Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

southgirltexas Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2013 8:56:35 AM(UTC)
southgirltexas

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 569 time(s) in 341 post(s)
I purchased Over the Hill Cart to make the top hat and cannot figure how to get the sides to match. Anyone know how?

Edited by user Sunday, March 24, 2013 8:57:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked southgirltexas for this useful post.
DarleneDuncan on 5/4/2014(UTC)
MaryStillman Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:37:40 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1245 time(s) in 789 post(s)
You might have the real dial size on. It should be turned off when layering. See in the pic below (if I can post it). The flower piece with the real dial size off fits over the base of the flower just perfect. In the picture of the real dial size on, the flower does not fit on the base.

Hope that helps.

Mary
MaryStillman attached the following image(s):
RealDialSize.PNG
southgirltexas Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:18:43 PM(UTC)
southgirltexas

Ty Mary but redial size was not on...just don't know how to put stovepipe section of top hat together to get it to look right.
Lady Stephanie Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:40:13 PM(UTC)
Lady Stephanie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I was delighted to find the top hat on the Over the Hill cartridge, but also struggled with trying to get the top hat assembled. I am not sure that the assembled hat fits together as I would personally like, but I was able to get a hat put together in an acceptable manner.

First thing I found helpful was to NOT put the glue on the heighth of the hat individual tabs. I put the glue on the back straight edge of where the tabs were going to go. I used Tombow Multi Mono glue and because it dries fairly quickly and tacky, that seemed to help my process. I tucked the tabbed side piece from the top down, tab by tab, making sure that none of the empty space between tabs was showing from the front. When doing this, you will be find a curve to the piece form (the bottom tabs being deeper than the top tabs). I did this with both of the hat height pieces (you need to have two height pieces to make one hat) and then joined the two curved hat height pieces together with the three tab/slit tuck in pieces on each side. The height hat piece will then look more like an eight paneled piece than a real smooth all around piece, in my opinion.

The top of the hat and the brim of the hat don't fit as exact as I would like and I find the tabs on them to be a bit too small to really be able to secure them on to the hat height piece. I used some washi tape and paper strips to try to secure the small tabs more to the hat height piece. I am finding the top piece fits the hat height piece fair enough, but the brim seems to be slightly on the bigger side. More practice putting the hat height piece together might help me widen the hat height piece on the bottom more, or I may make some notes and cut a slightly smaller brim in the future.

While the picture directions do give guidance on how to put the hat together, I wished there were more tips or suggestions offered with the directions. Maybe Cricut or someone else has figured out some good tips/guidance, so this top hat can really look good and classy when assembled.
 1 user thanked Lady Stephanie for this useful post.
southgirltexas on 7/31/2013(UTC)
southgirltexas Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:25:07 PM(UTC)
southgirltexas

Thank you, Lady Stepanie I will try your method...perhaps cut smaller than I want and try it bigger if I can get it to work.
DolyMadson99abe2a9 Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:05:35 PM(UTC)
DolyMadson99abe2a9

I know this a old post...but I just recently purchased this cart...so excited to try the top hat will 7 hours later & a huge stack of used paper & parts & yet to get one to fit together anywhere near correctly...grrrrr. real size was not on!!!! I am gonna try again tomorrow,cause I am not gonna be bested by it!!!! LOL...I hope u finally figured out..LOL I am re reading Lady Stephanie post,maybe that will help....