my Kindle Fire though, is I can "borrow" e-books from my local library, and they use a direct link for Amazon Kindle.

When my "mothers day" entitlements come in from my kids, I'm gonna get a new 10" tablet and say goodbye forever to this big ol honkin laptop.
LazyBee Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:20:33 AM(UTC)
LazyBee

United States

Was thanked: 638 time(s) in 305 post(s)
If looking for a tablet I would go with one of the major Android brand named tablets, preferably one that had an sd slot for expansion and a HDMI port. ASUS Transformer is rated very well and has additional features you won't find on some of the lesser known makers (like an attachable keyboard). Also get as much memory as you can afford. The thing about an Android tablet is you can run apps for both Kindle and Nook on them, and utilize your local library system if they offer that service, in addition the the thousands of apps in the Play Store. I check out books from 5 different library systems on my tablet and while I have a Sony Reader it has been somewhat retired because I no longer have to sync through my computer. I ended up getting a ASUS as I was thoroughly impressed by my sons in additon to the reviews I read. I use it every day and find I do not spend near as much time on my computer as I once did. Go online and look at the different specs to find the tablet that will best fit your needs, and if you can go to the store and play with them to see what features they have.
LauraLee1 Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 4:15:04 AM(UTC)
LauraLee1

Was thanked: 336 time(s) in 259 post(s)
I have the Nook tablet...my dad has the nook tablet HD...(much lighter than mine) :)
I have downloaded apps for my Nook...but now would rather have a google tablet...just more versatile, once you get the Nook reader and see it's capabilities, you start to notice the flaws too. Nook, Kindle, ipad all are proprietary to their store...google, has so much more available. You will have all the apps available to you except itunes...even that you can download as an app to a google...just some of the itunes apps don't go to an android.

Have a great day and have fun shopping. I know I choose my Nook because of the micro SD card capability and being able to change out my music as I wanted and pictures, etc. I use mine for my students in school and like that there are not too many choices for them at one time. (They really get surprised when some of the apps are missing the next day. :)

Have fun!
GrammyCris Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:46:02 AM(UTC)
GrammyCris

Was thanked: 1143 time(s) in 532 post(s)
Originally Posted by: joyfullycrafting Go to Quoted Post
I did the same thing to my Nook, which I purchased way before the new Kindle stuff came out. I think if I were buying one now, I would go with a Kindle Fire, but I still really like my Nook Color. Especially now that I can download Amazon books to it.

Another one you might want to try (my son-in-law put this on my Nook) is download aldiki.com to your android side...it is another ereader and has a lot of free books...my son-in-law added the entire Lee Child Jack Reacher series onto it for free......
PattyKondek Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:46:13 PM(UTC)
PattyKondek

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 47 post(s)
I have a Google Nexus 7 and love it. I use it as a mini tablet and as an ereader. I have the Kindle app on mine and get books that way or thru Google play. I have even used it with CCR (to keep this Cricut related!) you do need a flash enabled browser (I used Puffin) you can't hook your criut up to the tablet, but you can used the online version of CCR and design on it.
MissAnn Offline
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:41:30 PM(UTC)
MissAnn

United States

Was thanked: 395 time(s) in 302 post(s)
I have the first Nook, then moved up to the Nook tablet. My husband did the research and decided the Nook would be the best for me. I read a lot and can borrow books and loan books out. I don't have the Memory card yet, but plan to get one to use with my Cricut. I would go to Barnes and Noble ans listen to them demo them for you then compare it to the others. I know people that have all kinds and are pleased. Do the research first then make a decision. BigGrin
scrappinUPstyle Offline
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:41:32 PM(UTC)
scrappinUPstyle

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PattyKondek Go to Quoted Post
I have a Google Nexus 7 and love it. I use it as a mini tablet and as an ereader. I have the Kindle app on mine and get books that way or thru Google play. I have even used it with CCR (to keep this Cricut related!) you do need a flash enabled browser (I used Puffin) you can't hook your criut up to the tablet, but you can used the online version of CCR and design on it.

I also have a nexus 7 and love it for the same reasons. It's much more versatile than my nook color. I use my nook color mainly for reading now.
married05 Offline
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:33:21 PM(UTC)
married05

Was thanked: 232 time(s) in 198 post(s)
I have and love my Kindle Fire. So easy to use. However, it doesn't have a ton of memory, and you can't expand with memory cards, etc. (no slots for these.) I think it's because I have to many Cricut handbook pdf's saved. If I had to do it over again I think I'd go with a tablet instead. Like others have said, you can download the Kindle or Nook apps to any Android device.